Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mixing wih subtractive eq song demo

Thanks

mixing wih subtractive eq song demo

Sign in to disable this ad
    Thought Id share this. Been practising subtractive eqing and notching out frequencies. This is a song idea not finished more interested in getting the sounds right just looking for any comments in regarding frequencies. Is it too boxy is it to gritty

Thanks
    Try something. Just a suggestion:

Turn down the volume so you can just barely hear the mix. What do you hear? The obvious should be your first thing to address in the mix.

Again, just a suggestion.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Try something. Just a suggestion:

Turn down the volume so you can just barely hear the mix. What do you hear? The obvious should be your first thing to address in the mix.

Again, just a suggestion.
    Cheers I know i did get some whistles out the guitar compared to the original. and the mixes are improvng but its jjust not there. A lot better than last year though, finally my ear can pick up those frequencies to take off

Thanks
    forgot some 250 cuts so less boomy hopefully

Thanks
    I was more thinking the 'typewriter' sounding kick drum is the most obvious of the source of the mix not sitting right.

I do not know of anyone who likes the sound of a clock ticking to be a good thing.

Don't get me wrong. The mix sounds pretty good for the genre, but I feel you are approaching it in the wrong way. Cutting of frequencies via eq is fine if it is needed. But the reason you are fighting the mix may be from a more simple point of something else being a prominent issue.

And again, just a suggestion.

My thoughts: Guitar sounds piecing around 2k, while the bass guitar is not audible without my sub on. Bring up the bass guitar upper harmonics (eq) so you can hear more than just the low end. It will fill out the 'thickness' of the mix. Don't try to get all the frequencies from just the guitar alone.

And good lord, fix that kick drum...

Cheers man!
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmys69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Spot on re the bass guitar too. It could be contributing a lot more.
    FWIW -not always but sometimes when the roll of the bass in the mix ...or arrangement alludes me, thinking of its place as in two bands- 'sub and 'throat helps open up options.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mixsit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    I was more thinking the 'typewriter' sounding kick drum is the most obvious of the source of the mix not sitting right.

I do not know of anyone who likes the sound of a clock ticking to be a good thing.

Don't get me wrong. The mix sounds pretty good for the genre, but I feel you are approaching it in the wrong way. Cutting of frequencies via eq is fine if it is needed. But the reason you are fighting the mix may be from a more simple point of something else being a prominent issue.

And again, just a suggestion.

My thoughts: Guitar sounds piecing around 2k, while the bass guitar is not audible without my sub on. Bring up the bass guitar upper harmonics (eq) so you can hear more than just the low end. It will fill out the 'thickness' of the mix. Don't try to get all the frequencies from just the guitar alone.

And good lord, fix that kick drum...

Cheers man!

Thanks man but its is strange Ive sent this to some other people and they are actually complimenting the bass. No idea if this is a room thing or what, using KRK6. But bass has always been my weak point. Drums are just SD3. But thanks again

Thanks
    yeah strange listening on mine the bass guitar is loud so i got no idea

Thanks
    any difference i dropped down 2k on guitar raised bass a bit around that area pulled down some high drums. Is gonna click thats the preset cheeers man lol

does this sound like too much bass
    Last edited by ehgore1978; 08-29-2019 at 03:28.

Thanks
    Cool man! Sounding much better. It is a bit bass guitar ringy around guessing 160 hz. My recording software PC is not internet connected so cant pull up eq.

If I could download the track I could be more specific for you.

BTW, I have acoustically treated room/s and good monitors. Done this for quite while so I am not talking out my ass. Which brings me to the dingleberry thing. LOL! What a great title!

You can PM me for an email address if you would like to share the mix so I can download it for better advice.

Dig the groove of the tune man!

Jimmy
    Last edited by jimmys69; 08-29-2019 at 13:34.

Thread Information