Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixing / Mastering / Drum job for another group's song.

Thanks

Wink Mixing / Mastering / Drum job for another group's song.

Sign in to disable this ad
    For the past year, I've been tracking, mixing, and mastering stuff all recorded within the confines of my studio. To begin this year, I had the opportunity to get tracks recorded elsewhere, put a drum track down, and then mix and master the whole thing.

The song is called "The Tie that Binds" and was tracked by our own Dastrick.

I'm interested in mix / master / drum comments (or any other comment ya have).

Thanks for listening.

*disclaimer* This song is openly Christian-related.

New Mixes based on critiques:

Mix 4 (Vocals EQ / Level tweaked, bass levels reduced, drum reverb reduced, harshness in beginning mitigated, ending fade tweaked, master levels slightly increased and bass compressor tweaked)

Mix 4 No Spatializer

Mix 4 No Spatializer, nor chorus
    Last edited by PoeticIntensity; 01-10-2011 at 21:54. Reason: added mixes.
    --PoeticIntensity
    ArtCitySound.com

Thanks
    very cool song, but i think there is something wrong with the phase. did you use some kind of "stereo-widening" tools?
    try to crosscheck with headphones.

Thanks
    Nice song from Dastrick, Jason.
    I do notice a sort of phaseyness in the sound like Jan said and I'm listening on phones.
    I felt the acoustics could cut thru a bit better. At the start of the first verse there's a very strong "p" in one of the words. Drums are superbly played, but the cymbals sound kind of muffled and I don't hear any hihat. Overall I felt the track lacks a bit of that white noise to give it colour. Just my 2c.....
    current CD "Angels Fall" available for download at:
    http://joeym.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Also on headphones and sounds good. I'm worried the bottom end sounds a bit too big and might not hold on some systems. Experiment with panning the guitars around a bit more. It has a very stereo sound, but most of it still seems to come down the middle.

Thanks
    The kick drums need more snap and the guitars need way more distortion. The singer is ok but he should growl more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karumba View Post
    very cool song, but i think there is something wrong with the phase. did you use some kind of "stereo-widening" tools?
    try to crosscheck with headphones.
    I'm simultaneously impressed and baffled by your comment. Yes, I'm using what is called a "Matrix Spatializer" on one of the guitars, but that's it. When I read your comment, I loaded up the project and A/B'ed the whole song multiple times with and without the spatializer effect. For as hard as I tried, I couldn't detect any "phasing" with that filter on. The only thing I heard was a widening of the stereo field. When I get home tonight, I'm going to export the project with the guitar set to mono, and upload that. To me, that way, it just sounds a bit less stereo, but there's a good chance I'm missing something. I also listened many times through headphones after mixing and didn't notice anything.

Thank you for your comment - it seems quite valid, as you guessed exactly what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by joeym View Post
    Nice song from Dastrick, Jason.
    I do notice a sort of phaseyness in the sound like Jan said and I'm listening on phones.
    I felt the acoustics could cut thru a bit better. At the start of the first verse there's a very strong "p" in one of the words. Drums are superbly played, but the cymbals sound kind of muffled and I don't hear any hihat. Overall I felt the track lacks a bit of that white noise to give it colour. Just my 2c.....
    Thanks for commenting, Joey. Yup... Good call on that "p". I'll see if I can't get that under control a bit more. As far as the cymbals and hi-hat... I've listened through everything from crappy desktop speakers, to monitors, and the cymbals / hats come through just fine. Not quite sure what to make of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobe View Post
    Also on headphones and sounds good. I'm worried the bottom end sounds a bit too big and might not hold on some systems. Experiment with panning the guitars around a bit more. It has a very stereo sound, but most of it still seems to come down the middle.
    Thanks for commenting, Tobe! Hmm... I know what you're saying about the bottom end. It's the verb put on the kick drum. Makes it sound huge. It mixes nicely when the song is going full-force, but it sounds a bit big when it's just backing the acoustic guitar. As far as panning goes, this sucker is panned as far as it can go. Acoustic is panned hard R/L, distorted guitars are about 90% R/L (and even widened digitally a bit more) Drums are panned about 80% (O/H are hard R/L).

Quote Originally Posted by Murdersgalore View Post
    The kick drums need more snap and the guitars need way more distortion. The singer is ok but he should growl more.
    Thanks for listening, and your comments.
    --PoeticIntensity
    ArtCitySound.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticIntensity View Post
    I'm simultaneously impressed and baffled by your comment. Yes, I'm using what is called a "Matrix Spatializer" on one of the guitars, but that's it. When I read your comment, I loaded up the project and A/B'ed the whole song multiple times with and without the spatializer effect. For as hard as I tried, I couldn't detect any "phasing" with that filter on. The only thing I heard was a widening of the stereo field. When I get home tonight, I'm going to export the project with the guitar set to mono, and upload that. To me, that way, it just sounds a bit less stereo, but there's a good chance I'm missing something. I also listened many times through headphones after mixing and didn't notice anything.

Thank you for your comment - it seems quite valid, as you guessed exactly what I was doing.
    yes, spatializers could do such a things. as a rule of thumb, you should never use such tools on mono-signals, they just mess with the phase. use a slight chorus instead just to give it that kiss of 3D. i like the roland dimension D from the UAD card very much for that job.

i'll hear your track again when you uploaded the "unspatialized" version :-)

Thanks
    Hey Jason,

I'm hearing a little too much bass or something. The plosive in the first verse on the "p" of the word "keep" almost seemed inevitable by the time I heard it because it seems that entire range of the spectrum is hyped. I also agree on first listen with Tobe's comment about the panning - I think you've got the middle and the ends covered, but my ears want to hear more mono sounds out in the middle of the L-R fields, maybe at around + or - 30? It's a good performance and song to work with, so I'm looking forward to hearing where you end up with it.

Best,

Dave
    SoundClick artist: Dave DeWhitt - page with MP3 music downloads

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by karumba View Post
    yes, spatializers could do such a things. as a rule of thumb, you should never use such tools on mono-signals, they just mess with the phase. use a slight chorus instead just to give it that kiss of 3D. i like the roland dimension D from the UAD card very much for that job.

i'll hear your track again when you uploaded the "unspatialized" version :-)
    Awesome. I actually already have it being put through a chorus. What I did, was put the mono-signal through a chorus, then put the stereo outs of the chorus through the spatializer, to widen the chorus even more. I'll upload 2 tracks tonight for your discerning ear: 1. No chorus, no spatializer. 2. Chorus only.

Thank you for taking time on this. Also - is your name "Jan"? Were you the one who mastered Gerry and Joey's tracks? If so, you do very impressive work.
    --PoeticIntensity
    ArtCitySound.com

Thanks
    wow my limited experience couldn't offer any advice on the mix like some of the above, even if I could hear it lol

Sounded good to me Jason...pretty clear and separated, nice levels and performance...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimistone View Post
    you scare me.
    Album My Soundcloud page

Thread Information