Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mixed this song for a friend...need help

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line
    Thanks

Mixed this song for a friend...need help

Sign in to disable this ad
    i'm doing a mixdown of a song my friend recorded of the band at his church. it's a live recording, with 8 tracks and i think he recorded it thru an Alesis firewire thing. it's a Christian song, and really not my type of music AT ALL, but i'll mix anything someone gives me, haha.

anyway, i need some opinions from the golden ears out there, and give it to me straight. what needs to be fixed, what sounds OK, what would you do differently? i'm not used to doing the softer stuff, so i need some serious help on this one...plus i think it needs to be ready by friday night. thanks for checking it out!

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=7629

i think the recording itself is pretty decent for a 1-take live setup. theres a couple parts where the vocal clips, but other than that i guess it's not half bad.
    Maybe you can interface with my ass, by biting it.
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

Thanks
    is it that bad? just don't listen to the lyrics then, i just want to know if the mix is OK. is it too boomy in the lows?
    "It's hopeless. I can hear all this great music in my head, but my stupid hands can't keep up..."

Thanks
    It's boomy, and all I can hear clearly is the Toms.........
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NL5
    It's boomy, and all I can hear clearly is the Toms.........

geee thanks...

so what do i do?

please help, i suck.

i have 8 tracks...one kick, one snare (open snare), one mono overhead, one rhythm guitar, one lead guitar, vocal, keyboard and bass.

is it just the bass guitar that is boomy? i put a HPF on the guitars and vocals, because before i got it it was even boomier...

Thanks
    nevermind, i'm just frustrated and acting stupid. having another stupid shitty day at work.

i'll fix it when i get home, i'll figure it out.

Thanks
    Take it easy on your self

Vocals sound pretty good.

I'd start buy backing of the verb some on the drums. You might try setting a low roll off insanely hi on the toms. I have had very good success with that in the past. Try putting it around 125hz or so and then boosting a few db's at around 850hz and 4500hz with a medium Q say 5 or so. you'll have to bring the gain down on them. I only say back the verb off because it may be lending to the boominess. I don't mind the size of the verb so much and you may find it's just fine when the toms get a bit thinner.

Anyways, aren't drums fun I think you'll have a easier time with the mix once the drums sit better.

All this is of course imho.

Good luck!

F.S.
    Where is Darwin when you need him?

Thanks
    thanks for the idears FS. there's a ton of bleed from the toms on the kick track, as well as on the snare. i HPF'd the snare really high, and the overhead moderately high. i might do some cuts on the kick track as well. then maybe try taking off some of the really low freqs on the bass track. i don't think the verd is really adding to the boom, because i cut off the low frequencies from the reverb...i think? gotta check that. i kinda like that reverb though, it has an 80's tom sound to it haha.

maybe getting rid of the boom will make the vox cut through a little better without having to add volume....
    i'm afraid the band might probably want more reverb on the vocals...which i will refuse to do. i'll just tell them i did for placebo effect...

i hate having to be at work when i have something fun i'd rather be doing.

Thanks
    I was wondering if you had filtered the verb.
    I have had to go through entire songs and edit out toms from the kick and snare tracks. It's soooo much fun but it works. I have even replaced hits with toms behind them with clean hits I makes my keybord and mouse fingers ache just thinking about it.

I agree on the vox. You'll just have to see when you get there.

Later

F.S.
    Where is Darwin when you need him?

Thanks
    i tried sampling the kick track, but there's just too much bleed, and too many subtle kick hits, really hard to dissect this one. but i'm not too concerned about the drum bleed on this one, since it's live anyway. i can always use "hey this was recorded right of the stage OK" as an excuse.

Thanks
    I think its fine. I just reduced the bass on my speakers and its fine. Do you use any typle of mastering plugin on the final mix?

Thread Information