Mix Services - Advice, Critique, etc...

johnsuitcase

In the past, I've done some mixing for home recordists, but I'm feeling that this is a service I'd like to offer to more people. I'm trying to develop my 'pitch,' as it were, and so I'm hoping to get some feedback here.

I'm not trying to get business from you all (yet!), but I'm hoping you won't mind reading over my page, and giving me your first impressions.

I'm also offering a freebie to anyone here who'd like it, I'd be glad to mix a song for you, with the understanding that I can post it (or part of it) as an example on my site. Of course, if you hate it, I won't post it! I have one example up right now, but it's just a singer and guitar, no drums, etc.

Here's my page, keep in mind it's still being developed:

Mix Services

Also, my pricing scheme I think is fair, but since you guys are part of the target market, please tell me if you think I'm way off base here.

I look forward to your (hopefully not too scathing) remarks!

John

I think it's a decent idea. Personally I find the mixing is the fun :D , but maybe that is just me and my nutball stuff.

Your page looks fine, the big pic of the Tascam 122 took a minute to get. It looks like you are (at first) working with a 122 until you look around a bit more.

I gotta say this: The first two demo reel mp3s are not gonna help your cause, sorry. Maybe its the mp3 conversion, is it a low bit rate? They sound muffled, flat and almost mono, its all coming out the center of my setup. Very little width. The songs are quite catchy and sound fine, but it's not knocking my socks off by any means. :o

Good luck, I think its a decent idea and hope you get some takers. :)

Sounds like a great service and I'm sure you will get some business from here. There is one thing I'm not clear on though. This paragraph:

IMPORTANT! All of the tracks MUST have the same starting point. If you drag the tracks into your recording program and hit play, it should sound something like the song! If things are not playing back in time, I won't be able to reconstruct the song on my end!

I record on an ADAT and transfer one track at a time to hard drive. The tracks are never perfectly aligned because you need to push play then click the record button with the mouse. Is there no way you can line these tracks up? What about if each track had the click track at the beginning so you knew where each began? Ok, so some day I need to start recording direct to computer but I just can't right now. :D

Good point!

I actually sometimes have people copy a stick click or similar impulse to all of the tracks, so I can line them up that way. Or you could record a click to all 8 tracks, of course.

I'll add that to my page, thanks!

(And if I have a decent rough mix to work from, I can align the tracks by ear, though it's a bit less convenient!)

There's a lot of info across the site!
The prime before & after example isn't attention grabbing - it's nice, it's good work on your part but it didn't GRAB. You might need to consider a band sample as well.
The graphics are very no name. Even the logo is like something from clip art.
I know you're trying to push the low cost component but you need to generate a little more confidence through your visuals.
Your equipment list was hard to find. Is it hidden away deliberately?
Good luck - you've some good samples.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the info, I wasn't trying to hide my equipment list, but I'm also not really trying to sell my 'gear' so to speak...

The graphics are decidedly low impact, that's true! I made the logo myself, it's sort of indie/punk, but that was on purpose. I'm not really a web designer (not by choice, anyway!), so I've kept things simple. But I agree that a professional looking site builds confidence, of course.

I'd like to have another example for the mix comparison, I'll have to email a couple of other bands I've done mixes for, and see if they're ok with 'exposing' their mixes! Ed (the featured guy) is a good friend, we actually did some live stuff later on, that's on the 'jukebox'...

I'm going to update my demo reel a bit, per the earlier comment, some of those samples are a couple of years old, I just haven't been good about keeping it current...

Thanks again!

I updated my equipment list, just for you!

It's on my FAQ page.

Any suggestions for visuals? I work on location when recording, so there aren't any really cool studio shots...

Back