Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mix Critique

Thanks

Mix Critique

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well the song is written by some good friends of mine. I recorded and mixed what we have so far (lead guitar and vocals still to come). But i was wondering what you think of the mix so far. I put a "master limiter" on the track to bring it up to a -14.something RMS value, just so its a respectable volume.

Let me know what you think.

Its the top song:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=644522
    [URL=http://www.aqueousband.com]My Band: Aqueous - www.aqueousband.com[/URL]

Thanks
    Smoove!

Makes me wanna put on a flowy tie-dye linen dress and spin in circles.

Sorry, I know that wasn't very useful info, but on my crappy comp speakers, that's the best I can offer. Anyway, I like it. I'd really like to hear it with the ld. git and vox. So get on it!

Thanks

Thumbs up

Sounds EXCELLENT. The drums sound great. The toms especially. Lots of punch when they roll. Tight and clean sir, Just the way I like 'em. I'll be looking for this when you track the rest.

Thanks
    Thanks alot guys for the input, I think this is the first recording I've done and REALLY been pleased with what I'm getting. I gotta say most of it goes to you guys, I picked up some really useful techniques from everyone on the board. I'll post when the rest is tracked.

Thanks
    1. Great song.
    2. Great job on the drums. only nit-picky thing i'd say is i would like a little more high end to hear the hats/cymbals a little more clearer - but that's it.
    3. Bass sounds real good
    4. Guitars sound great as well, but again i'd like a little more high end to help clarify it in its own space. (what?)
    5. Piano great as well, same with high end.

maybe i'm saying more high end? Seriously, nit-picky is all that is. the mix is great. good job sir/ma'am/what?

cholo
    Last edited by elcholo; 09-13-2007 at 07:29.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elcholo View Post
    1. Great song.
    2. Great job on the drums. only nit-picky thing i'd say is i would like a little more high end to hear the hats/cymbals a little more clearer - but that's it.
    3. Bass sounds real good
    4. Guitars sound great as well, but again i'd like a little more high end to help clarify it in its own space. (what?)
    5. Piano great as well, same with high end.

maybe i'm saying more high end? Seriously, nit-picky is all that is. the mix is great. good job sir/mam/what?

cholo
    Nick the MAN is the name, haha. Thanks, yeah I kinda wanted to bring up the overhead level on the drums, but my room is pretty bad so i tried to use as much of the direct mics sound as I could, but maybe I will instead of raising them I'll just add some high end and that will compensate for it. Thanks again.

Arkansas....moving to Texas in a few weeks...
    Thanks
    Well I didn't think your song would play on this connection but for some reason soundclick files work on dialup.

Anyway...

The song itself: Very well arranged and performed. Sounds good even without the missing pieces. The things that stood out to me instantly were the drums (well duh...it STARTED with the drums), piano, and bass gtr. Great job...

The mix: Technically, I didn't hear anything wrong with it. VERY well recorded and sonically balanced to my ear. I'm loving the compression settings on the drums. I do agree with Elcholo, however, that some high end treatment is necessary...especially on the hi hats and cymbals. They don't sound as "exciting" compared to the rest of the song. Personal preferences: If it were me, I'd turn the kick up about 3-4db. It would be nice to be able to "feel" it a bit more. I'd also turn the cymbals up just a bit along with the high eq treatment to give it just a little more excitement (but be careful not to over do it. Harsh highs can really tire a listener).

You've got good talent, sir.
    C:\Users\Trell Blaze\Desktop\Woodstock.jpgListen if u dare...I dare u... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=749086
    <<<NOW AVAILABLE ON SOUNDCLICK...WHO THE HELL THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE A COOL NAME FOR A MUSIC WEBSITE?

Thanks

Nice stuff, Nick

It will be interesting to see how the vocals mesh!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Archiegood View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the vocals mesh!
    Yeah this is what I'm nervous about, they can make or break it. We'll have to see.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
    Well I didn't think your song would play on this connection but for some reason soundclick files work on dialup.

Anyway...

The song itself: Very well arranged and performed. Sounds good even without the missing pieces. The things that stood out to me instantly were the drums (well duh...it STARTED with the drums), piano, and bass gtr. Great job...

The mix: Technically, I didn't hear anything wrong with it. VERY well recorded and sonically balanced to my ear. I'm loving the compression settings on the drums. I do agree with Elcholo, however, that some high end treatment is necessary...especially on the hi hats and cymbals. They don't sound as "exciting" compared to the rest of the song. Personal preferences: If it were me, I'd turn the kick up about 3-4db. It would be nice to be able to "feel" it a bit more. I'd also turn the cymbals up just a bit along with the high eq treatment to give it just a little more excitement (but be careful not to over do it. Harsh highs can really tire a listener).

You've got good talent, sir.
    Thank you for all the compliments, and suggestions. I guess I'm gonna have to work on the high end.

Thread Information