MD421 mic for my amp (less harsh than SM57b on heavy guitars)

SLuiCe

Hi guys...I may be finally resolving my harsh midrange guitar problems. The Sennheiser MD421 seems to capture the sound I hear in the room MUCH better than the 57b did, at least on heavier guitars. (I know...I'm probably a little late figuring that out, all you mic gurus! :rolleyes: )

So I recycled an archived idea from last year to try it out, because I just don't have time to get into major writing right now. Please let me know what you think of the heavy guitar sound if you have any opinions. Any other comments are welcomed to. Don't be afraid to tell me what sucks. :)

No Pedulla basses were harmed in the making of this recording. All keyboard.

Thanks!
Tom

WINDED

The signal chains are as follows...

Heavy gits: Les Paul> Mesa Boogie Mark IV> Senn.MD421> Art Tube MP> Delta 66 sound card. No EQ. Just a little bussed reverb.

Clean gits: Paul Reed Smith> Marshall JCM 900 (don't own it anymore)> SM57> Studio Projects VTB-1> Delta

Acoustics: Seagull> Octava MC012> VTB-1> Delta

Vocal: My ex-smoker's lungs> SP C3 (looking to replace as it hypes the shit out of the 2-6K)> VTB-1> Delta

Last edited:
I don't know what the deal is with the other thread of the same title. There isn't even a post in it. Hiccup in the server I guess. There's no edit option on it. Sorry!

Sounds great, I love the clean bits, but as thats not really what we're here for, I'll mention the heavy guitar, which sounds great too :) I like the song a lot

Oh yeah, the bit with the two lead guitars panned hard left and right working together at around 2:10 - Gorgeous :)

SLuiCe said:
No Pedulla basses were harmed in the making of this recording. All keyboard.

Not for long, if you want my opinion ;)

I love this. The arpeggiating keyboards (but the rest doesn't) remind me of Muse (which is a compliment).

The guitars sound TERRIFIC!

That drrrrrrr-thingy in the guitars during the verses is awesome. I'd really wanna play on this.

Keyboards are a tad loud btw.

i've never thought of your guitar sound as too midrangy.....in fact, it feels like this one might have a tad too much midrange removed (not much though).....when the electrics kick in, it seems like there might be more of an impact due to relative volume if there were a few more mids, but i'm no expert at this kind of stuff.......it's a good guitar sound though

Tom,
Guitar sounds really sweet! As far as the rest of the tune, I love the dynamic transitions from mellow to heavy and back. Then you mix it up a bit. That stuff just works! The keys sound sweet with the heavy guitar also in those sections. Nice production.

Ok, now I have 33 posts. So when do I loose the newbie status? Perhaps I have to put up a tune first. Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Collosal tone!

Man, you got downright orchestral with this one. It's rather HUGE!!
Oh yeah, the heavy guitars - they sound really nice - crystal clear and well-defined even through all that squared-off-wave processing - the best word that comes to mind is 'full', meaning I can hear a lot of dynamic range. (What loudness level are you recording at? - Just curious.) There's no way one could say the midrange is harsh.

But aside from my over-simplified glimpse at the obvious - the tune is stunning. It just might be the fullest soundscape I've heard out here. Like I said - it's huge!! Love it!!
~Milan

SLuiCe

I am not too sure about this new guitar tone? It has a wonderful full tone to it but, it might be too full in the bottom end or at least its interaction with the bass guitar. They are sounding too boomy either together with the bass or if it's just them alone that's creating this bottom end that is sounding very tubby on my speakers.

The song itself, is yet another masterpiece of alternate rock with some very original compositional elements to it.

You write some very scary shit, Tom!

Nice! :)

Hey Tom,
Great improvement. The dirty guitars are huge. They might be lacking a little high end. I don't know if you'd want to do that through eq on your software or with the amp, but the sound is a little duller than it could be. Don't get me wrong though, it sounds great.

I like the harmony lead you added.

always liked this one.. that's a nice tone.. lots of space.. with a microscope out, I think the heavy guitars are a bit loud ONLY because they dwarf the drums a bit.. guitars sound closer in while the drums sound a little far.. only in the heavier sections.. there's a bit of a woof, even though I can't really hear a bass in the louder parts.. that's my only gripe.. maybe the keys are a hair louder than necessary.. I'm sure you'll remix it.. this tune rules!

