minimal processing metal

Not my cup of tea musically but indeed sounds great(at least on my little computer speakers, and they can be brutal). Doesn't hurt that the band is tight of course. Congratulations, must have felt great to lay off the eq.

Any drum triggering/replacement there?

Hail to you :D ....
Really good sounding, really clean sounding and good prescence on the guitars vox and drums.
the bass is also tight as as ####.

I second metal heads statement on having much to learn.

great work man :)

Good stuff, man. Very good. You need to be schooling us schlups. I could really use it. This stuff sounds awesome. I'd buy you some beer if you lived closer.... :D
Thanks for sharing this. Great stuff.
Ed

Nice one Jason!! :cool: :D
Its nice when the artists talent is rivaled by that of the engineers. ;)
Makes life easy dosent it?

All of the sounds are the drums as they were played. D112 on the kick, 2 57's on the snare, the toms had sennheiser 504s and a 421 on the floor tom. Octava MD-012's for overheads. C1000 on the hat, Cascade on the ride. The kick has the normal EQ, take away 200hz- add 3k, The rest of the kit has no EQ. There is compression on the kick and both snare mics. All of the drum tracks are sent to a buss to be compressed as a unit. The toms are gated.

It just so happened that the drummer actually knew how to hit the drums to make them speak. It was a Tama Starclassic set with Evans clear heads. The snare was a see-thru Pork Pie. Every Guitar Center seems to have one.

The bass was a (cheap) Spector through an Ampeg SVT 4 pro. I took a DI off the head and had a D112 and a 4033 on the 410 cab. I slid the tracks in Nuendo to get the sound. I also sent all the bass tracks to a buss to get compressed lightly.

The guitars are going through a Randall RH200 transitor head into a Laney 412 cabinet. I used a 57 and a 421. I moved the mics around until I got that sound. Both guitar players played through the same rig, 1 had EMGs the other had stock Jackson pickups.

The vocals were a 4033 and compression. The effects changed from song to song.

That's great. I was hoping there was no triggering. I just love real drums and this guy can obviously play. So many bands in this style have so much triggering and replacement going on that I wonder why they don't just skip the middleman and go with a drum machine. The fake stuff really sounds silly live. I guess I'm old.

Also good to hear that this was done with modestly priced microphones. Gives a lot of us hope.

Keep it up.

The live triggering is more about consistency than anything. A lot of guys that do really fast double bass work, don't hit hard enough to make the drum speak. Danmar pads can help, but they sound ridiculous as well. The other problem is getting a larger-than-life sound at high volumes without the drums feeding back on stage (when the guy isn't hitting that hard). The old answer was to put a trigger on each drum that was hooked to the key insert of a gate that was attached to that drums mic. That way the gate opens only when the drum is hit and shuts off independent of what is coming through the mic. Another benefit is the drummers can change sounds to match the ones on the album that each song came from.

I was recently in attendance at a very good death metal show, and 4 out of 6 drummers were using kick triggers. It was some of the fastest double bass work I have ever heard.
Nice sounding drums. I'm gonna have to work on my setup a bit. What kind of compression were you using?

The kick and snare were the waves C1 and the drum buss was an Rcomp. Bass was the Rcomp and vocals was the C1.

Sounds great the way it is, but I can't wait to hear it when it's fully mixed! Please bless us with the mixes!

FattMusiek said:
Sounds great the way it is, but I can't wait to hear it when it's fully mixed! Please bless us with the mixes!
It's done and mastered, consider yourself blessed.

VesuviusJay said:
What's nice is it gives us ametures something to shoot for!
In time and in tune is 90% of it. If you get a good performance, it sells itself no matter what the actual sounds are.

My #1 rule in dealing with guitar sounds: Don't use the channel with the contour knob. It takes the growl out of the guitar. You can always EQ out midrange that you don't want, you can't add something that wasn't there. Speakers also react differently when the mids are scooped, this also leads to wierd problems in the mix.

fucking awsome man. sounds AMAZING on my crap pc speakers. they are tight as hell. drummer is KICK ASS. pity i hate that kind of vocal other wise i would totaly check more of their stuff out. good work.

Farview said:
In time and in tune is 90% of it. If you get a good performance, it sells itself no matter what the actual sounds are.

My #1 rule in dealing with guitar sounds: Don't use the channel with the contour knob. It takes the growl out of the guitar. You can always EQ out midrange that you don't want, you can't add something that wasn't there. Speakers also react differently when the mids are scooped, this also leads to wierd problems in the mix.

I agree, add more mid than you would usually add and scoop the lows a bit more than normal as well. That tends to get me closer to where I want to be.

Back