Mix critique

derekbuc

Hi guys, first time poster. Just wondering if you could give a quick listen and critique the mix I have of this song. Trying to do something positive in lockdown with my old band and put together a decent recording of some songs that we used to do. Still waiting for the lead guitarist to put down his parts on it. Everything was done in my bedroom really. The drummer used an electric kit and I used that as a reference for BFD. Guitars are using Helix native. I can only mix on headphones really, so I'd love to hear some feedback on it. Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Wicked Chick.mp3
    9.1 MB · Views: 14
Welcome to the forum.

I think this sounds very well balanced so far. Nothing stuck out to me mix-wise; everything was audible, and the bass and kick are nice and clear. Nice performances all around.

The only constructive criticism I can offer is on the vocal. You mentioned that the lead guitar is yet to come, so I guess that means that tracking isn't complete. Overall, it sounds very nice. But, IMHO, the falsetto is not working very well. It just sounds a little weak against the music. When it first came in --- during the kind of breakdown verse --- it really stuck out and sounded odd to me. It was like ... the Fine Young Cannibals stepped in all of the sudden. IMHO, the normal octave would have sounded much better there; the breakdown would have provided enough of a variation.

Especially during the outro (from about 3:25 on), it sounds as though it should be more of a full chest voice thing (or at least mixed chest/head) to have some power in it, because the music's going full on there.

Just my .02.

Great comments! Thanks a lot for the feedback. I think once the lead guitar goes down I'll get the singer to do the vocals again. When he sang it was a very rough mix so it might be a better performance if he has something better to sing along to. Thanks again. Loving the forum. I'll definitely post a few more that I have. Cheers!

I agree with [MENTION=15168]famous beagle[/MENTION]. I'll add that the first drum hit in the opening is boomy - in my closed phones - the rest sounds good. I really enjoyed the qualities of the voice in the lead vocal - very nice.

So far the mix sounds good. A lead guitar will really add to the song. The vocal sounds thin...as if the singer was too far away from the mic or in a strange environment or the track has some odd effects. I think you have a good tune going here. Thanks for the listen.

Back