Methods- Marginally Off Topic

SLuiCe

If you're pissed about a thread with no MP3, here's a link to Lt. Bob's 25 year old smash hit, If I only had some pot. Send him a message, and let him know you support his cause.

(Sorry Steve, I was just remembering your Sarasota thread.... :) )

"I'm interested in what you think you do that makes your recordings sound the way they do. For example...I usually follow the same procedures with alterations here or there on most of my songs..guidelines if you will. Do you have any?"

I’ve been getting quite a few questions like this lately in my threads and PMs from people looking to compare methods and approaches, and I thought maybe I could more efficiently talk about them here and open up some discussion since a lot of us (I, for one) don’t have time to spend in the other forums. I choose to roam here where the actual music is.

I’d also like others to join in with their ideas. I know Pedullist did something similar to this that was very cool not long ago, but maybe in this one we can get a little more detailed. And I didn’t really get much of a chance to participate in that one. :) I’ll also answer any questions I can here. And hope others will to. There are a lot of new people here these days, and I know how it feels to just start out at this stuff. It’s goddam overwhelming.

Bare in mind, I don’t know what pros do. Instead of spending a lot of time reading their articles, I’d personally rather be finding it out for myself. But when I first found this site, I found some good starter help in some of the other threads for sure. Crawdad pointed me to the famous Sonusman article sometime last year (maybe someone will pull up the link), and that changed everything for me in terms of understanding the basics of EQ, etc.

So I’m not really qualified to say this is how it should be done, just what I myself do.

Approach: And I’ll try not to ramble, but to be as clear as my little brain will allow.

Here are some of my own guidelines, most of which I’ve learned the hard way:

You CAN NOT fix it in the mix. Just assume you can’t, and you’ll save yourself a ton of time and heartache and trips to this bbs. The most important stage for me is the tracking. Get it down the way you hear it in your head. If it’s not OK now, it’s definitely not going to be OK later. Record each track the way you want that instrument to sound in the mix. The thing to keep in mind I think while tracking is that you will most likely have to EQ that instrument if you have more than 3 or 4 tracks to be mixed. I thin it’s almost inevitable. So track it like you imagine it, and then later you can make the necessary EQ cuts that will allow each track to do its job. Almost every one of my tracks (other than synths which never get EQ’d) has at least some EQ applied. It’s the only way I know of to get a lot of very selfish tracks in the same room to play nice. More on that later.

Gear: The total cost of my recording-dedicated gear is about $2200. This includes my mics, pres, soundcard, monitors, and software. I did a bunch of research on the net and realized like rays of light beaming down from the heavens that there was recording gear that was affordable for us working folk. So if you’re just starting out, and looking around you going OH GOD I’LL NEVER GET GOOD SOUND WITHOUT WORKING 80 HOURS A WEEK, chill. Check out the gear forums and ask some questions. There’s a lot of good stuff being produced for musician-friendly amounts of money. By asking questions in the beginning, I haven’t yet had to replace anything I bought.

Process: 99.99% of the time I sit down to record I’ve already got an idea of where the entire song is going. If not, I consider it a scratch track, no matter how it turns out. Because with a little time away from it, I know I’ll see its underlying direction more clearly.

But assuming I already know how the story ends, so to speak, I create a click track upon which all things shall meet with confidence. Then I typically lay down my guitars, then drums, then bass, then maybe a synth pad or organ here or there if appropriate, then the vocal.

Technical: When I’m setting up my track to record, as I’m testing the signal I make sure it peaks at –12dB. For the uninitiated, this means that I have given myself 12dB’s of headroom before my track is rendered virtually useless due to clipping (distortion). Remember I am recording digitally, so running things too hot can be very bad. Hot tracks can give analog recordings certain warmth, but digitally it’s a bad idea. You can always slide the fader up later. Also, if you need to boost any frequencies via EQ, it will raise the volume of the track you apply it to. Recording at –12dB allows me to boost the occasional 1K on the guitar, or maybe 400Hz on the vocal without worrying about clipping.

