• I prefer mix no 2

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I don't like either one

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I like both the same

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

banjo71

I sent my recorded wav files to a professional studio to get mixed, and got that back about a year ago. Tonight and for the last few nights I have been working on mixing the same song myself, and I won't tell you which is which until I get enough replies. I'd ask that you click on each link and click the play button on the player that comes up for both versions, no1 and no2, and tell me which one you prefer and why. Thanks!! I'll respond to the replies and questions as they come.

Mainline Runner no 1 - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

Mainline Runner no 2 - Banjo Hangout Jukebox

I'm back and forth on which I think is the pro mix. Mix 1 is louder, and the lead instrument especially pops out from the mix. But it also has way less low-end (especially bass). The prominence of the leads could be indicative of a pro mixer applying general pop sensibilities or an amateur mixer trying too hard with the mastering plugins.

Mix 2 is a little warmer, which could be to its benefit. I feel like mix 1 might start to feel grating and fatiguing on repeat listens. The fade outs of instruments going from lead to bg in 2 are much more pronounced and less smooth.

Overall, I don't think I'd be excited about either mix. Bluegrass is one of those genres that should be mostly mixed by the performers, right? You shouldn't need to mess with someone's levels when they step up for their solo because if they're good, they should have adjusted their own playing.

Kind of with [MENTION=45867]VomitHatSteve[/MENTION]here - these are like papa and mama bear mixes for me.

Overall the first mix is more interesting because I can still hear the other instruments during the breaks, though it's almost a tiny bit much of that. I know it's acoustic BG, but bass is weak for me. And, I'm not completely sold on the placement of folks in the stereo field, but that could be personal taste.

I didn't really like the second mix. The fiddle break spread across LR was weird, and everything dropping way back for breaks, which still felt like they could use a bit of EQ just didn't have a good feel for me. Bass might have been a tad high there to my ear, but I only listened on one set of cans.

I want a reswizzle on this because there's some tasty playing there and neither of these is quite as good as I think I'd like to hear it, though I could probably live with the first after a bit of EQ and panning moves (I'd probably automate to give that in/out to center feel), perhaps.

There are things about each mix I like better and things I don't.

Mix #1 is clearer, but to the point of sounding sterile. It's louder, but not overly loud.

Mix #2 is warmer, and easier on the ear, but to the point of almost being muffled. The fiddle on the right is super buried until it comes out at about :30 seconds or so. If a pro did that, I'd be surprised.

To me there ought to be a mix #3 that's in the middle of those two. And about as loud a mix #1. And doesn't have the fiddle buried.

I'll take Mix No. 1

The banjo picking in the opening and after the guitar break was a bit too loud. The instruments were better balanced, as opposed to Mix No. 2
where the guitar picking in the break was too far left.

The bass was too loud in No. 2 and sounded good in No.1.

In No. 1, aside from the opening and after the break, the banjo sounded ok to me - just too loud in other parts as mentioned.

I’m not sure I like either one, the 1st mix makes me think the banjo player mixed it. While it’s balance is better, the acoustic guitar solo isn’t as separated the mix is brighter but, fatigued my ear when listening on my phone.
Mix 2 was warmer but has some issues. I do like the bass, a bit more and the guitar and mandolin solos have a bit more separation. A bit of both mixes is what’s needed. I could listen to mix 2 more times without feeling like my ears are getting fatigued.

i think you need find some way to find middle ground between these two mixes. Too shrill on mix1 and too dull on mix2

Back