Melodic Metal

Wireneck

I recorded this song a few years ago with the intentions of having vocals. After 10,000 people trying to sing about dungeons and dragons in a power metal vein, I eventually accepted defeat and called the whole project off.
Last month while seeking a vocalist for a completely different project I came across someone who had the sound I was trying to achieve. So here I am 3 years later, recording vocals for the track.
I no longer have the individual tracks for the music (sadly all i have is an mp3 of the mix) the tapes for the adat sessions are long gone. The vocalist is only 18 and this was her first time recording/working in a real band situation. I think she did a great job.
So the music mix is pretty much what it is. I no longer have control. How is the vocal level?

Praying for Deliverance
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=282681

awesome

sounds great. the drums epecially sound good. She did an awesome job, on pc speakers, sounds good, i'd probably lower the overall mix when she's singing, and then bring it back up inthe solo parts. Sounds like she;s competing with the guitars .....but overall, that is one kick ass song!!!

JasonBird

Vocal could be louder relative to the instruments during the louder sections of the song. Quite a fine voice and overall recording, mp3 or not.

Jason- thanks for listening. I will do a little more enveloping with the track for balance. Glad you dug it.

Timothy- thanks for listening. I am glad you liked it as well.

Pretty girl, pretty voice.

I've never been a fan of melodic metal with female singers...but it works.

She does need to be lifted or in some other way ride over the more hectic sections.
Otherwise it'll woprk a treat - pity about the tost tapes.

Sounds good to me... It's like if Lacuna Coil was good... :) Just joking, they arn't that bad... She has a great voice and the song suits her very well. Good job on this one.

The music sounds good. She is a decent singer but not for that style of music. Her voice is way too soft which makes the song sound wimpy. You need someone that sings like Dio or Bruce Dickinson.

JaykeMURD I can't say that I am a fan of all that many female vocalist either. She came out and auditioned and it just gave me a totally different vibe/dynamic for the music. Thanks for the listening.

RayC thanks for listening. I did some enveloping to bring her up a little bit. I wish I had kept better track of my Adat tapes but I have moved a lot in the last 3 years. No telling where they are.

MonkeyManx thanks for the positive feedback. I like Lacuna Coil's female vocals a lot but their music paired up with that horrible guy singer pretty much kills it for me.

Ocnor To each his own I suppose. I personally am tired of every metal band having another Dio or Dickinson wannabe fronting the band. I think the softness of her voice works in the same sort of vein that Katatonia's singer works but who knows, thats just me. Appreciate the listen and the critique.

Hey Wireneck. I can honestly say it's not what I would expect to hear with that music, but it does create a whole new dimension within it and it's very enjoyable. She has a great voice.

Thanks for the positive feedback Will. I am definitely going for something atypical. Did you get a chance to hear Cortical Tectonics yet?

Wireneck said:
Thanks for the positive feedback Will. I am definitely going for something atypical. Did you get a chance to hear Cortical Tectonics yet?

I ordered it, don't have it yet.
I did hear the sample on the Laser's Edge website and I was blown away...can't wait to hear the whole thing.

Hey wireneck, I love the music, guitar playing etc and she has a great voice but on just one listen it sounds like the vocals are from another song laid over the top of your music. Her voice has that Evenessance type quality but it seemed like the music and vocals didn't gel together!

:( :( :(

Sorry but that was my honest opinion!

I had another listen and the phrasing of the riffing/melody lines of the guitar is out of sync with the vocal phrasing!

nice mix.. i'd personally have her do some back up vocals and play around with it a bit... i'd throw a vox vocoder flanger and phaser in at different parts to give it a bit of a exotic effect

whoa... i realised you already did at the end... great work young grasshoper

Gorty thanks for the comments/feedback. Everyone has their own taste and thats what makes music so awesome, thanks for being honest.

Decipha thanks for the listen and comments.

hey man this souds really good but the guitars overall could use some balls and some more bass....... but unfortunately its a bit late......... really ncie job on this one though man.

sure is a fast barrage of notes while she's singing, during the chorus i guess it is, and they compete for the same sonic space

Sort of makes me think of a mix of Dream Theater, Into Eternity & Lacuna Coil.
Works well for a first effort.. I'd like to hear her deliver a bit more of an aggressive approach.. not extremely different mind you.. I understand what you're saying about Katatonia but consider that Katatonia isn't exactly aggressive musically either.. When the music is as technical as this I think it calls for something a bit more emotional. And I don't really think that a female singer of this style can carry the duty fully... some heavy male vocals here and there would offset them well and give it a nice balance.

Back