Mixed to death

What tuning are you using? It sounds like a drop D with the whole guitar down a half step. I had to listen to the low-fi because the high-fi was fluctuating terribly. You already know I'm a Christian, so I won't go into the whole lyric thing... ;)..but it's really heavy! Good songwriting and a real nice guitar tone. Great playing as well! I thought the drums sounded a bit thin, but I was listening to low fi, so it's really not fair.

HAHAHAH wow that IS weird?!!...
i will say that your song has about 14 maybe 15 thousand more elements to it.....jeeeeezz...COOL GUITAR CHUGGING!!!...i really like that intro acoustic part too..drums need highs or something...the "thump factor" is fucking great tho...
yeah i had a solo ALOT like this one.....but i took it out.....lmao..ahahahaha...:D....."SPREAD THE GOOD WORD"...very cool...what tuning on the git is this???....i mean is it flat out called "unholy"..???...:)..these drums material wise are great did i mention that?..i like the chaos in the end.....ive heard that somewhere before ....where was that.........are you me?....

killer song man...
any thing other than what i said is shit i cant even hear or help with....

jamal

ok.. let me just say... this tune kicks ass....
i listened to it like 6 times so far.. heheh..

musically very alice and chains..
vocally a bit black crows..

overall the mix sounds a bit low-middy. but not horribly so.

what kind of guitar and amp (and effect if any) did you use to get that great metal ch-chun ch-chun ch-chun thing you got going?
prs and mesa-boogie perhaps? sounds warm and thick like a boogie.

the sitar tone was a good effect too..

you got more of this stuff?
-alex

Sydfan:

You nailed the tuning! Good ear. The half-step flat thing is strickly so I can hit the high notes. I have pitch but no range!:eek: Thanks for the listen.

Jamal:

Cue Twight Zone theme

See you in hell, bro! LOL!:D

Seriously, the drum sound is a beat-up Pearl export kit(22,18,13, bell-brass snare) in a 19x11x9 room, minimal treatment, two ECM's as overs and a 57 inside the kick, laying on the pillow about 2" from the batter head. Mixed to 2 track through a Behringer 802 and straight into the stock RCA's on my Mac. Some sidechain comp added from the mids down and gated on the mix.

The solo is me attempting to play the solo that my drummer (the writer) put on his original demo. I'm faster but he's trickier!:D

The stuff at the end is a bunch of sermons panned all over the place.

alexspetty

Thanks for the ego boost!:D

Low mid hot. Probably due to my room/monitor setup. Thanks for the tip.

L guitar is a JCM800 50watt/412 vintage cab, 57 up close on the edge.
R guitar is a Super Reverb, Shure omni dynamic up close mid-cone.
Middle/Lead guitar is a MKIII Simul in class A with 2 212 vintage 30 cabs, ECM8000 about 3' away, 4' up.

Sitar is a Technics keyboard.

Thanx guys!:)

Good sound nice driven feel, drums guit sitar has it all. some very artistic work on the guitar!! Great playin!!!! I could not make out the words much, but maybe its better that way.
I did not go through a life changing born again experience until I was 40 so I am wise enough to know better than to Thump Here!

Good luck
Peace
Bill

12-string and harmonics? Okay, you've won my heart.

The sounds are all good, although the whole mix could use just a touch, just a *bit* of brightening.

There's a big jump of level at 0.55. That great big throb sounds right later on in the song, but it's a tad jarring when it comes in. That, plus the fact that I think you could bring both the vocal and the 12-string up maybe 2 dB would be the first thing I would try if this mix was in my hands.

You got a good song here. I can understand why you've 'mixed it into the ground'. LOL Basically: bring the vocals up.

Good one. I love the way the song nails the beat in the chorus, hangs on the pause for a bit, and then goes all modal guitar. Really good.

real good tune.. nice guitar stuff.. really like the vocals!

WOW! that was a serious solo...

I wasn't crazy about the samples.. the first one seemed loud.. and the part that comes @3:17 goes on for awhile with not much happening.. more solos or melodic content over that would be cool.. I heard a couple of bad drum hits.. the sound is good, but when the heavy guitars start, it sounds like it could be thicker.. the guitars seem panned too wide with no guitar in the middle at all.. There's also a lack of crispness to the whole thing, but still a good recording.. I really like the vocal delivery.. This is a really good song.. The chunking guitar parts are cool, but it is a riff I'm hearing A LOT lately in music.. (like Disturbed etc)

great guitar playing and singing, good tune! Keep em coming.. I think this is the first tune you posted here, or did I miss one?

good tune!

wow, cool song. Reminds me of the tea party. Great guitar playing.

