A Measure of Salt

Cool song. I am listening on phones so I dont have much way of judging the bass. Very catchy stuff.

All the vocals were recorded with an RE-20 into an RNP.

Vocals sound very pro. Sounds like the real deal, mainly because it is.:cool: Its a nice length too, just long enough that it doesnt get too repetitive. Excellent.:)

This is really well put together. The mix/production is so far beyond what I can conceive right now that I am not qualified to offer specific opinions, but that never stopped me before, so...

I don't think there's too much bass at all, if anything maybe not enough for my taste. I love the reverb on the rhythm guitar at the beginning. The cymbals generally are a bit too much level-wise for me. During the "hey, nobody is going away" part, the toms sound strange...small-ish...too much like the snare...maybe just a little more boom to them would be nice. I dunno...sounds pretty frickin' great though as is.

Yeah I think the bass sounds cool. Cool song all-around. Has kind of a vintage Cheap-Trick feel to it. Really cool opening to the song. I'm only listening on cans, but I kinda trust these headphones and I'm thinking I could personally use a little more drums. The cymbals are fine, but more kick, snare, and bigger toms would work for me. The vocals sound excellent. Great job there. Good job overall! :)

Vocals sound very pro. Sounds like the real deal, mainly because it is.:cool:
Yep. I'm very jealous of your vocal sound. What (other than having a good singer)(and the mic you mentioned) did you do to the vocals? Your EQ, Compresion settings, verb, other fx, etc? If you remember any of that.

Real nice, catchy song. Good work!

I like the vocal sound a lot. I'm listening on the run just on earbuds but just wanted to say the song's great. I like the changing meters. Cool gtr solo. Cool Kinks-type retro intro.

Reactions: XLR
What did you do to the vocals? Your EQ, Compresion settings, verb, other fx, etc?

Thanks, Andy. I doubled the vocals and applied a Sonitus FX LA2A plug. Nothing else. The plugin is at it's default setting. I didn't mess with it at all.

Vocals sound very pro.

Thanks, David. I'm exited about this mic.

This is really well put together.

I appreciate it. I really like Cold Cubin' btw. I case you hadn't noticed. :)

I'm thinking I could personally use a little more drums. The cymbals are fine, but more kick, snare, and bigger toms would work for me.

This was recorded with Glynn John's technique, with the addition of kick, snare, and stereo room mics. I can do anything except mess with the toms. It's always a crapshoot - I try to set things up the same way as a previous successful session and the tiniest differences make the biggest differences. I think we could use more kick too. (cue Incanus groaning).

I like the vocal sound a lot. I'm listening on the run just on earbuds but just wanted to say the song's great. I like the changing meters. Cool gtr solo. Cool Kinks-type retro intro.

Thanks, Tim. That's Mark Searle on the lead guitar there - I wish I could take credit for it. I really appreciate your feedback.

Good tune dudes!!!! Vocals are killer. I like the bass, and I agree with what Greg said about the drums...a bit more kick and snare might work. Maybe drop the main rhythm guitar a db or 2 first, and see what pops out....might not work, but it's pretty loud, so it might not hurt the tune to turn it down a smidge.

Cool song man...really fun. :cool:

This was recorded with Glynn John's technique, with the addition of kick, snare, and stereo room mics. I can do anything except mess with the toms. It's always a crapshoot - I try to set things up the same way as a previous successful session and the tiniest differences make the biggest differences. I think we could use more kick too. (cue Incanus groaning).

That's the only O/H technique that I know of that I havent tried. I play my Ride right where one of the mics is supposed to be, and I ain't moving it.

Just behind your right shoulder? Or 45 inches directly above the center of your snare?:confused:

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. What you just described sounds like the recorderman setup. I use the recorderman setup. It works well. The Glyn Johns setup has a mic off to the right side of the kit pointed sideways over the floor-tom and basically right at the hi-hat (for right handed drummers). The other mic sits above the kit pointed straight down betweens the rack toms.

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

Maybe we're talking about 2 different things. What you just described sounds like the recorderman setup. I use the recorderman setup. It works well. The Glyn Johns setup has a mic off to the right side of the kit pointed sideways over the floor-tom and basically right at the hi-hat (for right handed drummers). The other mic sits above the kit pointed straight down betweens the rack toms.

http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/glynjohns.htm

You are correct. In that case, I'm using the recorderman technique!!!

You are correct. In that case, I'm using the recorderman technique!!!

In that case it's kind of odd that you didn't get a bigger tom sound. I find the recorderman setup to get all the toms you could want. :confused:

Maybe it's the tom size+tuning+room. I don't know.

Yeah man, it's great. The drums might be a little low. Vocals are incredible. As usual, great changes and rythms. Can't really add much else. It's awesome.

sounds great! Great mix too. If I may make comprisons, the verse and the break down have a very STP via Tiny music from the Vatican...vibe to it, then it switches to some hard rock beach boys thing, then towards the end when it breaks into the acoustic part, it switches to a Steve Miller type vibe. It all works well together though. Am I totally off on this? Cool song.

This is just a kick ass song in general. A lot of fun to listen to and the vocals, as everyone else says, are great. Kind of sounds like a fusion of STP, Zeppelin and Ozzy (on the vocals, in a way...). :D

First impressions...

Bass definitely needs more low-end definition but not necessarily more volume...

Overall mix is well balanced - I can hear all the instruments and parts.....

I'm almost hearing a touch of slapback on the drums (except not on the overheads, of course).

There are some occasional phasing issues you need to check for, especially during the end bit.

But I really like the song!!!! :cool:

Yeah man, it's great. The drums might be a little low. Vocals are incredible. As usual, great changes and rythms. Can't really add much else. It's awesome.

Thanks, Rami. The drums can definitely use work. I appreciate the listen!!

sounds great! Great mix too. If I may make comprisons, the verse and the break down have a very STP via Tiny music from the Vatican...vibe to it, then it switches to some hard rock beach boys thing, then towards the end when it breaks into the acoustic part, it switches to a Steve Miller type vibe. It all works well together though. Am I totally off on this? Cool song.

Not really, I guess. It's "heavier" than the stuff we usually do. But we got this big ol' guitar rig and one thing sort of led to another.

It seems harder to mix distorted guitars. I don't know why.

This is just a kick ass song in general. A lot of fun to listen to and the vocals, as everyone else says, are great. Kind of sounds like a fusion of STP, Zeppelin and Ozzy (on the vocals, in a way...). :D

Thanks, pikingrin!

First impressions...

Bass definitely needs more low-end definition but not necessarily more volume...

Overall mix is well balanced - I can hear all the instruments and parts.....

I'm almost hearing a touch of slapback on the drums (except not on the overheads, of course).

There are some occasional phasing issues you need to check for, especially during the end bit.

But I really like the song!!!! :cool:

Maybe adding in a little of the direct bass in could help add some string definition.

The slapback and phasing are probably in the room mics, which were close to a wall in order to have a straight on look at the kit. I made the field too wide and I think the (stereo left) mic is grabbing early reflections off the wall.

I think I'll try taking just one of the room mics in mono and see where that takes us.

Thanks!!

First listen on headphones sounds real nice man, I love the vox and the guitar is for sure sweet sounding.

I have to agree with the few that mentioned the bass could use a tad more low end sound and the drums possibly some more "presence" but heck I am a noob and just giving my 2 cents. Great job and cool tune ~

Back