Mix advice

Calwood

Hey all,...I need some advice as to whats wrong with this mix. I'm not too concerned with the writing on this tune,..it'll probably go in the shitcan anyway. I just wrote it to give me something new to practice recording and mixing.
Beware,..I'm singing again. Although this time I've outdone myself with craptitude.
I play everything else as well,..as usual.

Please let me know what you think is good about the mix as well as bad. I plan on remixing this on Friday. I need a couple days break from it.

Any advice is appreciated very much.

One Day V1(rough mix)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/davejammusic.htm

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

The mix ain't bad. The vocals in the beginning needs more power - voicevise or other ways. I'm listening on a K-271 headset. The vocals is the weakest part; especially when they are low. Beleive more in your voice. I like the backing/2nd vocal arrangement and mix.
You're no newbie to mixing. This is great stuff in my ears - at least on my 271's. I'm new to this, so hard to tell you where/what to improve - except for the main vocals.
Good stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply E-music. I'd have to agree with ya,..I like the way the vocs in the chorus are sitting,..definitely lacking in the verse parts. I think i need to re-track them maybe.

Thanks alot for your input,...much appreciated.

take 'er easy,..
Calwood

The guitars are hogging the space up. I would cut some 280-330 hz on em with a wide notch. Sounds a lot better when I do it here.

The vocal performance is lackluster and lifeless.

The added vocals are really not meshing well with the mix, smearing the vocal point more than anything.

Yep, at 319hz with a Q of .5 I get a lot of the mud out of this mix, it's mostly the guitars doing it.

Thanks a TON for the feedback Jake. Thats exactly the kind I'm looking for with this post. I'll try cutting those freq's on the remix. Thanks alot man,..really.

As for the vocs,..well,..to call them lackluster and lifeless is being way too kind. They definitely hurt this mix. I'm no singer but I've done better. Maybe because I didnt really like this tune,..but now it's starting to grow on me,..so I'll re-track the vocs with more conviction and maybe a different approach.

I dont agree with the backing vocs smearing the vocal point. I think it adds alot to it,..but,...I dunno.

Well,..the good thing is that no-one has said the drums suck. Maybe i'm getting better at playing those damn things.

Thanks for the advice guys. Anymore would be greatly appreciated.

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Listened to the tune. Thought it was very good. Cool, and interesting. You haven't heard crappy singing till you've heard my voice. I liked the whole tune. Had kind of a spacey feel. Many elements of different musical styles here. I also listened to Paranoid. Loved it. I'm a huge Sabbath fan, but have not recorded one of their songs yet. Anyway, good recordings.

Hey Dogman,..thanks for the review,..glad you liked the tune. Thanks for the kind words.
I had "paranoid" up last summer for comments,..just put it back up so a buddy of mine in N.C. could check it out.
I'm a Sabbath fan myself and thats always been my favorite tune. Glad ya enjoyed it!

Thanks

Take 'er easy,...

Calwood

Back