Mix and sound thoughts

jontflesh

Well I got a Tascam TM-D1000 and did my first project with it.
you can dl the song at:
Horror
I am no singer or lyricist so I usually end up sampling soundbytes from movies to stick into the song so Evil Dead2 and Hellraiser were used.

How is my overall sound on this?
I am thinking of re writing or just killing the 12 string guitar on it what do you think?

What is the suckieness value of this song? ;)
It is 4.6 megs so anyone who replys I would be very appreciated on your thoughts.

jontflesh

http://jontflesh.gixxer.com

Pretty cool

I personally liked the sampling, I thought it
worked with the song. The beginning is pretty strong. The overall sound and mix was also good,
inasmuch as I can judge with my not too hifi setup
here. How did you do the drums? Some of the synth patches i wasn't that wild about: that kind of
boingy one in the 2nd half of the song didn't fit
as well, or maybe the melody just needed a little
more variation or not to go on so long.
The voicey sounding patches are ok, a little
overused in music in general, but they fit here.A cool thing would be to have some of the synths swell
in volume a little more, to create drama.

I didn't really notice the 12-string, it wasn't
at all obvious in the mix. i liked the cutoff ending, was that on purpose, anyway it worked
with the song.

Dig it very much! I like the bridge in the middle at around 2:00 I hear some filter tweaking at that point. And some stronger pads too. The mixing is perfect on my headphones. The only thing I noticed and its a soundbyte thing is that some bytes are a little too noisy. The ending is cool though despite the noisy byte samples.

Where can you get samples from movies?

The guitars sound great! Love the groove and the mood it brings.

Keep up the good work.

John

Wow thanks guys :)

It is long for sure. I am hoping one of my buddies will do some spoken word or something over it to aleviate the feeling of it being so long.

The drums is a mix of a few things. I took a few samples and looped them then also added more via my Korg N364. I use the Korg for all the key parts.
Actually the cutt off ending was planned for once lol.

Also I hook my Sampler up to my DVD player and sample the sound bytes through that. Sometimes I will change the tempo of those type of samples so I can loop them in a rythmic style. This time I didn't though. One of those is really noisy for sure. I tried to filter out some of the high freq. but it really didn't help.
Like I said I really tend to do that alot since I can't sing.

Thanks alot for the replys :D

jontflesh

First of all, Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Do you have the DVD? It's got "the making of" which is just great.

This is definately fun. I'm not sure if there's a good reason to listen to it repeatedly, but I did enjoy it quite a bit! The music itself is actually really cool.

Slackmaster 2000

Slackmaster2K said:
First of all, Evil Dead 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Do you have the DVD? It's got "the making of" which is just great.

This is definately fun. I'm not sure if there's a good reason to listen to it repeatedly, but I did enjoy it quite a bit! The music itself is actually really cool.

Slackmaster 2000
Sam Rami rules period :D
I have all three Evil Dead Chronicles on DVD. Be sure to get the Evil Dead Collecters edition on DVD. It has the best commentary ever with Bruce Campbell.

Thanks alot most of my tunes are really not made too serious so if it makes someone laugh that is all I ask.

jontflesh

http://jontflesh.gixxer.com

Back