Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Megaman!

Thanks

Megaman!

Sign in to disable this ad
    I created rock versions of some classic megaman songs with guitar, bass, and drums. The one thing I really want critiqued is the recording quality and mastering. I have a hard time understanding how to master correctly and would love some advice.

topman's theme

wily's fortress theme

Thanks

Thumbs up

Excellent, another game coverer. I do the same thing, only music from RPGs (Final Fantasy etc). Regarding the song; the playing was great and the guitars sounded good. I didn't care for the drum samples, but they are pretty videogame-esque.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=2076&alid=297

Listen to "FF4 - Airship". This is an older mix, I haven't had time to upload the new one.

Also, check these guys out:

http://www.minibosses.com/

Someone on the board showed them to me, they cover Nintendo songs too.

Thanks
    In case you haven't heard the original:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console...ff4airship.mid

Thanks

Talking

Who said anything about drum samples!?!?! Also, can somebody with incredible studio knowledge critique my first recordings in my "studio"?

Thanks

The Seifer-

i was never really a huge megaman fan so I have no way of judging the accuracy of this tune. It sounds like you got some descent guitar sounds, thats always a good start. The drum machine is a bit annoying in my opinion but it does fit in with the whole nintendo era thing. Sounds like a good first effort from what i can hear on my computer speakers.
    FattMusiek-the minibosses rock out on some contra like no other lol. I wish someone would do some music from the legend of zelda or the earlier resident evil games lol. That would be really cool. More castlevania as well.

Thanks
    ...and who said anything about a drum machine?!?!?

Thanks
    I listened to topman's theme.

Nice guitar playing. Real tight performances. Pretty good guitar tones.

I would however say that the "main" distorted guitar part could have used a little more midrange definion. But that's a minor nitpick. Try playing around with it if you agree. I also might suggest rolling off some the guitar's lows. They're overlaying the bass a bit.

There are quite a few people around who can spot a drum machine or samples immediately. I'm not one of them. But having said that, this sure didn't sound like a mic'ed up kit. That's probably why you got those comments. One other thing on the drums... Those crash cymbals are panned pretty wide. Kind of gives a ping-pong effect when you're listening on headphones. I'd suggest bringing them a little closer to center.

Hope this helps. Good song, solid guitar playing.

Thanks
    Yeah, I understand about the EQ definition, but its so hard to get it right especially when I don't have real monitors and no real mastering experience. I used a VST plugin called T-Racks and just tweaked some of the presets a little to get a decent master.

Edit: Also, after studying some commercial cds, I noticed that a lot of them pan certain drums in a kit in certain directions based on how the kit is arranged, so I experimented with that a little.

Thanks
    Originally posted by The Seifer
    Also, after studying some commercial cds, I noticed that a lot of them pan certain drums in a kit in certain directions based on how the kit is arranged, so I experimented with that a little.
    Yeah I'd most definitely still pan them. I was suggesting just not panning them as wide.

Thanks
    Originally posted by The Seifer
    Who said anything about drum samples!?!?! Also, can somebody with incredible studio knowledge critique my first recordings in my "studio"?
    Holy shit, I take back anything positive I said. How rude can you be? Asshole. You probably didn't even listen to my cover, so self-centered.

Those drums are not tracked by the way.

Thread Information