The full band sections are tonally too bass heavy I think, with not much competing for headroom with the drums. The tune sounds great, but doesn't quite have the punch and grind I would expect. Maybe too miuch short attack compression as well?
Kick seems buried most of the time.

Awesome tune, that accoustic intro is killer, I was totally surprised when it broke into a full band.

wfaraoni:

Thanks for the listen. Glad you liked my playin'. I'm really just a hack!:eek::D

Life is never-ending series of changes, ain't it!;)

dobro:

Those harmonics were a bitch to nail, especially on this cheapo Yammie 12!

My hearing is a bit rolled-off on top due to 30+ years of loud noise, so I seem to over-compensate sometimes. I think my poorly treated room doesn't help either. Need to do something about that....

That jump in level when the band kicks in is intentional.;) Maybe a bit overdone, eh? I try to make my mixes very dynamic so I have something to work with when mastering. This is the straight mix from ProTools, no 2 bus compression or EQ. Just the dither plug and conversion from 24 down to 16bit AIFF, then encoded with iTunes.

Thanks for the ears!:)

B.SABBATH:

Thanks for the compliments! Means a lot coming from you!:)

The samples in the Technics are pretty decent, but for some reason it didn't gel with the mix well. Maybe due to 2 extra stages of conversion (it was recorded direct through analog). Can't do much with it now.

The original demo my drummer did had a crazy solo during that outro low in the mix, and panned a bit to one side. Maybe I'll add that in, if i can pull it off. He's actually a pretty damn good guitarist too!

I've posted a couple tunes here before, but this is my first in my new digs, with me playing all the stringed instruments and singing lead.

Thanks again for the tips!:)

Doug H:

Seems to be a pattern developing here. Muddy mix!:eek:

Can't claim credit for the writing, only the guitars/vocals and recording (the weak parts):eek::D

Thanks for the listen.!:)

Nice intro. Fun sitar solo. Axes go: "Chugga-chugga-chug!" Nice. Personally, I would add heavier compression to the vox to set them in the style of mix better... I like the "You won't change..." sections. Nice break with the acoustic... Then back into the thump. Cool. Nice ending.

I've got a bit of the same probs with high freq hearing loss. Some people say you have to learn your monitors... We have to learn our ears!
;)

Hey man...you've been very cool about taking the time to listen to my lounge music in the past, and I have liked your previous posts a ton, so I mean this very sincerely.

PLEASE ENABLE DOWNLOADS???

I don't check stuff unless I can d/l it, b/c I tend to play stuff really really loud, and the dropouts from the stream are very hard on the ears and the monitors.

I'll risk it if you're standing on principle, but I'd rather not, lol. I promise I'll delete it after I d/l it...unless it totally kicks ass, in which case I'll delete it after I burn it to disc.

Lopp:

WHAT?

:D

Glad you dug it! I'll take that compression into consideration. I try to go easy on that stuff.;)

powderfinger:

Glad you liked it. I'm really not that happy with the way the 12 string came across tone-wise. Don't have a large diaphram condensor. That was tracked with one ECM8000 about 8" from the pickguard. The bridge was too boomy, the neck too clicky, and any farther away too roomy. Still experimenting....

chrisharris:

DL's are enabled for NoWhere members. I'll double check just to be sure.;)

If it was my tune I wouldn't care how many people got ahold of it. It's not like I have any chance to make it in this biz at 38 and a single dad.:eek: LOL!

Toki987:

Thanks for the tip on the vocals/EQ. That seems to be a common critique.;) Glad you liked it.

I promise to check in on one of your threads.:o So much good stuff in here it's tough to keep up even with DSL.:eek:

Okay, I still can't download it for some reason...maybe it's this new browswer...but I took a shot at streaming.

I was able to get about :30 seconds before it crapped out, and I have no idea what the problem is, but it sounded like the whole file was being pitch shifted in odd ways. At first, I thought it was an effect, but then...it just kept doing it, and nobody else seems to have mentioned it.

I'm gonna' make sure I'm listening to the right file, and I'll be back.

Better lay off the acid! :D

Seriously I just streamed it and it sounded fine (when it wasn't buffering).

I'm downloading it now. Hmmm. Sounds fine.:confused:

Does your player support VBR?

If you still have problems PM me and I'll send a copy in the mail, bro.

Back