"Monkeyfart".....

Guernica

Hey fellas,
Ive got a baby on the way, and as a result, have been evicted from what was once my little studio (soon to be the baby's room). Well, Ive been relocated to a room that I built in the garage that i think is gonna work out fairly well. A buddy turned me on to a little spleef for the occasion and I spent last night hooking things up...... This tune was still on my board so i decided to hack the pig up and try a quick remix using some of the helpful tips you guys graciously threw my way. ........well here is Monkeyfeet - the stoned mix.........w/ a little help from my keys.

btw: definitely need some bass traps in that room!!!!!

thanks a bunch for listening:)
g

http://www.nowhereradio.com/guernica/singles

LOL...there must be about 10 people trying to download this from NWR right now. Let's see...the download rate is all the way up to...hold on... yup, 4kbps. hehehehee....

Personally, if I were you, I'd consider it a compliment.

I'll be back in approximately 2 hours (but that's in microsoft time, so who knows).
2 hours later...This tune and mix has always kicked so much ass, it'd be really tough to break it. Being the instrument purist that I am, I should probably bitch about the "horns," but I refuse to do so, b/c they fit.

"It's fun to see a car wreck, but not when you're the star of the show"

What a great line...lol. Oh, Michael (2 yrs. old) still loves it, so I guess you didn't break it.

Last edited:
Buds or not........

This is still a great mix!

I hail this as a perfect example of the Originality found in this clinic.

Burn another G.............

And congrats on the additional G jr.
Now you will be able to catch Spongebob for the next 10 years!!

Don't forget Ed, Edd, and Eddy !!!!!!

It really downloads slowly...I don't know why. Great harmonies!!!! Man...I am still continuously blown away by what I hear on this forum! Great writing, production and performance. I'm really impressed. Great job!!

10? Try 400!!!

Read the forums re the 'gear needed' bit. I've done some weaseling around to get some good deals, but now we need folks to step up to the plate...

W.

sounds fantastic man!

the extra goodies invested in there really add a bunch

top notch as always brother G

Congrats on the miniture g or g'ette' entering this planet!

thats great

With a thread title like that, I couldn't resist listening :D Mix sounds kinda mono with the exception of the crash cymbals. The tune is very groovy and I like it. Your vocals sound eerily like Sam at places. The whole mix could use a bit more of the stereo field. Awesome slap-bass solo there. Wow :O This song sounds like it could work very well on MTV or something. Well, actually this is too good for them bastards :D

Nice opening harmonies. Very punchy drums! Lots of fun stuff going on. Polished, then the funky bass & funky axe. Very good vox. Ooooh. More cool bass, slap it!

Let us know which mic, pre, etc. you used on the vox.

Excellent job. I'm throwing it on my frequent play list!
:cool:

Thanks for listening fellas.......
......I hacked about a minutes worth of ugly flab off of this. It could probably lose another 30 to 45 seconds to streamline the arrangement a little more, but that would mean a re-record...... ......and I AINT FUCKIN DOING IT!:D
-Cranky- I agree regarding the mono statement.... It sounds that way to me too. I think that is largely due to the really processed (almost plastic) sounding distorted guits in this. Ive got a few purchases to make to correct that problem.

........one thing about that new room,
.....ya get really high in there.......... :D

Fun-kay!

Tried to stream this earlier but NoWhere was too slow. Ended up DL'ing and it took a while.

Sounds good! Nice chops! I like that roomy drum sound. Humor is always good.;)

Who says you can't mix while buzzed?:D

i definitely remember the song, but not well enough to remember the first mixes' specifics..........thus, all i can say is great job..........amazing mix

Guernica,

Keep in mind that the following critique is biased. That is, I'm sure I've listened to the original mix of this song 30-40 times .... I'm not kidding. So, I've really become a fan of the "original".

For the most part, I did not like the added synths. I MIGHT get used to them after 30-40 listenings ... LOL.

However, I did like the way you shortened the song. I especially liked how you cut from the chorus to the "I got two left feet" rap, instead of the interlude you had before. The previous interlude didn't work for me. Your ears must have been burnin, because this is the exact way I felt it should go.

BUT, I think the added "horns" take away from the "new cut". On the original , I liked how the "I got two left feet" rap jumps in suddenly. It's quieter than the preceding music and creates a cool contrast. It's a classic production technique that worked great in this song. BRING IT BACK .... LOL. Well, if you don't, I still have the original.

Finally, the fade out works better too. But, I always thought that you should fade out during the final chorus. By this point of the tune, I'm usually bopping behind the steering wheel and when you jump back to the funk guitar and bass, it stops me in my tracks. That's just a personal preference though.

BPOCO - because I care DAMN IT !!!!

[edit] I don't suppose you'd post this version without the synths? No pressure.

nice rework.. it is better shorter.. great vocals.. how did you get the 'got no business being on a dance floor' vocal effect in the right speaker?

dude, I don't like the synth additions at all.. the sound or the volume of them.. the notes they're playing are O.K. I guess.. the dirtier guitar sounds a bit out of intonation to me.. noticeable at the end when you let the distorted guit ring out..

very minor nit picks that most people wouldn't notice/care or complain about..

great job with the vocals, and of course the bass!

again I say this reminds me of the Chili Peppers with better vocals..

-edited for additional negatives- :D

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

LoppHey man, the mics were: NT1000 on accoustic guits, and verse vocals.... cheap AT dynamic on chorus vocs ...both through dbx mini-pre (garbage:D ) ...thanks for the listen man.
:)
M.Brane:) thanks for listening bro.

Powder thanks alot for always listening man....

BPoco I knew i was gonna get ripped on the "toy" horns:D
Chris mentioned it too. I guess I kinda felt that the "light" nature of the song kinda gave me permission to do that...... .....but after listening a few times..... ...I guess the song was wrong :D Great call on the bridge/to spoken part transition. ...that was kinda tough to edit right. ....the change sounded clumsy w/ nothing to grease it in...... I put those horns there to kind of transition into an abrubt change. I guess i agree that the horns didnt pull it off that well, ....but it needed something.... ....I'll work on that. Thanks for the solid listen bro!!

Sam- :D :D :D ...As i put those horns down in my "relaxed" state, I thought to myself......... Sam is gonna hate these:D .....I agree withcha:D Like i mentioned to poco, with the lightness of the song, it kinda felt like cheaper sounds might slide.....:rolleyes: ....I think if i could "Emphasize" the notes of the sound more, it might sound a little better.... I'll work on that.
Re: the fade out intonation..... as both you and steve know..... this song had and issue w/ a certain tuner......so who knows:D

thanks for listening to this again fellas :)

I forgot the most important comment..

Congratulations about the bun in the oven!!! that kicks!

BTW,

B.SABBATH said:
how did you get the 'got no business being on a dance floor' vocal effect in the right speaker?

I like the new version better. It seems to keep the feel up better. The additions are good. I`d like a little more crisp on them, but they are good ideas.

I still love this song a bunch.

I liked the addition of the horns. I didn't like the addition of the "drone" synth in the chorus (where the toms are playing). I thought it had better punch without the synth.

The horns in the verses might be just a little on the hot side.

I wonder if a little horn part in that little section near the end (begins with you singing, "dancing is more than your feet could ever know") would sound cool. I'm thinking it would.

Along with erichenryus, I'm more than a little sceptical that a guy who plays bass like that can't dance.

Back