Mixing tips on these songs?

Rockin song. Lots of energy!

A couple quick observations. The drummer plays a lot of fills. And the snare tends to drown out a lot of what's happening. This really isn't a mix issue, but you might want to think about that.

Sounds like the guitars were recording with reverb on the amps. I would consider backing off significantly, as you're losing a lot of clarity, and punch and I think it's the verb. If possible I would track the guitars again completely dry, and add the verb in the mixing process. Then you have almost total control over their sound.

I personally wouldn't really dare to comment on much else without hearing those changes first.

Those are just my opinions too of course. I loved the song and dug how much you guys were getting into it!

"Lost My Way" Really raw..at first I didn't really like it too much, but the longer I listen the more it's growing on me. I really love that little section after the chorus...the part you made real thin in the middle...that is really cool! Tell your drummer to lay off the speed!!! ;) Hey...I really like this tune!

"Jasmine" Nice progression on the intro. Very cool! Everything sounds a bit hot to me...but I'm an old man so what do I know? Sometimes the drummer seems a bit too busy. Really good tune.

"To The Sky" I really like where you guys are coming from. Really aggresive, but with cool changes. The busy drums really work well in this tune. Good stuff!

Thanks a lot for you replys people, I really appreciate it! Luckily I recorded the guitars through a DI and used Amplitube on it, so it will be easy to change the sounds there and see what happens! All the drums are on their own tracks, so I will see if I can back off the snare a little and give the other drums some room. The problem I have is after a while I can't see the wood from the trees and it all sounds like one big mush of noise, so your tips are really helpful. Thanks very much Sydfan for your reviews of our stuff as well, and I definately agree about our drummer being too busy, but what can you do, drummers like to show off!!

Thanks very much

Jon

As much as I am not a fan of this style of music I think you have a real good sound going on. Some good energy and songwriting.

I think it would sound better if the drummer played a little more of a driving rhythm groove instead of all the fills. I'm listening at a lower volume because the wife is still asleep. The snare fills are pretty abundant. I don't know though, maybe that's the way it should sound?

I definitely agree about our drummer being too busy, but what can you do, drummers like to show off!!

What can you do? Tell him it's a team sport. Sometimes you have to just block.

Joe

Thanks fort that Smokepole. Maybe we should come up with some sort of machine that gives drummers an electric shock everytime they over do it!!

Cheers

Jon

Asphixiate-Decent song even though it sounds like every other band I've been playing out with.Every week there is a different opening band and they all sound like this.This is a little better.Sound like you clipped the red in some spots here and there.Big sound tho.Fade out is terrible.All in all not bad,but not enough to grab me.Sound like you guys have fun and that's what count.Reminds me of the Foo-Fighters.3rd listen now...yea not bad.Definately Foo influence here.Good performance.Vox a little shakey in some spots,but fits in with the style.Good efforts,marginal recording(Drums are a bit buried in the mix.)4th listen.Mix lacks high end EQ.Again not a bad song.Energetic and full of feeling!Worth a 2nd page ressurection.

Thanks for the tips there W.I.S.C. Asphyxiate was recorded in a different session, so we are going to re-record it - you can't polish a turd after all!! We had to put a fade out as our drummer cocked up the ending. Damn that drummer!!

Cheers

Jon

Back