metal

B.SABBATH

I always appreciate the great feedback, but this time you may want to skip it if your not into metal.. this is probably the heaviest tune I ever posted, and it will just sound like noise to some..

if your into that sort of thing, any comments on the sound are appreciated..

thanks!

top of the page

d.p.a.s. www.nowhereradio.com/samij/singles

I'll give that "turd" response and say I downloaded it and will listen to it later and come back and say a couple words...

off to do some jammin' for a bit...

hi Sam!

:)

Ah, a newbie....

Mixmkr, welcome to the board! Be sure to check some of the others too. And be nice

LOL

;)

nice work sam

This is some really cool heavy stuff you got here. Reminds me of something American headcharge or someone in that vein might do. The bass sound is really cool, what did you use?
I was wondering where your other thread went that i posted on, but i guess this is what came of it. I like this version with vocals alot better.
Thats some really abstract/crazy lead you got going on there. I cant really make any mix comments since i don't have monitors hooked up to my computer. Nice work, but you dont need to hear that from someone like me.

Mixmkr, how's your progress on the banjo? Why have you stopped posting?

B.: this is your best yet, you sound like Hitler! LOL

Excuse me, couldn't help myself. :)

I likey. The guitarsolo is again, pleasantly weird.

But I'm drunk and on cans. So better don't listen to me.

This sounds like one of your other songs... similar, anyway.. the progression... maybe like "Zoid" or "Elephant Man"? Similar, anyway...

Helium baloon voice in the beginning? Or some more of those acid voices??? Cool...

AAHA!! METAL!!! Speed metal.... like giant mag wheels spinning while you beat the shot out of those drums...

Now, you're playing these drums by hand, right? Damn that's good... wasn't aware the Roland unit had a double-kick pedal.

LOVE the screaming... like lava in your throat...

Nice guitar leads, btw... the guitar work reminds me on some level of Primus' guitarist... kind of how he goes off doing his own thing, while the bass and drums are somewhere else... but the connections are still there... good stuff.

participant said:
kind of how he goes off doing his own thing, while the bass and drums are somewhere else... but the connections are still there...

Proper description of jazz........eh............by the way. :)

B.SABBATH

Simply demonic and very well done!

I must give you props for doing such a great job of giving clarity to all the instruments in this piece. Most commercially released stuff that I have heard recently seems to be mixed very poorly with no definition of full range drums and with bass guitar parts that are totally muddy and over blown in the mix.

You mix shows audiophile sensibilities and that is a trend sorely missing in the speed/death/thrash metal genre these days.

The vocals on the other hand were well done and not raspy or harsh in any way but, I couldn't understand a single word of what was being sung, (screamed). I need closed captioning!!:D

Very impressive and miles ahead of the pack in every sense of the word!

Cheers! :)

the drums on this one sound like your best yet......props on that for sure.......

the production seems to be great.....it all fits quite well

nice and heavy.......great mood

Freak!

You know I mean that in a good way.:)

This is some cool shit, but it's a tad dark mix-wise. It could use just a bit of presence (mainly the guitars & cymbals), and the vocal could come up a bit. I doubt that would make it any more understandable though.:D

Oh yeah, be careful with that helium. It displaces the oxygen in your lungs, and can cause dain bramage if you breath too much.;)

Well.........it sounds incomplete without the sax part but hey! Whatcha gonna do?

I think this is the best drum sound you've gotten so far. Nice and full without getting boomy....very nice drums.
Metal music isn't my thing so I don't know enough about the genre to comment.
I like that git ride at about 2:40 or so........sounds a bit like a violin.....pretty cool.

This song is nuts. Crazy fucking nuts. And I like it!:D

The drums are really good. I'm not real familiar with your stuff. Do you track live drums, or are these samples? Either way, they sound really good.

I also think the vocals could come up a little bit.

Overall, a very cool and twisted metal song.

Lt. Bob said:
Well.........it sounds incomplete without the elec. banjo part but hey! Whatcha gonna do?

kinda exactly what I was going to say...

Lt.....pass that over here, wud ya??

I actually liked the one second of hiss that precluded the song.

I think this one had a lot of your L1 as my 'peak meters' were peaking! Maybe not... doesn't really matter I suppose.

Seems like the guitars took second role to your drums on this tune.

I'd still like to hear some 'brown sound' out of you...where the guitars sound like they are really moving some serious air and the speaker cones are certainly dust free.

There is a power kind of sound that just oozes wattage and there is a very strong potential intensity that becomes apparent. ...like your guitar is just on the verge of wanting to jump of a cliff and commit suicide. You definately cannot take your fingers off your strings without serious concequences..much less even think about setting it down without total meltdown to your speakers. That is why many people can just play a power chord "A" for dayzz and just get off on that. If YOU had THAT sound, it would probably be pretty rich. Keep your same chromatic movement harmony stuff you do a lot, but give it that live- concert- studio- sound. Van Halen had HIS version. I know there are other ones out there. I think you need a Marshall actually. I good ole 50 watt head...and a nice slant cabinet. Probably not what YOU want, but if I was your producer/manager/agent/pimp/sugardaddy...and made you do what I say...you WOULD have THAT sound. Then...I guess you'd be back in the 80's!! ha!.. hey Pedulist.... thanks for the welcome... seems like a nice bunch of guys around here....except for dem foreigners... ya know...dos wimpies across the pond!!!!:p

oh...Sam...if you moved out of NY.... you couldn't get away with this... Just don't move to Calif.:eek:

Sounds nice n' heavy here. I like the drum rolls yeh.. good n' sweet n' plenty uhm.. yeh!!

buddaaa budda bududua udududdudududududududududududdudududududududududd bobobobmbboboboboboboboboboboboboboboboooobobobobobobobobobobobbobooboboboboboboboboobbobob
booaaahha bobaa nbaa bobobob bababababaaaa

that's me playing the drums (110 piece kit :D) along to this song.