The song was wicked sweet!:D

I think the guitars were too loud. At least on my system. They sound great but they overpower everything else.

Boy, those guitars really do sound heavy.

ps-
I love what you did with the 421 on "Anxiety" that song is SO GOOD!!!

First off, I'm really drunk right now, so whatever I say is proabably not appropriate (I don't get drunk often, but this time I seem to be worse off than usual)

Anyway, listening on computer speakers, and I think the vocals are some of your best mixed that I've heard. I can really make them out, which I sometimes have trouble on your tunes...(I seem to always be saying "raise the vocals" ... these sounded just right)

The guitar sound is excellent on here. The bass may could be raised just a tad (sorry...you drew attention to the bass, so I was really listening for this)

The drums sound great. Damn, this mix sounds excellent, cept' maybe the bass being raised a tad!

To a drunk dude just hangin' out in the clinic, this sounds excellent to my ears...okay, I'll need to listen to this sober when I can...No worries, though, I think this one sounds very good!

:D

This was the first song I ever heard from you, and its still one of my favorites...

I always thought it needed a bit of polishing to bring it up with your later stuff, I could tell you've learned alot since you first recorded this...

So having said that.... You did a great job on this... much cleaner and clearer, more defined....

I can understand the lyrics much better, they sound excellent!!

I like the added vocals at 3:26 to 4:06.. that is new isn't it?.. I dont quite remember it...maybe you just changed it a bit?..... hmmmm...

About the guitar... ummmm... It kinda seems a bit muddy, like its compeating with the bass.... I like the basic tone though....

Man those vocals sure sound good..

And the synth/keys sound fine to me, I dont think they're too loud... Personal taste I think....

Your sound just keeps getting better....

You need to be unleashed on the world!!...:):eek:

Last edited:
Man I really love Christian rock!

LOL

Sluice, The last several songs Ive heard from you are recorded ,(to my ears) ,with a pro sound. Keep it up, and watch out for spending too much time at too many db's like me. The bottom end on this is outstanding. The break about half way through is Purrrrrfect :)

Keep them comin My friend

Peace
Bill

Bass is sweet....dig the riffs in the quiet part with the doubled guitar...
distorted guit sounds bottom heavy to me but, I am a mid to high distorted kind of guy....:D

I gotta get me an amp....this POD thing I have is OK but it don't measure up to what you guys do....like this one...
drums sound very well put together just a tad to far back inthe quiet sections...maybe there is just a touch too much verb on the snare...
I like the stereo fiels you created with the guitars man....
very full sound....
Vox sits nice in the mix man...very cool....

Good tune Tom,
I like it a lot man (how's that for being technical? :D )

If you ever get down this way man,
stop in for a jam session...and some pie.....like pie?
it'll be fun man.....ya know?

Joe

Tom,
Man the guitars come in like a force. This has always been a favorite of mine. I love the new guitar sound. Nice work. I hear what others are saying about a little light on the high end, but for me they fit so nicely with your vocals. No competition there. You can hear the detail in both your vocals and your guitars. I might bring the heavy guitars down some as they seems to be a little dominant.

You floor me. This song is so good. The keyboard bass sounds really good and the part is cool, but if Ped gets his hands on this I think it will really make a difference. I think he will be able to get that growl along with a nice round bottom. :eek: :) Seriously, the keyboard sounds very good but, it lacks a little fullness and sustain.

A+

edit - "favorite of mine" sounds funny, maybe I should say favorite of yours. :)

After one listening on headphones: good sounds, but one question - why's the guitar way more upfront than the vocal(s)?

After two listenings: I'm starting to like this one. I'm getting used to the guitar being so outfront, and after a couple more listenings, it's gonna seem normal, like that's the way the song is and should be. You do inside one song what I aim at with a series of two or three songs...

After three listenings: gee, that's a really delicious sound you're getting on that electric guitar, sir. I'd still turn it down 2 dB. :D Serious.

Okay, now the song: 'she tries to taste the salt before it hits the wound' Yeah, that's magic.

I got a question: the guy getting sung about ('when will he return?') - is he some part of the personality of the guy singing the song? Or is it really two guys?

Back