If you’re recording vocals, stay still. I’m reading about compression ratios of like 1234569:1 @ –30dB from people. My vocal compression is almost always (unless I’ve got a lot of coffee in me) set at 2:1, sometimes 3:1 @ -10dB. For the rest I rely on voice control and proximity (distance and direction from the mic) to achieve a more natural voice recording that might actually possess some natural dynamic to it. I know. God forbid.

Harmonies: A lot of my stuff is moody and dark. So for those songs I record ghosts in my background. I like my harmonies to be heard with clarity, but they’re often sort of lingering in the air, not really standing right next to me. For this, I’ll back away from the mic to remove a few unnecessary details in the lows. When I mix them in, I add a little more reverb than the lead, and pan them about 30% to either side. I want them behind me, but visible on my sound stage. There’s a temptation I think for people to spread their harmonies (especially 2-or-more-part harmonies) from like 80% left to 80% right. I don’t like that because it puts my backup singers right smack in my guitarists lap. And as you know guitarists have huge egos and so do vocalists, so the ensuing struggle can get pretty ugly. (This is of course figuratively speaking).
For more up-front harmonies for rock sections I usually just keep the verb down, maybe raise the level, but I still keep them close to the lead by about 30-40 degrees left or right.

Guitars: I usually pan my electric guitars from 75% to 95% L or R. If I’m really pissed off, I’ll put 2 gits at 75% L and R, and 2 at 95% L and R. That’ll show ‘em. I record them using a SM57 on my amp, about 2 inches from the grill- side of cone, aimed at center. I leave the low end turned up on my amp, and subtract it as necessary in the mix, usually to sit better with the bass and lower vocals. The bass will usually need a cut around 80Hz and the guitar will usually need taming around 170 Hz depending on the song. My own particular lead vocal usually enjoys a cut around 5-600 to sit with the guitar more easily.

My acoustics are usually sitting at 50% left and right.

General: Get to know your reverb device. Learn what pre-delay does on your particular device. Learn how a high roll-off affects your overall vocal sound. Are those “esses” being dragged out even longer than they should, creating even more sibilance that you’ll probably try to kill with EQ and chase your tail like a cat on peyote? And when you make that 4500Hz cut to kill that sibilance, are you paying attention to what else you’re killing? Here’s my solution. Get it in the tracking. Control your “esses.” Use a “z” in place of the “s” if necessary. There are better singers than myself that might be able to offer more on that, but try to take care of it with your mouth, not your mixing board. But if your reverb has its own EQ, learn its benefits by experimenting.

At this point I’m getting sleepy. I guess it turned out to be kind of a ramble. But if there are more specific questions, I’d like to be able to answer, so ask and I’ll try. And I’m sure there are more general rules others can add.

Unless this thread is just completely ignored, then at least I was able to try and explain it to myself.

Last edited:
That is one solid post, holme's!!!!!!!!! "can't fix it in the mix"...... damn, have i learned that the hard way!!!!!! so true so true!

Another valuable lesson......mix on something decent!!!!. i had a thread 2 day's ago that i deleted, it was a remix of my wisc cover, "helpless breathless" well.....i mixed it on computer speaker's.
:rolleyes: I know i know!!!!!! the only guy's that got to hear it were stratomaster and jake owa.....the result's were.um...... let's say .......EAR SPLITTING!!!!! :mad: :D , i think i ruined jake's ear's!
i hooked up a book shelf system to my comp yesterday(better that comp speaker's anyway!:D and listened to that mix..my god, just horribly exaggerated high's!!!!!!!!!! "crispy" doesn't even begin to descibe it! It really got me thinking about how you really need to know your monitoring sytem..reference music ect.....

i was using headphone's to mix when i started, sold all my stuff, used comp speaker's..and now a book shelf system!!!!!!:rolleyes:

slowly but surely i am learning the HARD lesson's!

Thank's for the post, SLuiCe!!!...nice head start for us newb's!

It's appreciated!

P.s..I'm currently remixing "helpless" with the book shelf system.. I'm anxious to see what you guy's think!...might be posted shortly!

Peace

Rick

Right on!

I agree 100% that it's mostly in the tracking. That's assuming you have something good to record. You obviously don't have issues there SLuiCe.;)

The best you can do with the mix is adjust volume, dynamics, EQ and add effects. You can't add stuff you didn't capture when tracking.

