"Middle of Nowhere", mix upload #2

GONZO-X

"Middle of Nowhere", mix upload #2

Dropbox - middle-2a_eq.wav

i think the fidelity of this link is better than soundcloud.

so, this is the 2nd round of mixing that i've posted public....
it's getting closer.

it's kind of a rocker, rock-steady sort of thing, a little psychedlic, nothing that a shot of tequila wouldn't fix.
:)

would love to know if there are any translation issues before i move on,
thanks.

I like the shuffle groove and all the guitar candy. Initial impression is that it's a little bass-heavy but on 2nd listen I decided I quite like it like that. Vocals are kinda pushed to the back, maybe some of the bVs could come forward occasionally. Nice jam

thanks for the listen, bulls.....
i'm going to bring those vox up, and tweak the bass a bit.
i did want the bass to carry the tune, so i think just bringing something like 62hz down a bit, and have it sit down just a touch, should do it

I dig this tune quite a bit. The part that starts at 1:15 was really cool and unexpected. Sweet arrangement. Vocal reminds me slightly of Marc Storace from Krokus. The whole thing has a really interesting vibe.

Mix-wise I feel like the drums are the weakest part. It sounds like you got a really good recording of a drum kit (or a render from Superior) and then applied little or no processing to the direct mic tracks. Overheads sound fine but the punch of the drums sounds like there is no compression, very little EQ, and little to no room verb. They sound small to me. Everything else sounds on point.

Agreed about the drums. They should be driving the song and they aren't. They come across small and in the background. The snare doesn't have a pop to it, the kick has no thump. Very flat sounding like compressed too much of the transients. And they need to sit more forward in the mix.

And you know I always dig your tunes. This one ain't up to your standards yet, but I'm sure you'll get it there.

All else is good.

I dig this tune quite a bit. The part that starts at 1:15 was really cool and unexpected. Sweet arrangement. Vocal reminds me slightly of Marc Storace from Krokus. The whole thing has a really interesting vibe.

Mix-wise I feel like the drums are the weakest part. It sounds like you got a really good recording of a drum kit (or a render from Superior) and then applied little or no processing to the direct mic tracks. Overheads sound fine but the punch of the drums sounds like there is no compression, very little EQ, and little to no room verb. They sound small to me. Everything else sounds on point.

hey sullivan! thanks so much for listening and commenting......
haven't heard the band 'krokus' in quite some time.... i remember covering a few of their tunes way back in the day.

agree with the drum comments, i'm still trying to get a handle on what i want the drums to do in this song.
i AM mixing from superior's mixer, so maybe i'll bust the midi out to audio (what i typically do) and mix direct from the raw tracks, and dial it in more.
i have much better tools in the daw that in that superior drummer mixer, as good as it is.....

i've got very little compression on anything, was going for more natural sounding drums....
i DO have a good bit of the ambient mics up in the mix,
but apparently not enough!
thanks again!

agree with the drum comments, i'm still trying to get a handle on what i want the drums to do in this song.
i AM mixing from superior's mixer, so maybe i'll bust the midi out to audio (what i typically do) and mix direct from the raw tracks, and dial it in more.
i have much better tools in the daw that in that superior drummer mixer, as good as it is.....

i've got very little compression on anything, was going for more natural sounding drums....
i DO have a good bit of the ambient mics up in the mix,
but apparently not enough!
thanks again!

I can hear the ambient mics and they sound good. The entire issue is the treatment (or lack thereof) of the direct mics. I had the exact same thought you did about having better processing tools inside my DAW than the ones Toontrack provides inside Superior. I also wanted to actually learn how to process drum sounds to get them to sound correct without relying on a preset. I've been at that a long time and I'm still learning but it's a fun process. The first idea I had was actually to reverse engineer the mixer settings in Superior and apply them in Cubase with better plugins and whatnot.

Once you get the drums on point this song will be the cat's meow.

Back