Melody/Counter Melody - Does It Work?

rayc

retroreprobate
Hi Folks,
The link will take you to Sandpaper Castles 1811.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=469622
It's another female vocal. There are both a vocal melody & counter melody - each for the same set of lyrics.
I know there are quite a few probs with the mix - please hone in on these BUT - most importantly - let me know if the dual vocal lines works or not.
IF you'd rather one over the other please let me know which.
Basically - I couldn't make up my mind so I experimented & quite like the combo but am unsure if it works for other listeners.
Once I have a confirmed vocal I can begin mixing in earnest.
Cheers
rayC

I like the tune. I think the melody/counter is pretty interesting. Myself, I would leave it. Gives a different dramatic feel to this tune. I think you could dry up the vocals a bit. Seems like quite a bit ox verb on them. It might be on the entire mix. Take some verb out. I'd like to hear the vocals a bit drier, and see how they sit. The song has a nice, meloncholy feel to it.
As far as the vocal lines, I personally like them. It gives the tune great depth.
Ed

I think it works, gives it a nice twist. Like Dogman, I'd like to hear the voclas a little clearer. Nice melody and you captured the type of overall sound the type of song needs. Keep the countermelody, it's very haunting...Nice.

Three from three

Thanks folks,
Three out of three seems a pretty good indication that the two work well enough together.
I'll get to it next weekend I hope.
Thanks for the opinions & other directions.
The vocalist, Miriam, may be a little taken with the Enya school of da Vinci's "sfumato".
Cheers
rayC

Oh,
Forgot - the guitar solo is only my fourth ever & sounds like it as well as if it's played by a bassist which it is -I know. The guitar is an Epiphone Sheraton 2 played through a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Cry baby Wah Wah and an original tiny Pignose amp with the preamp/line out of the pig mixed with a mic'ing of the of the same & the twin lines blended for a mono recording. Doesn't sound as good as the complications of the recording but it was an interesting process to go through.
Cheers
rayC

Another very cool melodic tune rayc. Yes - I hear the Enya resemblance in Miriam's vocals - she's very good, melodic, nice tone, good range. The two vocals are good together, with a good mix between the two parts. I would like to hear what they would sound like with the counterpoint mixed with some panning to give them more separation (just curious). Are you using the Omnisonic on this? Maybe take the reverb down and see what you get. I can hear that the reverb is helping to blend the parts together but it might also be blurring them a bit. Reducing it might separate the vocals some. I think overall the levels/mix on the various parts are good in this one. Are you compressing the mix or is this mainly riding the faders? It sounds good!

Edit - cool lead too....

4/4 = Keep It!

Ido1957
Thanks for the feedback. No compression on this one. I'm still trying to learn how to use my little Alesis Comp/limiter - & haven't been game to give it a geurnsey yet.
Miriam will be chuffed with all the positives she's been getting.
I didn't us ethe Omnisonic on this one just reverb & chorus some of which was on the line as I recorded it but I'll take heed of the general thread & cut back on the stuff. You are right about theblurring.
I only did a basic mix & didn't move from centre much when panning. I'm trying to mix in mono then pan but it's a hard task especially as I'm still coming to grips with EQ carving though mono really makes the point with that technique.
I set some pretty micro controls events on the auto faders - glad I learnt how to do that - I was going bonkers trying to mouse mix.
Thanks for the comment re the lead. Very bass player BUT I'm beginning to understand the concepts slowly.
SO, gentlefolk, keep the 2 melodies, dry up the wet voices & look at separating them a tad.
Cheers & thanks again folks
rayC

Back