This mix working?

Somnium7

Noise Criminal
Just finished a new track, you can check it out on the link for my website below. 37 tracks, mixed half analog and helf in the box. It's called Dissolve.

I went into your site, clicked Dissolve, clicked play, clicked every damn thing there was to click.

Nothing.

?

Its def. very trippy. I like it alot. I can't comment on the mix because I hardly know what is going on. But it is really cool how you composed the piece. Vocals sound cool with the 'on the verge of clipping sound'.

Good one,

-jD

I'm really digging the vibe. I love the lo-fi sound on the vox in the beginning. Gives me the feeling of it being sampled (which is an artistic thing I love!). Sure is one long tune but I think you switch things up often enough that it doesn't get boring for the listener. It's definitely by no means repetitive. Nice job!

Thank you guys for the feedback. On the vocals durnig the verses I used this really wacky plugin called Spaceman...

http://www.funkfish.de/~blankenburg/
Look under PRODUCTS/OTHER

Even though it's a pretty silly concept Spaceman works nicely for getting that old 78-record-on-a-Victrola sound. It also provided a few moments of fun in an otherwise gruelling mix session. :)

Here's a little more on what gear/software was used for recording and mixing.

Dual PIII PC with 1G RAM + 3 SCSI HDs
M-Audio 1010LT
Sound Forge 6 and Acid 6
Akai S6000
Toa RX-7 32 channel
Sony DPS-V55 FX Processor
AKG D890 mic
Presonus TubePre

When I hit 37 tracks my PC could no longer handle playback from Acid for the entire length of the song. Two minutes in and the audio would start getting clicky and on Windows performance monitor the CPUs were maxed out. I then rendered down half the tracks and sent them to the Akai. In Acid those rendered tracks were deleted from the project and replaced with Midi tracks to trigger the samples in the Akai. The remaining Acid tracks were assigned to 4 stereo subgroups and sent to the Toa. The tracks in the Akai were assigned to several of it's outputs and routed into the Toa. For the final mix all the recorded tracks and the unrecorded Midi tracks for the synthesizers were sampled with the Akai.
Even though I have a decent sound card now I still make all my recordings and most masters with the Akai. It isn't just habit, I really like that old Akai sound.

Back