Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mix and production comments

Thanks

mix and production comments

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm looking for mix and production feedback on this song. What do you guys think?

http://soundsundergroundstudio.com/driving.mp3
    www.myspace.com/ellison
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7939421&productCategoryId=cat02009&type=product&tab=4&id=1559980

Thanks
    replying as I listen:

1. Bright! too bright. cymbals could go down just a hair at the intro
    2. voice...hmm...very sibilantiated (i made that up, but you're welcome to use it). De-Ess the crud out of that and it'll be great! Vocals during the first verse are pretty good, mix wise. good voice she has too
    3. good BGV level.
    4. drums sound good, but there's something just a tad too bright about the whole thing at this point (1:30)
    5. guitars sit very nicely...!
    6. Bass sounds good as well.
    7. break at 2:34 - I'd bring out the BGVs a little more - nice effect they have there...
    8. great ending.

man, that was a good song. Great mix...only the "too bright" issue stood out, as far as I'm concerned.

cholo

Thanks
    Sounds very very good to me. Really good tones coming from everything. I didn't notice anything being overly bright Everything very well balanced on my listening. I give it two thumbs up!

Thanks
    Overall, I thought the song, performances and mix were pretty good.

The drums seem to be a little buried in the mix, which might be okay for the style of the song. The drum sounds and performance seem to be very good, but the bass is "in yer face" for pretty much the whole song, while the kick seems to disappear in the busy spots. It still kind of works though. It seems that the vocal is well aspected as the "main feature", so more drums might screw that up - I don't know. If it were my mix, I might be trying to get a hair more out of the drums, probably at the expense of the bass and guitars.

I'm not sure that it was too bright, but I agree with the sibilance issues on the vocals. I'm not sure what the cause is - could be a mic or positioning issue with the tracking. She's a good singer, for sure and the vocals stand out very well in the mix but also seem to have the worst fidelity. Grainy. It's hard to tell at the RMS level the track was mixed to. Which leads to:

Dynamics!

The song still has good dynamic content to it. I get the impression that it wasn't crushed to death with a limiter, and indeed the valleys are there in certain passages which leads to good punch and impact. Thing is, when I listened to it in Cool Edit and looked at the meter, the over indicators were on constantly. This might actually be the source of the vocal problems. If the mix could be rendered again at 1 or 2 dB lower without actually changing any balances, or until most of those overs go away, that could help to clean things up for you there. I'd probably try that first, and then see if the vocals are still sibilant and look at some de-essing options. I've heard worse sounds coming off of CDs that were hard limited to the rails without actually having any overs, fwiw.

If you absolutely have to jack the RMS up that high, try using a limiter.

But it still sounds pretty good overall.

my two cents...

sl

Thanks

Really nice track...

I think the vocals could benefit from being ever so slightly brighter in the verse parts...they sound a little muddy as they sit...

All in all, reminds me of Paramore, very nice and exceptionally polished job
    (listening on headphones at work)
    Ben.

Thanks
    I felt it was a VERY good mix. The vocal was a bit low in the mix but I've had lots of bands request that of me. Very slick IMHO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snow lizard View Post
    when I listened to it in Cool Edit and looked at the meter, the over indicators were on constantly.
    I'm not sure how you are getting overs constantly. If you are getting overs in cool edit, the meter is calibrated wrong and you probably get overs with tracks you pull off any commercial CD.

There are no overs with this track in Wavelab or Protools. I haven't tried any other program.

Thanks for the comments. I will deess the vocal a little and maybe bring down the overheads in some spots. Also maybe automate the kick drum or guitars in some spots.
    www.myspace.com/ellison
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7939421&productCategoryId=cat02009&type=product&tab=4&id=1559980

Thanks
    I don't know what to say. I just loaded Race For the Prize by The Flaming Lips and Young Modern Station by Silverchair. Both tunes have similar RMS and I had only one over at the end of the Silverchair tune - no big deal, just a stray transient.

I don't know how many samples it takes to trip any of these different setups. Maybe the wave file is different but here's a screenshot of the mp3:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails driving-jpg  

Thanks
    Sounded pretty good to me....the vocals do get a bit muddy in the verse though.....nice job, cool tune
    Listen to my fantabulous music here
    My music

G.F.C.G. 000 039

Thanks
    Sounds pretty good. I don't know why people are saying the vocals sound muddy. To me they sound a bit thin with too much high end, lol.

My only real criticism is that the low end is all kick and not enough bass guitar. Overall a very nice production.

Thread Information