middle-eastern mando groove

Cool stuff going on here. Good stereo field use... Sounds to me like the ideas are there and just need to be pulled together a little tighter. The mix works and I like the ideas a lot. Needs development to take it to the next level.

Look forward to more :)

Anybody else got a moment to check out a new guy's tune before the thread disappears?

(Sorry, I just saw it was about to go to page 2 and thought he could use some more ears! :) )

hoss, my big fat greek wedding, very cool music. I like the mandos. What kind of electric mando you sporting there? we need more of this.

Not bad at all. The synth parts are well thought out. The mandolin is cool but feels a little stiff. Pretty cool stuff.

The quiro (that's how it's called right?) is rather upfront in the mix. But I kinda like that. Good stuff, needs to be tightened up a little like my main man SLuiCe says...

Is that a mandolin with an envelope filter? Cool!

One other thing (and I do hope I'm not crossing a line here, but I'm brought up with - and played - this kinda music so I'm picky about these things):

The melody could use a little more eastern ornamentation...you know, add some swoops and trills. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a sample (
). Not exactly the melody you're playing, I know. I'm sorry for screwing that one up, but it's only to give you an example right?

Please don't think of me of a smartass, I just want to help you remember? :)

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I appreciate the recommendation SluiCe. :)

dbt – you’re just down the road, relatively speaking. The electric mandolin is a Fender FM-60E 5 string. Kind of like a little strat… pretty inexpensive. I used the North Pole filter (a VST plugin) to get the envelope filter effect. Applied after recording the track.

track rat - I agree that the rhythm mandolin is a little stiff. It’s just a looped 4 bar section. A little mechanical at times.

pedullist – I’m glad to hear your comments on the style. This piece is by no means traditional middle-eastern… inspired, I guess, by this style. I have a hard time placing songs in a particular genre. You could probably call it jewish/klezmer too. The lines get fuzzy. I’ll be sure to check out your link. It’s always nice to hear music that’s true to tradition – not watered down or altered. I’ll listen to that guiro again too.

It's me, on my cister my father built for me....here's a pic:

cister.jpg

I used it on Trio too, as a mandolin orchestra (I should've asked you :) )

I love the sound of that thing. Would be great for this song.

Also, I just listened to Trio - cool song! Nice sounding bass in there. I like the chord progression too.

Thanks! Damn, I don't even know what chord progression it is.

And you can always PM me if you need the sound of my cister (or a basspart, a dutch vocal part, a guitar part....)

I love the idea of TRANSATLANTIC JAMMING!

Back