Metal Mix: with M-Audio BX5a

WeeWoo

I got a new pair of BX5a's, and worked on this metal track for a few of hours. The mix was actually fine before but I figured I would tweak it just a tad with the new monitors.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6538678

Drums need a lot of work, any opinions on how they sit/sound is appreciated. (Addictive Drums)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Cool i've got the same monitors and did a metal song on here a few days ago. Yours sounds very clean. Almost too clean for metal needs some grit somehow. Yo got the guitars double tracked? Try quad tracking maybe, alter the tone slightly?

The guitars are DI, which may explain the problem, I plan on reamping through an actual guitar rig in the future.

Guitars are double tracked. Quad tracking is so hard, my playing isn't very tight so I often have to do a million takes before getting it right.

Thanks for the input.

There's no bass on this? Either that or you lost it in the mix.

The problem with DI guitars is that they are really in your face. You can get them into the mix, it just takes some really creative eq'ing and reverb.

Also, about the time I was really digging this, it abruptly stops... give me some vocals, and a complete song man!

You need some ambience (reverb with little to no predelay and short tail) on everything to make the instruments sound like they are in the same room.

I added a bit of reverb to the drums and guitar (not uploaded), thanks for that tip guys it sounds a lot better!

There is bass in this song, but I wanted it to just thicken the sound of the guitars - let me know what you guys think.

Also, about the time I was really digging this, it abruptly stops... give me some vocals, and a complete song man!

Thanks, the song is actually done just need to record some of the bass and finish programming the drums, and I need harsh vocals if any one wants to contribute ;)

Guitars sound pretty smooth, bass needs to be a bit more aggressive though. And the drums have to sound more natural. I use AD too but I spend literally hours programming and EQ'ing the single parts of the kit, so take your time there, it's worth it.

Cheers
Joe

Back