MIX CRITIQUE - "Mice"

You're the man, Nick. Lose the echoes, they're distracting. Your voice is good enough not to put mudflaps on it. Bring it up to the front also. Sounds like you are singing through the back of the mic.

Good groove to this tune. Love the funky git work. The harmonies are cool, too.

Lots of potential here. :)

Pretty good. I don't actually mind the echoes. It's not like they're overpowering or anything.

The drums are fairly jazzy and not so much rock drums, I think. During the verses it sounds good: it drives and builds the sound, but when you hit the chorus/bridge/solos, the drums just seem too relaxed.

Nice harmonies on the bridge. Good guitar work too.

Thanks fellas for all the nice words. I feel like when I bring the vocals up in volume they overpower the rest of the mix. A possibility for me might be bringing them up and applying more verb to maybe make them sit in the mix better.

About the drums, when calling them jazzy are you refering to the actual playing or the way they are mixed?

thanks again guys.

Cool mix; it has a soft, laid back feel to it.

The vocals could come up a "small" tad. I like the echoes, but if you lower them a little, they might not be as distracting as mention in the earlier post

Shit, it sounds good to me. Nice funky groove to it. The vocals sound fine. That wacka-wacka guitar part is awesome. Great mix.

If I had to nitpick something I'd say get more bass/kick seperation. Maybe raise the kick level, or boost the highs a little just to get a little more slap out of it.

Overall good song and mix. :)

Great reviews, it is apperent i need to do some editing to the vocals. That is a good idea, I probably will lower the volume of the echoes. I will also try the verb idea I stated above. Is there any effects or techniques you guys can think of for the vocals?

Thanks, Nick

Cool!

I like the vocals (really nice harmonies later on) and don't mind the echo, but agree with some that it might be nice to take it down a bit level-wise.

This reminds me quite a bit of Phish at times (hope that isn't an insult from your perspective) especially the rhythm guitar at the beginning and the vocal harmonies.

I think I agree with Greg, that maybe there is something between the bass and kick that could be separated or cleaned up, but really very good overall.

Have downloaded - will burn...:)

Excellent, thanks for the nice review. Phish is about the best comment you can make about the song. Phish is a big influence. I'll have to look into the bass/kick issue, maybe boost the highs like Greg said. Thanks again

I revised a couple things tonight. I bumped the vocals up a tad, turned the echo down a bit, and attempted to correct the bass/kick problem.

I will post the new version tommarrow morning, its 2AM here :eek:

Good job ... nice blend of styles ... part of the middle change hearkens back to "Court of the Crimson King" in sound.

In the answering vocal part -- the right is louder than the left ... and overpowers ... most of it is in the tone/eq vs level -- the right vocal has more energy in the sensitive vocal freq ranges -- and so pokes through a bit more. Instead of changing the right, I'd dial in a more aggressive tone on the lead vocal ... not a lot, just enough. It should stand out just a little more -- and comes across slightly unnaturally muffled ... like listening w/ cotton balls in your ears.

Which lends the whole mix an impression of "soft" ...

Adding a little bite to the vocal will pop it a little more, and somewhat counter the cotton ball effect.

Really nice performances here, just excellent.

Best,

Kev-

The song is great, I really do like the different textures on the guitars. The vocals sounded good to me..some of the backups were like Alice In Chains, always loved them. Nice funky bass groove throughout. Good stuff.

Very nice guitar work. There are points (solo @ 3min for example) that has kind of like a Carlos Santana flavor. A definite mixure of styles; great job.

Last edited:
Back