The Monster And The Maiden

NashBackslash

Click here to download (or stream) -> The Monster And The Maiden

This is a metal band I recently engineered. I also play in it. I would like some honest and professional comments on the sound. I'd also like honest and in-your-face comments on the performance of everyone in the band.

Thanks for your time...

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the snare tone at all. That, and the vocals sit a little funny to me for a metal mix. I think they might need to be compressed a little more than they are.

Besides that, sounds preeeeeetttty good.

Peace.

The first voice could be a tad louder.

Damn nice playing, not a bad overall mix too.

...Needs more balls.
I know it's "melodic" but some decent thump and grind is lacking.
But pretty nice as it is.

Thank you for your comments. I myself don't like that snare but my drummer insisted on it. :(

Regarding the vocals... thanks for the feedback. I realize it isn't typical to have that kind of singing and volume level for a metal song but I thought it was something different than the norm. I'll see what I can do about it.

Thanks again for listening! Always willing to accept criticism and learn something new. :)

Only thing is "out of mix', IMO, is the left channel cimbal (a little "plastic" and not in the same "room" of the band.Cimbal groove is a little strange too....).
The mix (master?) yet highly compressed, sounds pretty good.

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/openstation

This has a nice late 70's classic rock sound to it...nice stuff! Drumsound sure fits that age...

Cheers
Joe

This has a nice late 70's classic rock sound to it...nice stuff! Drumsound sure fits that age...

Cheers
Joe

oops! This comment was meant for Steppinonmars's song!

Sorry man, still think your song is great. A bit more balls maybe, but great damn musicianship!
Well Done!
Joe

Hehe no worries, I kinda figured you posted in the wrong thread. :)

What exactly do you mean by more balls? Which player are you talking about? Or are you talking sonically (in terms of the mix)?

Thanks for your comment. :)

What exactly do you mean by more balls? Which player are you talking about? Or are you talking sonically (in terms of the mix)?

The aggressiviness required by the genre just isn't there, even if the mix is balanced. It needs to be more "In your face" and hitting hard!
More bass, kick and the guitars up close.
It needs to sound like you're right in front of me attacking, now it sounds like you're far away.
The melodics make that harder, at chorus this sounds more like a boyband than Metal!:eek: (like at 03:50)
More palm-muted hammering to back up the noodling, to make it "convincing".
,,Damn hard to explain...:o

Hehe no worries, I kinda figured you posted in the wrong thread. :)

I mean kind of a more "in your face" power metal that pushes you to the wall. Bass should mybe be more aggressive, maybe with a bit more gain. Drums just need that aggressive banging edge. The recording sounds a bit too nice and I think it should be meaner.
I was talking about the mix as a whole not any particular player. Like I said I think the the playing's really good and I like the song and arrangement too.

Cheers
Joe

Back