Mixing feedback needed...

Hey

. I love these Christian songs can i master it with your permission.

actually last Christian song i did didn't turn out so well, I’ll take a rain check sounds nice dude.

Very nice tone i can't comment as I’m on the Cans...

but it just sounds like you have a bit of mud there thrown on the mix I’m not sure as I’d have to listen on my mud detecting audio piece but it sounds like mud ... it's different from clay... clay is ok.

but it sounds like mud. not the song just a touch around you the paces mud sits possible 60 possible 256 possible 455.

your 80 is nice a little too nice actually make a youngie think you had some sort of intervention?? No?

ok then.

re: tbb

no intervention just yet. This one is my mix. I have sent the tracks off to a studio here in KC to get mixed. I wanted to see how close I am to the 'pro's'...;)

re: muddy - i'm not very good in the EQ department. I tried to cut around 400, but maybe not enough.

uh, what is a 'youngie'

thanks for listening.

cholo

Well seeing as how my home comp is not setup for high speed net (I'm trying my best not to go on a raging rant about why I can't get it at this location) I'll have to wait till I get a call for a session at a friend of mine's studio (I expect a call before the end of the week). At the moment that would be the most convenient location to check out your tune.

I can't even get my own frickin link to play on this machine. I really despise dialup...

I hate to do it, but I agree with the blackbay. There's some low-end mud in the bass. I'm not an EQ expert, but it seems to be around 200-400. The rest of the mix sounds very good. Vocals and harmonies sound great. Good job. :)

ok...quick question. Is this area, between 200 and 450 the "mud zone" or whatever you want to call it, is this normally where most of you jump right in and start cutting back - automatically?

and, if yes:

do you cut back across the board, or only on the lower ended instrument's channels/tracks, kick/bass/tuba/what?

cholo

ok...quick question. Is this area, between 200 and 450 the "mud zone" or whatever you want to call it, is this normally where most of you jump right in and start cutting back - automatically?

and, if yes:

do you cut back across the board, or only on the lower ended instrument's channels/tracks, kick/bass/tuba/what?

cholo

Well, for me, if there is any mud, it depends on where it's coming from. I'm no expert, but I usually try to fix it individually instead of applying an EQ cut across the whole mix. I'd go into the project, play it, select the bass track, and look at how your bass is EQ'd. Setup a moderately narrow Q setting and start pulling down in that general 200-400 area - while the whole mix is playing - until the bass tightens up. Pay close attention to the kick/bass relationship. They should both support the bottom end without mushing together. Just my 2 cents.

Great songwriting, arrangement and performance. Really reminds me of "The Band" in spots. Let us know how the pro mix goes - be interesting to compare the two.
Good job....:)

Well, for me, if there is any mud, it depends on where it's coming from. I'm no expert, but I usually try to fix it individually instead of applying an EQ cut across the whole mix. I'd go into the project, play it, select the bass track, and look at how your bass is EQ'd. Setup a moderately narrow Q setting and start pulling down in that general 200-400 area - while the whole mix is playing - until the bass tightens up. Pay close attention to the kick/bass relationship. They should both support the bottom end without mushing together. Just my 2 cents.

good idea. i'll cut/paste/keep this in my shortcut file.

ido1957 said: Great songwriting, arrangement and performance. Really reminds me of "The Band" in spots. Let us know how the pro mix goes - be interesting to compare the two.
Good job....

Thank you sir. I should be getting the pro-mix tonight or tomorrow. I'll upload it for comparison.

cholo

Well I got a call from the studio and it looks like I'll be goin in next week (probably monday). Unless u've got this tune on soundclick (which is the only damn thing that works on this connection) I won't be able to check it out till then.

As for the "mud zone", generally speaking, yes that is pretty accurate, but I wouldn't tell u to just jump in and start cutting everything that falls into that area. I know you hear this over and over and over and over and over again, but the only way to get it right is trust your ears. You should pay close attention to that zone and, as Greg said, even closer attention to the bass/kick relationship. In MY genre, the bass/kick should usually take up enough room in the bottom end that most other instruments need to be cut there (but that's not always the case)...

Back