Moleman Blues (junkie rock)

Stevie_M

Sample track off my new solo project. I think it sounds pretty decent, but maybe I'm just insane? I am in dire need of reassurance and/or critique. I've listened to my tracks so much now that I'm naturally adapted to them, so I want to try them on some fresh ears. Specifically, I'd like to hear opinions of my track based on these two points:

1. How it sounds from an emotional perspective. Barring any technical/production impurities, does the track have soul and balls? Does it move you? Is it unique/interesting? How does it sound from the perspective of the AVERAGE listener?

2. How it sounds from a professional/commercial standpoint. Quality of the recording and the mix.

Thanks so much guys!

*NOTE* I am aware the song starts abruptly. It is an intentional stylistic choice**

A lot of the lyrics are hard to understand, volume wise. I like a lot of the elements of the song. Can't hear any bass guitar here at all though. The low end is MIA to me.

The guitar entrance at 1.00 needs attention for me, it sounds skewwy. The abrupt drop of the guitars at 3.29 sounds out of place where the other parts previously like that sound pretty good because the lyrics carry it over.

Good start but needs a little work for me. I think it's a good song. :thumbs up:

I agree the vocal sound could be better, but its not terrible, and the bass is very low in the mix. The lead guitar comes in/out very abrubtly. Are you using a good set of monitors?

The drums - kick drum booms a bit & spreads wide in the stereo image.
I can hear the growl of the bass a little but can't get a sense of it's bottom end at all.
The "Ha" thing only works the 1st time - as does yeah - ity's a bit '1972 really.
The main guitars sound dull, dense, overcompressed and a bit like a rejected Ziggy Satrdust backing track.
The lead is OK but gets silly loud & just flies around ABOVE the mix.

Thanks for the honest critique. I can tighten the bass kick into a narrower image. I've got a basic bassline, but I didn't really like the tone on it, so I mixed the bassline relatively low. I realize the guitar tone is pretty compressed and gritty, which is partially due to my inexperience making tone and also partially intentional. I realize the tone may not sound commercially "correct", but does it have appeal and character in its own regard?

LOVE the Ziggy/Ronson compare, even if it's only a rejected backing track! :-)

You could EQ the bass to get some more definition and maybe some low end energy. Try the Motown bass thing of -3 Db at 100, & + 3Db at 200. Then fool around at 3Khz for a very narrow boost .
Try a bass manager (Stanford is good) to creat a mono bottom end in the stereo drum image - it can also or instead be used across the master buss to give a powerful centre and enhance the stereo image.
Keep working at it as it seems to be a good song.
If you want a good template for Junkie Rock try The Heartbreakers LAMF.

Back