Mixing Clinic Reviewer Guidelines

Due to some recent incidents, I thought it might be appropriate to specify what is expected by people who use this forum. It's really just common sense.

Positive feedback is of course always welcome by someone posting a mix. However, being positive just because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings, or you want them to be positive about your work, may not help them, or you! This is completely your choice though!

Criticism is welcome. Telling a person that something about his mix seems wrong, that his vocals don't sound convincing, that his guitar playing could be improved, that something about the lyrics detracts from the impact of the song, or that something about the song production is lacking - these kinds of things are all fair game. We would never learn anything if everybody was afraid to post something negative!

Intentionally rude, degrading criticism is not welcome. Saying that a person should just give up on music because his posting is so bad, is not beneficial. Saying that a person's lyrics are "retarded" is not helpful (remember that the lyrics may mean a lot to the person). Telling someone to "get a real singer" doesn't help them sing better.

This is not "American Idol." People don't necessarily come here with stars in their eyes, they just want to exchange music and engineering ideas with other homerec'ers. While some people are perfectly capable of dealing with mean comments, others may not take it as well and you could damage their willingness to participate, thus their ability to grow as an artist and engineer.

"I'm just being honest" is an excuse often used by a person giving negative criticism, while at the same time being a dick. If that person can't pull the latter out of the former, then they should probably just zip it.

Thanks, and have a good time! If this BBS has a heart, this is it!

Slackmaster 2000

Wow...you know, if you'd been doing this long, Slack, you'd have enough sense to know that you should've closed this thread before somebody jumps in and calls you a Nazi for posting that Nazi-Like message.

(kidding, kidding...I'm ONLY kidding).

This will be the hugest clinic thread ever.

oh boy! this should be fun to watch!

personally, i found super critic's critique of my last song quite helpful. he/she was neither rude nor dishonest and was spot on with the feedback she/he provided.

imo, there's too much positive feedback in this place anyway.

i agree that there's a line between being 'constructive' and being 'rude' though. it's not a fine line either. it's a really big thick line. however, oddly enough, a lot of people i know that provide what i consider valuable feedback are usually way over the line into rude when they provide it. just gotta learn to separate that part and take the useful intent of the feedback to heart.

i would however take sc's critisism a little more seriously if i knew his/her experience and had examples of his/her work :).

Yeah, like I said, some people can take it, others can't.

The comment that really got sc removed from the site was the one about giving up on all musical aspirations. That's pretty helpful advice :)

yeah, that's definitely over the line into rude and not very helpful at the same time unless the person was asking whether they should persue a career in musical performance.

hey slack, didn't your car have a gay christian abortion in iraq recently?

erichenryus said:

imo, there's too much positive feedback in this place anyway.
You are an ass worshipping weenie gobbler.

:eek:

Note: All material used above copyright protected by "S8-N"

All I have to say is....

...if people aren't prepared to have their work critiqued seriously, then maybe they shouldn't be posting it!??!

I don't think the clinic needs any "special" guidelines -- if people are intentionally flaming without contrbuting, it should be treated just like any other forum... if it gets out of hand, start moderating!

But I don't think putting-up critiquing rules (and Slack, I realize that's not what you're doing here, but that would be the next step!) would make the slightest difference.

People who give serious critiques to provide honest feedback will provide their comments in the manner they see fit. I know I would/do.... If a guitar sound or mix sucks, I say exactly that... if the drummer couldn't hit the side of a barn with a kick pedal, I'd say that too...

OTOH, if the mix is well-balanced and clear - or the performance is stellar - I'd comment quite positively. Much of the time however, this is not the case!

One thing I tend NOT to do is comment on the artistic merit of an original song - I only remark on track sonics or performance issues (if any).

You've also gotta be careful that you don't confuse your personal musical taste with the talent of the person you're critiquing.

Some of SC's critiques I found to be pretty accurate (although rather harsh)... but sometimes, he would just rip someone's tune based purely on the fact that it didn't suit his taste..... well who cares! There are a million different musical tastes on the planet, and since there's no one single "right" taste, you can never tell someone that their song is "worthless" simply because you didn't like it. Feel free to express that it didn't suit your taste... but don't judge the entire song as "useless to all humanity" just because you didn't like it. For all you know, there may be 50 people that come along after you, who listen to the song and like it just fine.

I will agree aboot the excess of "gushy" critiques. Sometimes I'll hear something that sounds pretty bad, both recording-wise and music-wise, and yet I'll see fifty people coming back with, "This is great, man." I just can't imagine that it's all that helpful to the artist to hear nothing but positive replies, while they're still putting out extremely amateur material. Hell,... I'm my biggest critic around here.... not to mention that I still haven't been able to convince anyone that I can't sing. :D

WATYF

Slackmaster2K said:
Due to some recent incidents, I thought it might be appropriate to specify what is expected by people who use this forum. It's really just common sense.

Positive feedback is of course always welcome by someone posting a mix. However, being positive just because you don't want to hurt someone's feelings, or you want them to be positive about your work, may not help them, or you! This is completely your choice though!

Criticism is welcome. Telling a person that something about his mix seems wrong, that his vocals don't sound convincing, that his guitar playing could be improved, that something about the lyrics detracts from the impact of the song, or that something about the song production is lacking - these kinds of things are all fair game. We would never learn anything if everybody was afraid to post something negative!

Intentionally rude, degrading criticism is not welcome. Saying that a person should just give up on music because his posting is so bad, is not beneficial. Saying that a person's lyrics are "retarded" is not helpful (remember that the lyrics may mean a lot to the person). Telling someone to "get a real singer" doesn't help them sing better.

This is not "American Idol." People don't necessarily come here with stars in their eyes, they just want to exchange music and engineering ideas with other homerec'ers. While some people are perfectly capable of dealing with mean comments, others may not take it as well and you could damage their willingness to participate, thus their ability to grow as an artist and engineer.

"I'm just being honest" is an excuse often used by a person giving negative criticism, while at the same time being a dick. If that person can't pull the latter out of the former, then they should probably just zip it.

Thanks, and have a good time! If this BBS has a heart, this is it!

Slackmaster 2000

well, o.k., you banned me. some of my prior comments could have been interpreted as a little extreme. i acknowledge that. but banning someone because of their tone is a bit extreme.

Re: Re: Mixing Clinic Reviewer Guidelines

a_super_critic said:
well, o.k., you banned me. some of my prior comments could have been interpreted as a little extreme. i acknowledge that. but banning someone because of their tone is a bit extreme.
You are a cumfunnel

BTW - You're right...I shouldn't have posted that in the clinic. Truth aside, I was thinking of this thread in "Cave-like" terms.

Apologies to all...

(except the cumfunnel)

Re: Re: Mixing Clinic Reviewer Guidelines

a_super_critic said:
some of my prior comments could have been interpreted as a little extreme. i acknowledge that. but banning someone because of their tone is a bit extreme.

Yeah, like your helpful answer to the guy who asked how he should mix his song. Your reply was to move all the faders levels down to 0 so it couldn't be heard. It has nothing to do with your tone and everything to do with your intent, and your intent was to ridicule. Those kind of answers are easy--any anti social personality can whip them off by the dozens. You leave me feeling that you aren't happy unless you are making someone else miserable. I just don't get your purpose at all.

Back