Mix check.

dyermaker8

testing out some new mics, but i'm concerned about my mixes being to bright,

thoughts on where to go besides more room treatment?

Thanks!

D

Attachments

• el test.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 14
Other than some flutter echo the reverb of the room sounds fairly decent. Try just putting clouds over the 1/3 marks on your ceiling. I'm not hearing any obvious bass buildups.
Overblown when the chorus kicks in. Lots of distort/clip going on.
There are other issues, but I'll stick to mix issues since that's what you're asking.

Thanks, that was what my ears heard as well. Nice to have confirmation! Feel free to point out other issues as well, but , as should be obvious, I didn't spend a lot of time editing this. The Chorus was a quick and sloppy afterthought. Reverb on the masterbus. I'm also using a chain that looks like this (2 tracks live take) SDC mic on vocals, Ribbon on guitar - presonus bluetube - $10 A/D converter - digital input on tascam us-144mkII - reaper.

This is part of my remote rig that I'm planning on using to do some quick and dirty demos.

I just meant the vocals were all over the place. High in spots, low in spots, quavery, etc. I just assumed this was a quick check and you didn't need that bit critiqued.

You didn't like my quaveriness!!! Jeez,. I'd never even played the song before,.lol. when I started I noticed I slipped into a pseudo accent and didn't stop because I thought it was funny.

Personally too much reverb on the whole thing. Sounds like your in a large tiled bathroom. I would bring some of that out .

You've got a very soft acoustic guitar sounds going on. I think that a westerny song like this might profit from a guitar sound with more highs and bit less body.
I don't mind the reverb, I'd keep it.

it is a tad bright. the acoustic distorts the same way acoustic guitar distorts on tape. it's a nice, humbling sound.

Personally too much reverb on the whole thing. Sounds like your in a large tiled bathroom. I would bring some of that out .

That was in the OP. I thought the line about room treatment meant there was no reverb added...maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds more like a poorly treated room than too much reverb. Like I said, it's got a bunch of flutter echo going on, which good reverb would not. You may be right about the tiled walls :D

I agree about the reverb accentuating the high frequencies here.
Is there any chance of hearing a mix with reverb completely off, just for reference?

Sure,. I'll post it up when I get home tonight. My main concerns with the mix were strictly balance/room noise and I was testing new mics. I only have pink fluff bass traps at the moment,. so I anticipated flutter issues as I havn't built/installed 1st point traps yet. But they are next on my list.

regarding the soft guitar, Its a ribbon mic at the bridge. It may have been better/brighter at the 12th,.. Next time,.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody.

One step back, two steps forward!
That sounds way better overall.
That hyped high end was just coming from the reverb settings, so there's something for you to look at. :)

Yes, the distortion is still there. It's particularly noticeable around 0:48 when you're strumming harder.
I don't know if it's recorded distortion or if you're hitting a compressor/limiter too hard.
It kinda sounds like the latter so you may yet be able to fix it.

If you put any reverb on there at all I'd be inclined to go for a fairly tight, warm-room, sounding verb rather than something with long tails.
If you really want a longer verb I'd probably put it on the vocal but not on the guitar, so that the guitar rhythm doesn't start getting messy.

But it does sound a lot better. Even the tentative vocals and off pitch notes are not nearly as noticeable with the reverb off. I had assumed it was the room. Never heard flutter effect in a decent reverb. There's stilll just a hint of it, but not nearly as noticeable. Maybe the reverb was amplifying that as well.

Thanks guys,. you're really giving me a lot to chew on. I would say the distortion is a combo of things(presonus pre,compression, harder picking) that I would normally pay a little more attention to. I agree the verb was boosting the highs and the flutter to ill effect.

As this is the type of performance I'm looking to capture in studio I will :
-Apply more room treatment. (this weekend hopefully!, boy the holidays really slow down studio spending,.lol)
-Be more mindful of gain staging and heavy compression
-Be much more cautious about overuse of the verb.

Thanks guys,. you're really giving me a lot to chew on. I would say the distortion is a combo of things(presonus pre,compression, harder picking) that I would normally pay a little more attention to. I agree the verb was boosting the highs and the flutter to ill effect.

As this is the type of performance I'm looking to capture in studio I will :
-Apply more room treatment. (this weekend hopefully!, boy the holidays really slow down studio spending,.lol)
-Be more mindful of gain staging and heavy compression
-Be much more cautious about overuse of the verb.

Cool stuff. Glad you got something useful out of the thread. :)

I didn't really think anything was too bright.

The reverb was really bad though. If it's added, take it out. If it's natural, you need a better recording space.

You have a nice singing voice, but watch pitch. Quite a few pitchy spots.

Back