"Michaels House", brand new tune

Yeah I can hear that new gear buzz:D Sounds great man. Guitar is supreme. You're getting some worthy tones for sure. I like the chord progressions underneath the lead as well. Top performances too, you've pretty well nailed this one. Nice job

Yeah I can hear that new gear buzz:D Sounds great man. Guitar is supreme. You're getting some worthy tones for sure. I like the chord progressions underneath the lead as well. Top performances too, you've pretty well nailed this one. Nice job

alright bulls! thanks for checking it oiut,
new gear buzz,
not a huge purchase!! i can't afford purchases now, first time i had to pay income taxes in about 20 years!! rggrrrrrr
this one will get a cool vocal treatment, i don't think any of the fuzz stuff will survive the cut, tho.

so this is kind of a one-off.

This very very good. Playing, sounds just when I thought something needs to change here, go quieter, strip down it did - loved the last 30 seconds where it started going in a different direction made me want to here more.
You have complete nailed the sounds and overall mix - as you imply its the arrangement/storyboard that you can tweak to make the most of the great sounds and playing
Were the drums real or out of a box?
Regards
Paul

Hi there,

Nice song production wise. Caught from the start, which is good and kept my interest. It's begging for some Yes type vocals to me. But I will focus on the mix:

- The drums are a little dry to me and need some more compression and maybe some clipping to bring up the loudness without the "peaks". The snare needs some energy, but as you know, the snare always sounds like garbage even if you spend a year on it.
- I would back off the click of the kick and add more low end to it.
- Love the bass tone and where it sits. It pokes out when needed and sits back down - good job man.
- Excellent use of panning of the various parts. You fade some parts into sides and automate the panning so as not to overwhelm the listener with so many jumbled layers - great job there too - learnt something there myself!
- Other than that, not much else to fault mix wise - good tonal balance and good dynamics.

Keep or sweep but keep it up!

This very very good. Playing, sounds just when I thought something needs to change here, go quieter, strip down it did - loved the last 30 seconds where it started going in a different direction made me want to here more.
You have complete nailed the sounds and overall mix - as you imply its the arrangement/storyboard that you can tweak to make the most of the great sounds and playing
Were the drums real or out of a box?
Regards
Paul

HEY PAUL!
thanks for listening to this one.....
the drums are superior drummer 3,
so, they are real drums triggered by midi.

Fantastic song. So mind blowing music like this is made at the amateur level - or are you doing this semi-professional? How are you doing all the instruments? Is this a band of different individuals?

Fantastic song. So mind blowing music like this is made at the amateur level - or are you doing this semi-professional? How are you doing all the instruments? Is this a band of different individuals?

HEY STEVIE, THANKS for listening....

right now, i record all my own material, in a nice but small basement studio.
i've worked professionally on the road full time, cover bands and original music, for many years, some years back.
i do everything on the recording, including engineering, which is something i never aspired to do, but came to out of necessity.

Hi there,

Nice song production wise. Caught from the start, which is good and kept my interest. It's begging for some Yes type vocals to me. But I will focus on the mix:

- The drums are a little dry to me and need some more compression and maybe some clipping to bring up the loudness without the "peaks". The snare needs some energy, but as you know, the snare always sounds like garbage even if you spend a year on it.
- I would back off the click of the kick and add more low end to it.
- Love the bass tone and where it sits. It pokes out when needed and sits back down - good job man.
- Excellent use of panning of the various parts. You fade some parts into sides and automate the panning so as not to overwhelm the listener with so many jumbled layers - great job there too - learnt something there myself!
- Other than that, not much else to fault mix wise - good tonal balance and good dynamics.

Keep or sweep but keep it up!

hello jonlint!
appreciate all the comments...
the drums have a good bit of room mic on them,
when you crank this up on playback, it becomes more apparent.
a lot of the good 3d quality of the mix is lost in the soundcloud streaming.
at 48 k it sounds completely different.

i've done some tweaking of the drums, snare sounds snappy now, and the whole thing is running thru a 1176 plug, so there is some leveling happening now, with more level on the bus.

as far as the kick goes, my playback is showing a LOT of low on the kick, so i don't think adding more would help.

i always automate panning and volume on every track

it's the easiest way to mix, in my opinion, and throwing compressors across everything just ruins the sound.
i'd rather automate a vocal line manually, than throw a compressor on it just to tame level.
it sounds more natural that way.
and i do like to mix things in and out, i'm getting better at it!
thanks again for checking this one out.

Back