a mellow tune i just mixed - "Twilight Rain"

GONZO-X

"Twilight Rain"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2302&alid=-1

this is a new 'rendition' of a song i originally wrote in 1999.

this is only guitars, bass, and vox...
a different, future full blown version with drums, and slightly slower, is in the works.

this was recorded in 'MAS' mode, which on my 18 track machine (Roland vs1880), turns it into an 8 track machine.
yikes.
why did i do that?
LOL

:D

-comprised of 7 guitar tracks, 4 vocal tracks, a bass track, wind chime and rain/thunder tracks.

14 tracks in all, bounced down to 6, mixed to 2.
the rain courtesy of the creator(s)
;)

The rain sample at the beginning is too indistinct - even with a reasonable amp & h'phones it sounded like noise & ended very abruptly so that it seemed the tape moise ended suddenly.
The music - your voice reminds me in eaqual parts of the fellow from Yes & Robert Wyatt.
the music is Yesish as well.
Very nicely played.
Is that a drum I hear thudding occasionally in the background or are you tapping the plate on your guitar?
The bass sound is almost Proggy Genesis except yours is fatter - I prefer yours.
Nicely done, I kept looking for a Roger Dean LP Cover to roll on.
Beef up the rain or get a more destinct recording of it.
Some percussion would be nice.
Very lovely nevertheless.

rayc-
thanks for listening...
good ear, on the rain track....
i went back last night, and re-mixed the entire thing, with a different angle on the EQ's and the levels and pans.
i'll post soon...
i brought the rain up quite a bit, re-eq'd it so it'd sit pretty, and more evenly blended it in and out of the sections where it is.....

Yes is a name that pops up quite often, when i do certain kinds of songs (like this one)

i'm a huge Yes fan, but they were never an influence..
meaning, i never learned any of their songs, and only sang any of them in the shower.
LOL

i guess that's a good thing, that it reminds somebody of anything!
maybe i should really break out my close to the edge album, eh?
that, and Fragile.

any percussion, would have to be hitting the guitar... there's nothing else in there....

thanks again for listening....

106 listens, as of right now, and only one comment...
hm.

either no one's into mellow tunes, the mix sucks donkey tail, or my breath stinks.

;)

C'MON, JUST ONE MORE COMMENT....
just tell me it sucks, and i'll go away.
for a while.
maybe.

I enjoyed it. I thought that everything sounded pretty well done. Maybe the vocals were a bit too loud, but thats always a tough standard to determine with those kinds of songs because they are so vocal intensive.

One other thing, the song was a bit long for my tastes. The volume seemed to drop during the guitar solo section, so I thought it was ending, and for some reason that felt like the natural ending on the song. But that is probably just me because those are a personal taste issue.

But aside from that I thought it was a good song. Nice guitar tone. Whats your guitar rig?

nice track. i too found the rain at the beginning confusing, sounded like white noise at first, then i got it. not sure if that's a bad thing, sometimes it's cool when you finally "get" something. other than that, a very nice recording. everything sounds bright and airy. maybe a touch weak in the low-end, but beyond that, a fine job!

Oh, this reminds me of the late Yes, vocals, git sound, arrangement :) But anyway, nice song, and cool guitar playing

- Ulli -

I'm digging that :) I may not have much recording/musical advice because I'm a newbie.. but I love the song. It sounds great

Another excellent tune Gonzo-X ...... Your writing, arranging, playing and recording are top shelf......I've been a bit busy so I'm just getting to listen to this....

The Yes references are pretty spot on....

Love the guitar tones and echo/panning.....

Vocals are not too loud on the version I heard.....

Only thing is the rain doesn't sound "rainy" enough - funny cause it's real.....not sure how I would change that though. I could tell it was rain because of the title though.

Overall another excellent tune......

IS THE NEW MIX UP YET?
I'm looking forward to hearing it but am WAITING for the word.

YES
You've done it.
GREAT final mix.
You've brought the whole thing together. The vocal is snug between the guitars, the rain sounds like it. The balance is spot on & the bass has some bite.
Congratulations.

MCreel
thanks for checking it out...
vox, is always a hard call, especially when it's basically a vocal song, with accompaniment.
i tend to like to mix the vox more equal with the music, and i thought i'd go out on a limb here, and mix the voices the way i hear popular music mixed, which is with the vox louder than ANYTHING else!!
LOL
that volume drop during the guitar solo, that lull, yeah, it's intentional, and kind of follows the idea of the original, where the drums are kinda churning away there, with the bass rumbling along, and the heavy solo guitar tone comes in on top and does a spacey breakdown..
it doesn't translate that well to milder tones, and rather than fight it, i just let it really wind down...
i guess it didn't work! ;)

the guitar rig for this song:
Custom superstrat, mesa boogie mark2b head (60 watts), 1x12 roland cab with a greenback, all effects were added at mixdown. recorded with a ADK Hamburg condenser, into a A Designs Audio MP-1 tube mic pre, into a convertor and digital into my recorder.

xistenz
you're right about the rain.. check out the new thread i started that has a link to a brand new mix of this song! i tried to tweak everything, a lot of guys wont even notice the differences, but i think the folks that are into tweaking will notice immediately!

Ulli
thanks for listening... glad you liked it..

austinm08
i'm still a newbie!
i'll always be a newbie.......

ido1957
thanks for listening, and i'm glad your digging it....
see if the new version fixes the rain deal....

Shout It Out
a guitar lover, i see....... ;)
yeah, i dig guitars.....

rayc
you found it!!
LOL
thanks for the encouragement.
man, it's such a journey to try to figure this stuff out (on your own)
i've got folks here to help point me in the right direction......

thanks!

Back