More tracks for everyone to practice mixing and have fun with!

Eck, I just checked your second mix on my studio monitors. The kick in my opinion was too loud and the bass was woofy. Guitars are a matter of taste I suppose. I still prefere the delay I used to your verb. I'll stand by my mix.:D

Thanks for the critique.
Yeah the kick was far too loud but I fixed that in my last mix. The bass is still a tad boomy but I'm sticking with my last mix.

Cheers,
Eck

The real trick is getting reverb to not sound like reverb............. :D

THAT is what I am working on. I've never tried doubling to this extent, its a really good lesson, but friggin aggravating . . . ha ha!

Do you guys know anything about ducking, or any ideas on this trick? Basically, I want to duck the snare out of the overhead tracks. I can try EQ, but I don't want to take too much away from the cymbals.

Also, did any of you use gates? I tried on the kick to eliminate snare bleed to fix my phasing problem, but I have a hard time with gates. It gets way too choppy at times.

Eck, I did reverse the phase on the cymbal tracks and I think that helped clear up phasing on the cymbals and the snare at the same time, but still working on it. Thanks for the feedback on that!

THAT is what I am working on. I've never tried doubling to this extent, its a really good lesson, but friggin aggravating . . . ha ha!

Do you guys know anything about ducking, or any ideas on this trick? Basically, I want to duck the snare out of the overhead tracks. I can try EQ, but I don't want to take too much away from the cymbals.

Also, did any of you use gates? I tried on the kick to eliminate snare bleed to fix my phasing problem, but I have a hard time with gates. It gets way too choppy at times.

Eck, I did reverse the phase on the cymbal tracks and I think that helped clear up phasing on the cymbals and the snare at the same time, but still working on it. Thanks for the feedback on that!

The snare in the OHs sounds great, please please leave it in!!
The problem is the snare in the kick track causes phasing so I replaced the kick with 1 of my own samples. You could nudge the kick so its in phase with the snare.

Eck

Sound replacement, that is something I have been trying my han at lately, too. How do you do it? Drumagog, or do you create a midi file from the kick track?

The snare in the OHs sounds great, please please leave it in!!
The problem is the snare in the kick track causes phasing so I replaced the kick with 1 of my own samples. You could nudge the kick so its in phase with the snare.

Eck

Gotta agree with Eck here. The OH sound is great. I wouldn't duck it at all. The drum tracks have some phase coherency issues that need to be addressed. I only used a little bit of the bottom snare in my mix - no top snare at all. Most of the sound is the OH's. I replaced the kick so that wasn't really an issue for me either.

edit - no gates for me, but drumagog was a 50/50 blend with the original kick I believe, so that is effectively gating it down 50%. I cut out everything but the tom hits in the tom tracks, so that too is in effect gated.

Well I got a whole lot more mixes to listen to. So far I’ve caught Eck's "final" mix (we all know you'll be back for another round). And I realllllyy like this one, sounds very good. I still can't get the bass sound you're getting, I get lost with some of the compression settings (attack release). My only problem is the kick, but I think it was just recorded poorly, and alot of things are just preference, I like a real deep thump with some attack so it jumps out slightly. I'm sure others think differently.

Alot of good discussions are arising as far as reverb, phasing, delay, compression goes. So that’s good as well. I still have to listen to the remaining mixes so Ill be getting back to everyone that posted. Sit Tight :cool:

I never even thought to look for phasing issues in the kick drum mic, I'll have to check that out. For my close miced snare tracks I nudged them over to be alligned with the overheads and I like the sound it gave me (there might even be some slight phasing issues because i didn't get it on perfectly but I like what it gave me.

Also - On my mix I EQed the hell outta the kick, a big boost at around 65-75 a small cut in the mids and then another I'd say "medium" boost at about 2.3k

Well I got a whole lot more mixes to listen to. So far I’ve caught Eck's "final" mix (we all know you'll be back for another round). And I realllllyy like this one, sounds very good. I still can't get the bass sound you're getting, I get lost with some of the compression settings (attack release).
Thanks Nick.
Heres the link to a picture of all the settings I used for the bass guitar.
They go in the order from top left to top right then bottom left to bottom right.

https://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/Serotone/BASSCHAIN.jpg

You may have to zoom in on the picture to see the numbers.
Hope this helps. :)

Eck

Heres my very final mix. :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10845

I lowered the kick drum as it was stupidly loud!
I also brought the low end of the toms down a bit.

Now I'm happy.

Eck

Hey man, sounds good! A few thoughts:

That bass sounds fantastic! Good job. As I see from your jpeg, there was quite a bit of effort put into it, too.

The style of kick doesn't fit to my ears. To me, it still needs a litle less volume, more acoustic boom in the low end, less beater, and possibly less compression as it sounds squashed. I would use a different sample all together. How did you do your sound replacement?

As with my mix, the drum roll in the beginning needs to start a bit lower and then come up using automation. Though, just a little, it still sounds good.

That hat is blaring. I had this problem, and I had to notch a bit in the high's to take the edge off, but really that can be helped using a multiband compressor or a sidechain to keep those highs down without effecting the cymbals.

Other than those little things, you got skills Eck. Good job!

