Mix? Song? Whatcha Wanna Hear About?

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
Since this is the MP3 MIXING forum, I suppose that MIXES are what we should be concerned about, but sometimes people do want feedback about the song. I have often gone into depth about the songs themselves and maybe thats a wrong approach, I don't know.

It made me think that when we post something, it would be a good standard procedure to invite the type of feedback we want. For example:

Here is a song I wrote about ducks. Please let me know what you think of the mix, the quacking duck lead solo, and the song itself.

Rather than:

heres a tune, dudes. whatcha think?

Just a thought. Should we focus only on the recording or the recording and the song? Or let the person posting ask the questions? Coffee? Tea? or Single Malt? Which came first the chicken or the duck...

.........sometimes it is a little hard to critique something when someone doesnt want to hear it. I know what you mean. Sometimes a person might put up a song just to showcase the song, then get a little put off when people start criticizing the mix or whatever else in the recording. Personally I feel that if a person puts up something, and "doesnt" ask for something specific, It's "all" fair game. Usually, If its something that is pretty outright shitty, I wouldnt say anything at all........ but if its good stuff (which most of the stuff in here is) I dont feel uncomfortable being honest about whatever i feel i can comment about. I know that i appreciate the same in return. .......just love this stuff:D :D mike

Thats why I suggest that folks are specific about the feedback they want. I won't waste my time critiquing a song if all they want to know is how does the mix sound. If they say nothing, I agree--its fair game.

Actually, most of the time I say nothing if I can't offer something constructive. I have listened to a few posts where I skipped a reply altogether.

I think everybody is pretty fair here. Its a fine line between honest and mean. If I can't figure out a way to say what I think without being destructive, I say nothing.

I'm fairly new here but I've greatly appreciated the feedback I received on my posted songs. The mixing advice has been spot on and made me aware of my "blind spots". It obviously helps to be specific about what advice you want, but the open mixed bag approach brings interesting comments too. Of course complements and general "ego-stroking" has it's place too and can make all the difference to some poor bastard struggling for hours over a computer screen. I just wish I had more bandwidth to listen to more stuff.

It's a mixed bag at the moment - but that's part of the fun. It seems to go sour when people take themselves too seriously. Other than that I think more specific questions about mixes tend to produce more generally useful threads to read.

My 2 cents

well...since my other thread was really lame, maybe I can be successful in expressing my thoughts here.

I feel unless the creator specifically asks for some specific attention, it IS open to all and any comments. And..these would include the recording, performances, arranging, production, the song itself, and even silly stuff like its' commerciallity, song length...anything. And...as many might guess...if the writer/creator/performer asks for nothing specific, I might even comment on the mp3 encoding, whether the hosting website was easy to use, ....or I might just even complain just to complain!!!!:D :D

I figure if someone posts something here, with specifics...or no specifics, I have the right to comment on anything...as much as they have the right to post anything.

I also enjoy reading others comments on songs I've not been involved in too...to get their slant on things as compared to what I might think. So..the more opinions on stuff, the better.

(I still like best efforts, etc...which I BELIEVE 95% of the people are doing here, btw)

oh well, that's kinda what I meant....maybe I'll just zip the yapper up for awhile and listen to some of the stuff here that just slams the crap on the radio....

I also agree that this is a CLINIC, and anything posted here is open to critique. Now when one acts as critic, I think it is good practice to express positive observations as well as more critical ones. There is always something good about stuff I hear on this board, and always something that could improve. I personally wouldn't post my music here if I didn't intend to have it intelligently analyzed. In music we are for the most part trying to express some feelings, tell a story. If that feeling isn't being conveyed to the listener through the song and/or its mix, then someone else may help you to get there.
If you can't take a little criticism, and see the VALUE of it, find another hobby/ career.

Back