No mixing adds here, but structure wise i'm sensing an improv element in the outtro. Perhaps leave the listener with something they can latch on to. Solid solid state mon, excellent production.

Are you going to share with us what d.p.a.s stands for?

This fit my mood nicely arriving at home this evening. Even the munchkinish voices were strangely familiar. You do heavy quite nicely and the production is superb. Nice lead stuff going on and I think enough has been said about the drum programming. That crazy lead is hitting me again. Niiiiiiice! Did I mention the drum programming smoked!? Nice job!

I'm with mix...I would love to hear your guitars through an amp. He's right on the money about that on the edge feeling. But I know it would be hard to pull off in your apartment.

But nonetheless this sounds awesome. Especially the drums. I think you hit the vocals spot on. Good mix.

So what's up with the drums? Acid? FL? Triggers? Or did you go out and buy a Sonor kit to play in your apartment? :)

thanks for the feedbag!

I used Fruity Loops to program the drums.. the midi out of my computer is hooked up to a Roland TD-8 drum sound module.. I attached a picture of it.. no extra effects, compression or e.q. at all on the drums.. even the drum reverb is straight from the Roland..

mixmkr - hey mix.. I agree with you, but I do think I can get a better guitar sound than I captured here.. a real amp would be the way to go.. A friend of mine wants to sell his Mesa Boogie Tri-Axis with a 90 watt mesa power amp and 4x12 cabinet, but he wants a lot of money for it.. I didn't give the guitar sound much thought this time.. also, I'm in this habit lately of making the drums too loud to try and compensate for what the limiter and the mp3 conversion does.. the drums seem to get buried in the end so I over compensated I think.. I don't know how people get the guitar and the drums to both be loud and in your face.. I can only get one or the other to rule it seems.. As far as this L1 thing goes, I always start out saying I'm not going to push it so hard, but I get caught up in the volume war.. Another beating my music takes is after I recorded all the tracks and mix it, I burn a CD and then rip that wave into sonar and apply the L1.. The problem with that is I'm applying mastering effects to a 16 bit wave.. Once I straighten all that out, there should be a big increase in my fidelity and clarity.. yeah I agree with what you said.. Halen does rule! Fair Warning is one of my all time favorite albums.. thanks mix! good to see you still lurking around.. your on the money when you want to be..

Pedullist - thanks Ped! I'll be contacting you for some narrative soon..

Wireneck - thanks for checking out both versions! I'm glad someone thought the bass sounded good.. I played a keyboard patch on an Alesis Qs6.1.. (sometimes I'll use a Roland XV 20-20) I compressed the life out of it, cut some sub lows, and added a hint of distortion to it.. I tried to play it with the proper feel.. I picked up my real bass (that needs to be intonated,) and worked out what I would play on the keys.. I'm glad you caught this.. some people only know my stuff as lame synthy instrumentals.. thanks!

participant - hey Chad, this is basically the song 'fanfare.' all the basic riffs were translated from keys to guitar, and I played a bit with the arrangement.. check out both outros and you'll hear exactly what I mean.. check out mixmkr's reply for the drums.. it does support double bass (2 separate pedals.) yeah the beginning was supposed to sound like a child.. I guess it didn't come off like I planned, but at least it's weird.. thanks for the Primus comment.. Frizzle Fry is a classic album for me.. thanks Chad..

The Ghost of FM - thanks Ghost! even though your a new guy, I feel like you've been here as long as the rest of us.. your a great addition to the board sir! (studiovols too)

powderfinger - thanks powder! I spent some time on the drums..

M.Brane - thanks Brane! my fear of harsh sound seems to be keeping my mixes muddy.. the cure is worse than the illness..

Lt. Bob - thanks Lt.! your open mindedness never ceases to amaze me..

Dethska - check out mixmkr's reply for the drums.. yeah I guess I wanted the vocals to be mixed more like another instrument instead of the main thing.. "Twisted Metal!" great game.. thanks for the comments man!

Khompewtur - hey Khomp, d.p.a.s - diesel powered adrenaline shower.. those are the first words in the first heavy verse.. yeah the ending was just free style solo fun.. I probably enjoyed playing the lead more than I liked listening to the results.. thanks mang!

Zikes - thanks a lot Zikes!

SLuiCe - check out mixmkr's reply for drum stuff.. I agree too, but I know I can do better than this.. I tried to find the right balance of guitar to drums.. too little made it sound techno.. too much made it sound harsh.. I had fun doing this one though.. thanks Tom!

I'm almost done with a Halloween song, but I guess I'll wait until this thread disappears.. Thanks for all the great comments! Have a good weekend..

the TD-8

Attachments

• theclansmanlrg.jpg
    theclansmanlrg.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
I was just reading mixmkr's comments again while I upload some stuff for someone. I'm actually one of those people mixmkr's describing. I just get off on a tube amp cranked and just riding the sustain and overtones for like 5 minutes. My first real experience with that was a few years back at a New year's eve party. A friend had a 50's Gold Top Les Paul with P90's, running through a Rat pedal into an Ampeg bass head. Good God Almighty. If you had that tone you could take over Hell. Right now it sounds like your just hoping the devil retires. :) It sounds awesome, don't get me wrong. But not as alive as could be. But we know your apartment limitations...I've had them myself, and may soon have them again sadly.

Anyway, I thought this tune ripped. Fearless.

I'm listening on some yamaha 'puter speakers (2satellites, 1 sub)
the drum to guit ratio sounds excellent to me

I don't hear that it needs any more "live" feel

it kicks a(butt)ss to me

diggin' the arrangement

Back