Mixing heavy solo with heavy rhythm guitar. Help wanted

MysticNetherlan

Hi all,

I'm having problems with mixing metal solos with metal rhythm parts. How do you guys normally approach this? I take out a little bit of the high end of the rhythm bus when the solo kicks in, and also drop the volume a little bit, but is sounds contrived, not natural. Someone advised to use a sidechain ducking EQ? Is that how it's done?

It's about the second solo btw:

I usually just automate the rhythm guitars to drop down a few DB. Unless the solo is really snaking itself in the rhythm parts, it should probably stand out.

Have a friend listen. You might just notice it as contrived because you're attached to the project and you know exactly when it's going to happen.

I usually just automate the rhythm guitars to drop down a few DB. Unless the solo is really snaking itself in the rhythm parts, it should probably stand out.

Have a friend listen. You might just notice it as contrived because you're attached to the project and you know exactly when it's going to happen.

The latter is definitely true. But that's why I also ask my digital friends, being you ;) Did you take a listen to the nd solo, does it sound like the rhythm guitar continues without too much disruption EQ-wise?

I recently had the same problem and did a lot of reading and tired all the different shit people were saying. So, I ended up doing a few simple things to make it sit in just right. It might seem a bit extreme to some people, but the solo can be clearly heard without any major or noticeable changes to the sound of the song.

You might need to make new tracks to drag the rhythm guitars into. Only the sections of guitars that the guitar solo plays over. Then you EQ just those tracks with the lead rhythms so it doesn't effect the whole song.

On my lead rhythms I did a low frequency roll off, Mid frequency, high mid frequency cut, and a high frequency roll off as well. Like in this pic, but I also turned the tracks up 1db. This way there isn't a noticeable drop in volume.
10672174_917551534941103_7398807652432900892_n.jpg

On the lead guitar tracks I did a somewhat extreme EQ on it. A lot of bass roll off, boosted the frequency sections that I lowered on the rhythm tracks and also did a high frequency roll off. As seen in this pic.
10665376_917553101607613_5812049840211685592_n.jpg

I also sent the lead guitar track to a buss channel with a nice delay effect on it. Then just play with the volume until it sits into the song real nice and can be heard clearly. I doubt everyone would agree with this, but you just have to experiment until you think it sounds good.

Thanks man! Yeah, this is more or less what I do already, albeit using EQ automation rather than a separate track. I use different opposite fequencies though. But the principle is the same, boost a certain mid and a certain high band, and cut the same in the rhythm track. I'll check out your frequencies though, thanks!

Thanks man! Yeah, this is more or less what I do already, albeit using EQ automation rather than a separate track. I use different opposite fequencies though. But the principle is the same, boost a certain mid and a certain high band, and cut the same in the rhythm track. I'll check out your frequencies though, thanks!

It's just an example, it probably doesn't sound good for other people's stuff. I need to work more on this mysterious automation. I always find it easier to just make new tracks and keep it all separated.

I like FoulPhil's idea - sounds logical and works with eq which is how I differentiate tracks anyway.
I've heard/seen examples of ducking on the rhythm to allow vocals to come through but in theory it should work on leads too.

Back