Mix Critique

Smoove!

Makes me wanna put on a flowy tie-dye linen dress and spin in circles.

Sorry, I know that wasn't very useful info, but on my crappy comp speakers, that's the best I can offer. Anyway, I like it. I'd really like to hear it with the ld. git and vox. So get on it!

Sounds EXCELLENT. The drums sound great. The toms especially. Lots of punch when they roll. Tight and clean sir, Just the way I like 'em. I'll be looking for this when you track the rest.

Thanks alot guys for the input, I think this is the first recording I've done and REALLY been pleased with what I'm getting. I gotta say most of it goes to you guys, I picked up some really useful techniques from everyone on the board. I'll post when the rest is tracked. :)

1. Great song.
2. Great job on the drums. only nit-picky thing i'd say is i would like a little more high end to hear the hats/cymbals a little more clearer - but that's it.
3. Bass sounds real good
4. Guitars sound great as well, but again i'd like a little more high end to help clarify it in its own space. (what?)
5. Piano great as well, same with high end.

maybe i'm saying more high end? Seriously, nit-picky is all that is. the mix is great. good job sir/ma'am/what?

cholo

Last edited:
1. Great song.
2. Great job on the drums. only nit-picky thing i'd say is i would like a little more high end to hear the hats/cymbals a little more clearer - but that's it.
3. Bass sounds real good
4. Guitars sound great as well, but again i'd like a little more high end to help clarify it in its own space. (what?)

maybe i'm saying more high end? Seriously, nit-picky is all that is. the mix is great. good job sir/mam/what?

cholo

Nick the MAN is the name, haha. Thanks, yeah I kinda wanted to bring up the overhead level on the drums, but my room is pretty bad so i tried to use as much of the direct mics sound as I could, but maybe I will instead of raising them I'll just add some high end and that will compensate for it. Thanks again.

Well I didn't think your song would play on this connection but for some reason soundclick files work on dialup.

Anyway...

The song itself: Very well arranged and performed. Sounds good even without the missing pieces. The things that stood out to me instantly were the drums (well duh...it STARTED with the drums), piano, and bass gtr. Great job...

The mix: Technically, I didn't hear anything wrong with it. VERY well recorded and sonically balanced to my ear. I'm loving the compression settings on the drums. I do agree with Elcholo, however, that some high end treatment is necessary...especially on the hi hats and cymbals. They don't sound as "exciting" compared to the rest of the song. Personal preferences: If it were me, I'd turn the kick up about 3-4db. It would be nice to be able to "feel" it a bit more. I'd also turn the cymbals up just a bit along with the high eq treatment to give it just a little more excitement (but be careful not to over do it. Harsh highs can really tire a listener).

You've got good talent, sir.

Well I didn't think your song would play on this connection but for some reason soundclick files work on dialup.

Anyway...

The song itself: Very well arranged and performed. Sounds good even without the missing pieces. The things that stood out to me instantly were the drums (well duh...it STARTED with the drums), piano, and bass gtr. Great job...

The mix: Technically, I didn't hear anything wrong with it. VERY well recorded and sonically balanced to my ear. I'm loving the compression settings on the drums. I do agree with Elcholo, however, that some high end treatment is necessary...especially on the hi hats and cymbals. They don't sound as "exciting" compared to the rest of the song. Personal preferences: If it were me, I'd turn the kick up about 3-4db. It would be nice to be able to "feel" it a bit more. I'd also turn the cymbals up just a bit along with the high eq treatment to give it just a little more excitement (but be careful not to over do it. Harsh highs can really tire a listener).

You've got good talent, sir.

Thank you for all the compliments, and suggestions. I guess I'm gonna have to work on the high end.

1. Great song.
3. Bass sounds real good

maybe i'm saying more high end? Seriously, nit-picky is all that is. the mix is great. good job sir/ma'am/what?

cholo

Same here with the high-hats and cymbals. The drums are tuned! That snare is spot on with the song except I wish it had a little more snare bite to it...otherwise, nicely done!

Sounds awfully Phish-y, but in a good way. Some nice guitar effects and panning during the solo. You got the vocals blended in well. What were you nervous about?

Good song, good mix.

Cheers,

Pretty nice. Bass is a wee loud for my tastes. There are some notes that POP! out more than others. Maybe a bit more compression. I take it you are enjoying your new monitors.

Thanks, ill have to listen through for the pops again, i thought there was a couple situations like that in the guitar solos too. The monitors are...... GREAT!

Sounds awfully Phish-y, but in a good way. Some nice guitar effects and panning during the solo. You got the vocals blended in well. What were you nervous about?

Good song, good mix.

Cheers,

Oh yeah they are VERY influenced by phish and moe. and many other bands in that same genre. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Back