Modern Classic Rock Song - no vocals yet.

get2sammyb

Hi guys,

My band started recording just recently for our first demo and it has been going pretty well. One of our songs "Stay On The Stairs" has been really making some progress and I'm starting to get a sound I like. This is like my third mix or so - and I have now (I think) managed to get some sort of balance between the bass and kick drum. I have given lowered the volume of the guitars to make everything stand out a bit more and have given everything a bit of a polish. However I am no expert.

I have a number of niggles with the mix (and maybe a bit of a tracking problem with the solos so I might get those re recorded) but in terms of the mix where do you think the problems lie? I'm not going to post what I think the problems are as it may draw them immediately to your attention - but I'm sure you professionals will pick up the problems. If you could point me in the direction of an tips for making this mix (and future ones) better - then please reply.

Thanks so much in advance. Here is the link to the MP3.

Clicky

The hihat? off to the side sounds really wrong to my old classicist ears.
The bass needs a tiny bit of definition (you'll drop some of what you have with a vocal sitting across it) & the bass drum needs a boost & definition too.
The guitars are too polite quite given the vol of the snare.
Please repost with vox.
the keyboard is very cheesie 80's - i assume that's intentional.
Good work so far.

Hey Ray C,

Thanks very much for the advice. Would you advise bringing the guitars up or taking the snare down?

I'll bring the hi-hat in a bit more, and try and compress the bass drum and bass a bit more. I've also noticed that the snare is a bit too bright on some speakers so I might cut some of the high mids a bit.

Thanks for the advice :)

Anymore would be excellent.

Back