Damn I just listened to my mix on my home stereo - I just got new monitors on wednesday, and this was the first thing I mixed. Damn, I misjudged the bass totally. CRAP!

edit - Eck - That "flaring" thing I was talking about in your bass is IN THE TRACK. I am just an idiot, and blew threw this a bit too fast on new monitors. Now that I'm digging into the bass, there is a serious room node in the tracks - at least I think that is what it is.........

Last edited:
Here's my first try, done in a hurry. Had trouble with the hats which "flared". Tried to use reverb to take away some of the "definition".

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=10860

Thanks for the great tracks.

BTW, your mix in the contest is fantastic - pure energy on the drums and bass. Please let me know how you got the snare sound.:D

pretty nice mix man, again i like your bass sound over mine. There's alot of verb on those drums, I think I might go with less verb and let the high hat flare instead of drownding the rest of the overhead sound, but thats just me.

Thanks for the mix compliment, I almost forgot about that. I through that together way to fast and when i was sick and my ears were all plugged up :mad:

are you asking how I got the snare sound on this track or on the mix contest?

Nice to hear everybody elses mixes great job :)

It would be nice to hear some feedback about my version what i posted earlier.

Nick: Do you have anything else from these guys the band is really good?
And what mics did you use in snare and what was the positioning of the bottom mic? What about OH, what technic did you use, i really like the snare sound!

Nice to hear everybody elses mixes great job :)

It would be nice to hear some feedback about my version what i posted earlier.

Nick: Do you have anything else from these guys the band is really good?
And what mics did you use in snare and what was the positioning of the bottom mic? What about OH, what technic did you use, i really like the snare sound!

Hey thanks alot, YEAH I have more! probably closing in on 20GB of audio data from them. We are doing a full album so we have a bunch of songs in the works, and a couple complete ones. I want to upload a full song but im not sure how much space it would end up taking up, and it's not my server ethier. So I'll have to ask NL5 to double check ( on second thought, maybe ill delete these files and upload new ones ). I have an acoustic song with drums and bass and vocals nearing completion so I may upload that. All the other songs are in the 25-35 track region.

I posted a picture of the snare and the mic set-up on the first page of this thread ( check it out ) its two 57s. the overheads are rode NT5's used as a spaced pair. My kits cymbals are pretty seperated ( i have the ride and crash 2 on the right side and the hats and crash 1 on the left ) so i placed 1 mic about 4 feet over the ride and the other one 4 feet above the hats aimed directly down. Hope that helps some

pretty nice mix man, again i like your bass sound over mine. There's alot of verb on those drums, I think I might go with less verb and let the high hat flare instead of drownding the rest of the overhead sound, but thats just me.

Thanks for the mix compliment, I almost forgot about that. I through that together way to fast and when i was sick and my ears were all plugged up :mad:

are you asking how I got the snare sound on this track or on the mix contest?

You're right about the verb. It's a bad trade-off. I'm going to remix it.

I liked the full sound of your mix in the contest and, being a drummer, the snare sound "caught my ears". It seems to have a lot of body coming from the OHs and keeps a steady tone throughout the song in spots where mine seems to change. I tried some different fast and slow comp and EQ settings and balancing with the OHs but could not immitate it.

You also managed to get a well defined bass sound which does not conflict with the rest. That's the best 1/2 hour mix I've heard!:D

I posted a picture of the snare and the mic set-up on the first page of this thread ( check it out ) its two 57s. the overheads are rode NT5's used as a spaced pair. My kits cymbals are pretty seperated ( i have the ride and crash 2 on the right side and the hats and crash 1 on the left ) so i placed 1 mic about 4 feet over the ride and the other one 4 feet above the hats aimed directly down. Hope that helps some

Yes thanks, i didn't notice those mics earlier on the picture, i was dooling on the snare hehe :)

It would be nice to mix a complete song with vocals!

Here is my version again if somebody missed it:

I think it's quite good, but i have to get the lower bass littlebit punchier with the bassdrum and to my taste the cymbals are bit too hifi but i have to work on those again when i have free time, but do you guys have any more advices?

Hey man, sounds good! A few thoughts:

That bass sounds fantastic! Good job. As I see from your jpeg, there was quite a bit of effort put into it, too.

The style of kick doesn't fit to my ears. To me, it still needs a litle less volume, more acoustic boom in the low end, less beater, and possibly less compression as it sounds squashed. I would use a different sample all together. How did you do your sound replacement?

As with my mix, the drum roll in the beginning needs to start a bit lower and then come up using automation. Though, just a little, it still sounds good.

That hat is blaring. I had this problem, and I had to notch a bit in the high's to take the edge off, but really that can be helped using a multiband compressor or a sidechain to keep those highs down without effecting the cymbals.

Other than those little things, you got skills Eck. Good job!

Thank you for the kind words and critique.
I used Drumagog to replace the kick drum using 1 of my own samples. Yeah the kick is pretty rocky stylee. I did take alot of the 5K from the kick to make it less hard rock/metal although it is still pretty punchy.

I don't hear the issue with the hi-hats. Maybe your monitoring set up is exaguratring the high mids? I've checked my last mix on a good few differentsystems and don't hear any high end issues.

Thanks man,
Eck

Just wanna say thanks again to everyone for posting all the attempts, some good stuff on here. Good to see everyone learn.... still can't get my bass like that :o haha

Back