Mix My Song — Soliloquy

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Hey guys, here's another song compliments of my band and it needs to be MIXED! We have two more songs that need to be mixed that I will post in the next few days, and eventually I will post higher quality WAVs onto NL5's hosting service and will have a shootout, and someone will get paid :]

Here is a link to the ZIP file located on MediaFire, let me know if you guys have any issues:

http://www.mediafire.com/?avyhzyn8z1z

Here is a very rough mix...

... I had a few issues with the vocals. The singer seemed to lose control at the end. Even the highest setting on my compressor couldn't contain it. I recommend a retrack of the chorus at the end.

Basically, I am trying to get a feel for it still. I was just wondering if I am headed in the right direction:

Here is Soliloquy

Let me know if it sounds like it's getting there...

Last edited:
We might re-track the vocals for that song, anyways. The vocalist wasn't "feeling" it the past few days so we haven't really laid any good tracks down *shrug*

Other than that, I'm listening on laptop speakers and it sounds pretty good. I think I hear a lot of kick drum, and a lot of Garrett's guitar (he's not the best player in the world). I tend to bring myself up in mixes *goes on ego-mania trip :D * Other than that, it sounds pretty good!

There are some strange clicks in the vocal chorus track, for instance at 1:21. Check out what causes them before re-tracking.

There are some strange clicks in the vocal chorus track, for instance at 1:21. Check out what causes them before re-tracking.

I think that might be the metronome coming through the headphones into the condenser.

I noticed it on the some of the drums, too. Shouldn't be much of an issue regarding the drums, especially since we're just putting together a three song demo disc for a press kit.

Hip Hop guy gonna take a stab at it....Don't laugh, just helping out my own private skill level....I'll post tonight...

I think that might be the metronome coming through the headphones into the condenser.
Only 23ms apart at places? No way.
I noticed a metronome click as well, which is different and not at all that distracting. What I mean sounds more like jittering problems when ripping CD audio with an unsuitable old drive, but it can't be that, I guess.

I noticed a metronome click as well, which is different and not at all that distracting. What I mean sounds more like jittering problems when ripping CD audio with an unsuitable old drive, but it can't be that, I guess.

I guess it could be the fact that they are mp3s or the fact that we didn't really isolate the sound in the room we were doing vocals in :confused:

Do what you guys can, in the meantime we'll re-do the vocals for this track!

Whoa, I see what you're saying now. When he says "lie" it starts stuttering and chopping up real bad.

Yeah, we're going to have to redo those vocals...

Well, see if you can't do it some justice anyway :]

It's on the vocal track in a couple of different places. On the raw track you can hear it. It sounds like the singer wasn't standing still while he was tracking. He may have had his eyes closed and was wobbling back and forth. He may have overtaxed the diaphram a couple times.

We might re-track the vocals for that song, anyways. The vocalist wasn't "feeling" it the past few days so we haven't really laid any good tracks down *shrug*

Other than that, I'm listening on laptop speakers and it sounds pretty good. I think I hear a lot of kick drum, and a lot of Garrett's guitar (he's not the best player in the world). I tend to bring myself up in mixes *goes on ego-mania trip :D * Other than that, it sounds pretty good!
I was going for balance there. The playing isn't all that bad. My only concern was how alike your guitars/amps sounded. I was tempted to re-amp some parts.

damn, you guys are good.

thats all i got for now. once i get my headphones from my bands place i'll post some better "critiques".

:D thanks a billion guys :D

edit...
as far as timing goes, i think the biggest problem is that our drummer has a hard time playing with a click and staying in beat like that. we might have to try some other methods before getting this whole timing thing figured out. anyone have any suggestions?

I know I'm a bit late, but i had a go at mixing this song too. My attempt does not compare with NL5s, but i enjoyed it. Good practice for me. Will post a link as soon as i get the email from lightningmp3

Back