Metalhead28, your opinion please.

Chris.

Yes, I am summoning you by name!

Just wanted you to take a listen to this metal band I recorded yesterday. I left out the vocals because I just wanted to focus on the instrumental mix right now.

I haven't done a lot of mixing yet, just cutting out guitar hiss and stuff and then I put the snare and kick to some parallel compression. Also eqed the bass so the kick could punch through. I noticed on the bassist's amp that he had a giant boost at 40hz so I decided to let the bass guitar live below the kick drum instead of above as I usually do.

Anyway, advice?

(And yes, you can of course reply if you're not Metalhead28.)

Last edited:
i like

hey i listen to it and i love the way you recorded the drums
i think they might be just a little too loud, but then thats just my personal opinion
but besides that i like the way the guitars sound really clean

could you listen to my recording of my metal band and give me some of that constructive critisicm please

www.myspace.com/fallofgomorrah

Hey man the drums sound great. There are a couple of things I might change...
I think the snare has a little much in the 250 or 300 range. I think it might sit better with a little cut there, and maybe a boost up high for more bite - like around 5k. Just an opinion though. It still sounds good.
I just tried a wide boost on the whole mix from around 2.5 to 5k and I think it helped out because it sounds just a little dull there.
I think the kick might be a little loud, or maybe the guitars could come up a bit instead.

This sounds great cranked up, nice work!

Yay for positive feedback. I'll post some more with vocals when I get that far. Thanks for listening guys!

And just for the record, the name of that song is "I Can't Believe We're Eating People."

Drums are too loud.Especially at the intro. As MetalHead said, take some low end off and add some high end to get more snap.
The snare really dominates the mix although it shouldnt.
I dont like the toms. Maybe a bit to much attack on them?
Bass and guitars sound nice.

Some tweaking and it could sound pretty decent.

Eck

Sounds better.Snare couls still do with less low end and a bit more high end snap. Try cutting the low mids at around 200-300 maybe.
Tom hits around 45 are too loud. Also do the same roughly for the toms as Im saying you should do for the snare. Then tweak to taste.

Your getting there.
Eck

hey can you hear my first recording of a metal band and tell me what you think

www.myspace.com/fallofgomorrah

like i said ...this is my first recording of my metal band so dont expect much

digi001
16 track mixer..no buses.. 4 outs
behringer c-3
protools 6.4
mac g4 dual core
ibanez stack
(i borrowed someones 57's to mic the amps)
jackson
epiphone les poul

Back