Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MD421 mic for my amp (less harsh than SM57b on heavy guitars)

Thanks

MD421 mic for my amp (less harsh than SM57b on heavy guitars)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi guys...I may be finally resolving my harsh midrange guitar problems. The Sennheiser MD421 seems to capture the sound I hear in the room MUCH better than the 57b did, at least on heavier guitars. (I know...I'm probably a little late figuring that out, all you mic gurus! )

So I recycled an archived idea from last year to try it out, because I just don't have time to get into major writing right now. Please let me know what you think of the heavy guitar sound if you have any opinions. Any other comments are welcomed to. Don't be afraid to tell me what sucks.

No Pedulla basses were harmed in the making of this recording. All keyboard.

Thanks!
    Tom

WINDED

The signal chains are as follows...

Heavy gits: Les Paul> Mesa Boogie Mark IV> Senn.MD421> Art Tube MP> Delta 66 sound card. No EQ. Just a little bussed reverb.

Clean gits: Paul Reed Smith> Marshall JCM 900 (don't own it anymore)> SM57> Studio Projects VTB-1> Delta

Acoustics: Seagull> Octava MC012> VTB-1> Delta

Vocal: My ex-smoker's lungs> SP C3 (looking to replace as it hypes the shit out of the 2-6K)> VTB-1> Delta
    Last edited by SLuiCe; 10-12-2003 at 15:23.

Thanks
    I don't know what the deal is with the other thread of the same title. There isn't even a post in it. Hiccup in the server I guess. There's no edit option on it. Sorry!

Thanks
    Sounds great, I love the clean bits, but as thats not really what we're here for, I'll mention the heavy guitar, which sounds great too I like the song a lot
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, the bit with the two lead guitars panned hard left and right working together at around 2:10 - Gorgeous
    People these days wont take responsiblity for anything, but don't quote me on that.

Thanks

Re: MD421 mic for my amp (less harsh than SM57b on heavy guitars)

Originally posted by SLuiCe
    No Pedulla basses were harmed in the making of this recording. All keyboard.

Not for long, if you want my opinion

I love this. The arpeggiating keyboards (but the rest doesn't) remind me of Muse (which is a compliment).

The guitars sound TERRIFIC!
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    That drrrrrrr-thingy in the guitars during the verses is awesome. I'd really wanna play on this.

Keyboards are a tad loud btw.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    i've never thought of your guitar sound as too midrangy.....in fact, it feels like this one might have a tad too much midrange removed (not much though).....when the electrics kick in, it seems like there might be more of an impact due to relative volume if there were a few more mids, but i'm no expert at this kind of stuff.......it's a good guitar sound though

Thanks
    downloading...

Thanks
    Tom,
    Guitar sounds really sweet! As far as the rest of the tune, I love the dynamic transitions from mellow to heavy and back. Then you mix it up a bit. That stuff just works! The keys sound sweet with the heavy guitar also in those sections. Nice production.

Ok, now I have 33 posts. So when do I loose the newbie status? Perhaps I have to put up a tune first. Hmmm...

Thanks

Collosal tone!

Man, you got downright orchestral with this one. It's rather HUGE!!
    Oh yeah, the heavy guitars - they sound really nice - crystal clear and well-defined even through all that squared-off-wave processing - the best word that comes to mind is 'full', meaning I can hear a lot of dynamic range. (What loudness level are you recording at? - Just curious.) There's no way one could say the midrange is harsh.

But aside from my over-simplified glimpse at the obvious - the tune is stunning. It just might be the fullest soundscape I've heard out here. Like I said - it's huge!! Love it!!
    ~Milan
    MC Gitarz

Thread Information