Mix advice wanted on rock song - "Time Time Time"

FattMusiek

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/discography.php?aid=2076 under 2006

I'm nearly finished recording this catchy pop/rock song called "Time Time Time" by my side project band The Returners. The name might possibly be changed. The bass you hear is a scratch track; we've got the serious bass tone ready to go, just waiting on a friend of mine to track it. There are still some vocal parts that aren't finished but since I'm mixing it as I track it, I figured I would see about getting mix advice before I "finish" it and never look back. If anyone gives a rat's tush about my equipment:

Presonus Firepod
2 Oktava MK012's overhead (following the Recorderman technique to the map)
57 on snare
Beta 52 on kick
Audix F-10 or F-12 on the floor tom (can't remember which was used)
Tama Starclassic Birch drumset

Guitars (Fender American Strat) were recorded through a friend's (s34nsm411 on the bbs) sweet rack setup and his Avatar cab. It has a Mesa Boogie preamp, a sonic maximizer, a cool effect unit, and a Peavey power amp. I miked the cab with one SM57, slightly off axis - an inch or so off the center and pointing up and to the left.
The upcoming bass tone is a 20 year old Fender Precision bass (plays like a dream) through a Sans Amp bass preamp unit.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:
Hey. Great song!

It's tough to tell till you stick that bass in and remix. However, for me, the guitar intro was a bit long (nearly lost interest before the good stuff). I'd chop that in half. The RHS guitar sounds too thin. But that is prob due to lack of bass? I don't know.

"Shine" is the title that jumps out me. "Time time time" is just the kind-of subtitle hook thing. But I don't really know what the song is about.

Make sure you post this back when you complete it. So I can steal it :)

aspiring

If anyone cares at all the song is pretty much completed. I decided not to chop the intro in half because it felt like the verse came too soon. I did take your suggestion into account and try though. Just didn't feel right...The bass was never retracked but all backround vocals have been added and the mix is done. I added a combination of distortion and delay on the last yell near the end that I'm getting mixed opinions on. What do you guys think about it? Too much? Not enough? Just distortion? Just delay? Thanks for reading.

Well it's still a great song. I only listen hear at work on my work PC speakers and I can't even find your yell let alone the distortion?

But cool tune. You obviously churn out enough stuff I wouldn't worry too much about overtweaking each one.

However, I like a challenge, so just now I chopped your intro in half to see for myself. (Isn't there a law about chopping other people songs?) Still like that better, but I'm just impatient. Great stuff. Thanks for the song.

Have fun
aspiring

Great tune there...
Good performance,The words and music flow nicly together.
Personal opinion:compress the vocals a little so they slip into their sonic spot better.
Thin out the backgrounds a bit(they don't need as much body as the lead vox do)
Great guitar work there too.
I miss the scream atb the end too(and I listened twice)

Back with yet another mix of this song. Took into account what you said about the backround vocals. I backed off on the backround vocals as well as compressed the vocals a bit more than before. I also got rid of the delay on the last scream and just kept the distortion. I added a slight delay on the main vocals and added a slight EQ boost at 2500 khz to give them a bit more color. They were dry before. Thanks again for the replies.

Back