Headroom is also something I think a lot of homereccers overlook. I always try to track stuff as close to the level I want it to be in the mix as possible to minimize my fader adjustments. Digital summing busses are the bane of most DAWs. By the time you drop all your faders to keep those hot tracks from clipping the mix bus you've added more noise from dither than you've saved by tracking hot to stay so far above the noise floor ( that is if your software faders use dither, and not truncation :eek:

You'll probably end up using more compression than you really need too to keep those pesky transients from clipping. Leave yourself some breathing room, and your mix will have more "life". Save the overall loudness level for the mastering stage.

Last edited:
Maine-iac,

Way cool. I can't wait to kick back and sponge up the stuff that is bound to spill as this thread unfolds! Your contributions are already in the folder(s). So much good info!
I've been playing for quite a while but only got into recording myself in 2003. This thread is gonna rule! Thanks for starting it!

Masshole

Okay, first...I use an Antares Autotuner as my preamp...The rest of my magic comes from using compression ratios that look more akin to somebody's odds of winning the lottery while being struck by lightening.

This is pretty enlightening overall. Just about every issue you speak of is something I've encountered. I really dug the part about the sibilance and the reverb--its so true. A while back, I did a bunch of live tracks, which sounded fine at the time. When I added the reverb, those s sounds just became brutal!

What interests me the most is the -12 db concept. Heres why. All the preaching about digital says that the lower the level, the less resolution in terms of bits. I've always tried to keep my levels as hot as I could, but not clipping. Since most of my EQ is subtractive anyway, I don't add gain.

But something M.Brane said: the summing in most DAW's is suspect. Hmmm..never heard or even thought about that before! I imagine he's right, though. For this reason, I am going to try a couple of tunes using the -12 db concept and see what benefits there are to this approach.

I definitely agree with the concept of getting the source sound the way you want it. No amount of processing will ever make a badly recorded track sound amazing. Keeping the pan slight on the BG vocals is also something I adhere to, along with giving them more ambience, so the lead cuts through more.

Finally, nothing takes the place of a good song, played and performed expertly. Great recordings of train wrecks are just detailed train wrecks! LOL!

hey, thatnks for the post. Its good to hear some constructive ideas from one whos work backs up his statements!

Well my big secret is, I never ever use compression........I just hate it. It sounds good when other people use it, but when I've heard the live take.....I can't stand even that little bit of loss of whatever the hell it is that gets lost.
So I watch my meters while I'm playing or singing and control it that way. If I go too hot, I just have to do it over.
Also during mixdown I always have to ride one volume or another and I have to remember to "turn track 5 up momentarily at 3:27 and then track 4 goes down the rest of the way." That sort of thing..........it's a pain in the ass but I prefer the live sound so much that I feel it's worth it.

Yea! I just got my new V93M today! Now I can sound like AL! :)

Sibilance 101

SLuiCe said:
sibilance - Here’s my solution. Get it in the tracking. Control your “esses.” Use a “z” in place of the “s” if necessary.
I can't do that, lol. I cannot control my SSs's...they just happen. I also find it impossible to sing z's in place of ss's, or do anything else like tweak gain knobs whilst singin'.

Now, most people wouldn't be caught dead posting as much as I'm about to post on one freaking letter of the alphabet, but for a LONG time, sibilance has been a huge, time consuming, annoying mess for me.

On the sibilance, if you can remember what consonants are coming up and change them into less offensive consonants while singing and still be able to think about WHAT you're actually singing so that some good old-fashioned emotion squeaks through every once in awhile, more power to you, lol...I can't do that. BUT I CAN TURN MY CONDENSOR TOTALLY SIDEWAYS AND SING LIKE I'M NOT THINKING, and that fixes it... I know I'm probably not imparting any big secret here, but that's something that I guess I've seen before, but never done successfully until recently (with a U-87). I see people talk about singing OVER the mic, or turning their heads on the hard consonants, and none of it ever worked for me to create anything other than drive-by car effects on my vocal, and vocal takes that had all the life and emotion of Saran Wrap. Turning the condensor literally sideways and singing across it is my new "FINALLY, thank GOD...Something that works" thing. It also acts as a natural low cut filter, too... No more pop filters for me, baby!!

