Moe Joe - I'm Alright (Ramon Pankow Mix)

vitaminx

Hi folks,

This is my submission for the MC049 Mix Challenge, this time it's a Blues:

Moe Joe - I'm Alright (Ramon Pankow Mix) by Ramon Pankow | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The song is a production by the Blues Quartett "Moe Joe" and it is a session recording from 2008.

I really like old Blues recordings, so my goal was to come as close as possible to a 60s vintage sound, maybe resembling a live session, so I tried not to use too modern mixing techniques, of course no pitch or timing correction either.

Everything's done with Reaper on Debian Linux.

I'm not allowed to change my mix, so this is final, but still I would appreciate any input from you guys and girls :)

Have fun listening :)

Love the blues especially vintage blues. I think you captured that old sound pretty well. Good job.

Oh man....you nailed it for sure!! The live small club feel is perfect.....right down to how the vocal reverb sits in the mix. You even got the stereo separation correct IMO........with the lead staying to one side the whole time and the walking rhythm to the other. Nice one!! The blues genre is my favorite.....and it takes a good one like this to make me smile. Thanks for the listen.

cool recording,
it's clear and full, but sounds like a live recording, with the drums pulled back like you'd hear it in a club

it's a really good approx of a 60's style recording, but i'd distort the vocal mic a bit and roll off some of the high end to get it even closer.

it's a nice tight but loose jam, just right, gotta a good feel and vibe.

It sounds like a live recording. I don't know if that was what you were going for. But it doesn't sound like a studio recording.

Energy and musicianship was good.

I liked the guitar sounds.

Drums were OK. Snare was decent. But the riding of the crash (or was it an open high hat) didn't really fit.

Thanks everyone! Glad you like the mix. :)
I've compared to a few more Blues recordings from back then and I noticed that the vocals indeed could use some more saturation.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Back