"Michaels House", a tune off the new bats brew album

GONZO-X

Michaels House by Bats Brew | Free Listening on SoundCloud

#02- "Michael's House"

this is the 2nd song on the album.

One of the songs, "michael's house", was a rowdy romp that i wrote back in 1998, for my friend who had recently moved into an older house, in a neighborhood that had been a very nice family neighborhood back in the day,
but had fallen into disrepair over 30 years time, and was known as a 'crack' neighborhood when he moved into it...

he truly thought he would turn the neighborhood around, one neighbor at a time, and pull all his friends that were wanting to buy houses, into purchasing a house near him.

when i wrote the song originally, it was really just a demo, but a celebration of his audacity and belief in the 'good' of people.

he died in that house, about 8 years ago. i'm not sure how, but he had been hospitalized previously, a health issue, i think it was an accident.

now i've written a new version of it, to basically celebrate his life, or as a kind of 'thank you' to the ether.

recording specific info:

2019-pedalboard.jpg

bought a new fuzz around the time i started working on this song,
made by Barber Electronics, it's called the "Exacta".
great fuzz, i use it quite a bit in this song.

Lyrics:

Michaels House

Michaels house, used to be
Kind of place, yeah, you want to be
Now it’s got a new friend,
Going to be the place again.

Michael is a trusted friend
Favors given, to the end
Road trip taken and he took my queen,
All the way to New Orleans!

Michaels house, was party town
But a friend in need, could hang around
Michael left without a sound
In the afterlife, he’ll be around.

Michaels house, used to be
Kind of place, want to be
Now it’s got a new friend,
Going to be the place again.

This is very well recorded, mixed and produced. I love the panning/stereo spread in the track.

As usual the guitar work and vocals were stellar , I Really liked the breakdown at the end with the vocals tying everything together. Great mix and clean "driving" drums and bass guitar , I don't know what else you could improve on. Enjoyed it .. mark

This is very well recorded, mixed and produced. I love the panning/stereo spread in the track.

hey La!
thanks for listening!
this has some production tricks with the stereo field going on,
as well as some just pure LCR mixing...

but the only TRUE stereo elements in the entire mix, are the drum overheads, and the stereo delay

As usual the guitar work and vocals were stellar , I Really liked the breakdown at the end with the vocals tying everything together. Great mix and clean "driving" drums and bass guitar , I don't know what else you could improve on. Enjoyed it .. mark

hey mark!
so glad you checked this one out...

it's a special one, that's been around since about 1998.

the drum track i wrote for this version,
is quite a bit different from the original demo..........
the original demo, sounded like some kinda metal freak trying to play jungle rhythms!!

LOL

it's a great demo,
maybe i'll post it sometime down the line...

Back