All mics are different, but I've tried this on a grand total of TWO condensors now, so I know that I'm totally right about this and that it is universally applicable to YOUR situation, lmao. None of that harsh 4500Hz stuff sticks on the track, and you're left with this soft consonant that actually sounds like something you may have heard on the radio a time or two (once you add that stereo plate reverb and tape slapback delay, that is). :D :D

My voice still sounds the same to my ears when doing this, btw...so don't think you're gonna' be robbed of all the subtle nuances that your expensive German thing is supposed to capture just by singing sideways...NO NO NO...it's still getting all the good stuff: it's just not getting blasted with the harsher elements of the human voice.

Biggest benefit - you don't have to think about anything other than whatever it is you're singing.

Good morning...

I should also add that a lot of the methods I described, minimal compression, natural de-essing, etc...are also means of improving performance. High compression ratios all the time for example don't teach me to control my voice IMO. You don't need a $500+ mic (but I wish I could afford one to see how they sound on me!), but a decent mic will tell you a lot about your voice and maybe help you to figure out how to better USE your voice. You can buy a mic like mine brand new for $200. And when you're happier with your singing, "mixing" won't mean masking with effects, and insane fader riding.

Again, I try to employ or create recording techniques that encourage improvement in performance. Why? Because this way, with each recording the performance aspect goes more smoothly as I gain more musical control, and I can get more music done since I, like most anyone here, have a real job too.

Ah, the technical version of my Writing & recording procedures thread. Very good, SLuiCE!

If I have the time, and if anyone's interested I can try to explain some of my procedures in more technical terms. :)

My ears are awaiting Pedullist!

Sluice-- You mentioned a while back you use Drums from hell for your drums..are they just samples? WOuld they be able to be used in say Fruityloops? They sound very full and uh..real and i'm been trying for ages to find something like that. Just listen to MY songs..you'll hear why im in such need!

Printing now. Thanks. Oh, and don't stop here just because I printed this. I can print again!:)

Like crawdad, the thing that stuck out most to me was the -12db headroom (followed closely by the minimalist compression strategy). You say, "You can always slide a fader up." But you can always slide it down as well.

So I guess I have a couple of questions: 1) what is the benefit you see in using that much headroom, and 2) how do you get mixes the volume and power they have (repeating Powderfinger's question)?

I'll try answering myself. Tell me how far off I am.

Answer to #1: Leaving -12db of headroom gives you plenty of safety for the spots where you need to boost somethng. You sort of implied this in your post. But then I'd ask, why not just record it hotter, slide the fader down, and create your headroom that way?

Answer to #2: I would have said lots of compression, but you blew that one for me. Ok so I guess this isn't really an answer after all.

I'm starting to remix 'Stupid Song' and I'm going to try to use what for me will be a lot of compression (not 123456789:1 @ -30, but something REAL REAL close :D). It's as much an experiment as anything. We'll see how it sounds.

Thanks SLuiCe.

powderfinger said:
when you use the -12dB of headroom, how do you end up making your mixes loud enough? that seems like a lot.

That's what I was thinking too. I've heard others recommend -6db
so I'd like to hear some more opinions on this.

Most excellent idea for a thread Sluice. There should be lights coming on in many heads before this is over.

Twist

Great info guys. Keep spittin' it out!

As of today my recording career has been ongoing for almost eleven minutes so I don't have too much of a right to post any tips but.....

These are some real beginner type things that maybe someone can benefit from.

Listen to your tracks solo. Sometimes a track will sound decent as you play it back in the mix, after recording it, but really it's just so-so. If it is strong enough to stand alone, then it's a polished enough performance to get a quality product out of at the end. That falls under the get a strong track from the beginning concept.

Are those vocals really on? If you sit there with your guitar or keyboard and check the intonation of certain vocal notes while nothing else is being played the marginal ones stick out like a sore thumb.

Sure it's a tiny little thing, but as you keep stacking tracks and adding more tiny little things you end up loosing that keen edge that takes the recording from yea... to wow!

Joe

Back