Mixing help on an original song

BoneDigger

I am pretty much a newbie at this, but I could use some help with recommendations on a song I recorded and mixed. This is an original song that I wrote with a friend of mine in Ireland. All of the instrumentation in me, as is the bad singing. My goal in all of this is simply to get better at playing, singing, and mixing/mastering my stuff. Over the last couple of years I have learned a lot, but I have a LONG way to go. So, any recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first time posting a song here, and I'm a bit scared of how it's going to be, but I think it's necessary for me to grow. So, any ideas you have, feel free to send them along.

I Can Only Dream About Her by Todd McMakin

I'd spread the 2 guitars wider. Let that first (lead) guitar keep playing along on rhythm with a different voicing on the chords perhaps.

I'd probably want a little more bass in there.

Vocal needs some careful editing to clean it up, removing clicks and the like. I'd like to hear it dialed back just a little once you've got a little more space in the middle opened up, and probably some automation or clip gain to even it out in a couple spots. (It wasn't clear to me that the volume increases I heard in a couple spots were intentional since there was no accompanying musical build, so it sounded uneven to me.) The pitch stuff bothered me at first but seemed to get better or maybe I got used to it. Might need touching up, but if this is a learning exercise it's pretty good, so maybe worry about that on the next one.

Thanks for the feedback. So, do you mean panning when you say spread them wider? I think I'm going to redo the vocals and try to clean them up a bit. I did notice the volume differences and would like to not only fix that but also get the vocals a bit smoother. I had the bass more prominent at one point and then brought it down a bit in this version. So, you think it needs to be brought back up a bit?

Thanks for the feedback. So, do you mean panning when you say spread them wider? I think I'm going to redo the vocals and try to clean them up a bit. I did notice the volume differences and would like to not only fix that but also get the vocals a bit smoother. I had the bass more prominent at one point and then brought it down a bit in this version. So, you think it needs to be brought back up a bit?
Yes, I meant panning. (Thought I'd responded but realize it was another post!)

The low end sounds weak in general. How are you monitoring?

Thanks! Yes, panning I can do! I am monitoring with a set of Yamaha HS8 monitors and a set of Audio Technica headphones. I'll bring the bass out a bit too. Probably going to rerecord the vocals and add in some backing guitar riffs throughout, especially leading into the chorus.

Treated room? If not, that could be exaggerating your sense of bass in the mix. Headphones can do that frequently, too.

Yes, room is treated, though the mixing station isn't in the best location (too close to walls), but it's the best I can do. I agree that headphones are probably accentuating the bass. Aside from bringing the bass guitar part up, what else can I do about the bottom end? Is that an EQ thing or do I need to record more parts?

Back