Mix Help- Acoustic first try

chamelious

www.thesunexplodes.com
Hey guys, im trying to get better at singing/acoustic guitar....../Recording the aforementioned. Heres my first stab any and all comments appreciated.

Song is shorted coz i just wanted to get something down, its called "To feel like you" and can be downloaded from:
http://www.myspace.com/thenightmareplan

Guitar: My new Takamine electro/ac TD-8, one take, 2 channels, one of them close miced at the soundhole with an sm58, the other direct in from the 1/4" out. Light ambient reverb on both tracks, small amount of eq, panned 25% left and right.

Vocals are pretty much single takes couple of overdubs, again the SM58, compression and reverb.

Everything through a behri mixer>delta 44>old version of cubase.

I have a red5 RV6 on the way which im hoping will help me out with the AC and vocals, planning on getting pro tools m powered next month.

Think thats it!

Vocals need some work.

Acoustic guitar sounds worse with the DI in there, to me. I'd remove it or turn it down real low.

There's a little boomyness in the acoustic probably from miking the soundhole. Try miking around the 15th fret or where the neck meets the body and point it away from the soundhole. Try to pickup a lot of the "pick sound" it helps the guitar stand out.

Also, MySpace quality sucks. Try uploading a better quailty mp3.

Overall I don't think it sounds bad just think there is a lot of room for improvement.

Hmm cheers...Care to elaberate on the vocals? Other than the fact im a terrible singer....

Thanks for the advice on the acoustic guitar, what would you say's a good technique for micing with a LDC?

i just sent you an add request! the song sounds pretty good to me but i agree about the guitar, you should just take out the d.i. and make a double of the mic'd track, then e.q. them out and pan them. There is a lot of boom on the guitar track, which can be easily removed with some careful e.q. Vocals werent terrible, keep practicing and you'll sound like a pro.

Vocals need a lot of work as in, the performance. Work on your singing. Sounds like someone singing at karaoke. Not necessarily bad, but not great. And in the mixing aspect, it doesn't sit well with the guitars, it sounds like you're singing over them and not with them.

I bet you could sing if you practiced more. Solo the vocal track and listen to it.

Re-do the guitars. You could record the same part twice (2 different takes), pan one L and the other R for a nice, wide stereo sound.

Or slap this free effect on the mono guitar track to get a wider sound.
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/797.html

Not sure if you'll like that but I use it on acoustic all the time.

the singing isnt bad at all...the recording of the singing sound a little flat i guess....but i like the song.

Back