MD421 mic for my amp (less harsh than SM57b on heavy guitars)

Thank you guys.

I gotta go take care of some crap so I'll be back with responses later. I just wanted to apologize about the loud guitars, but I did the "guitar-up" mix so none of the tone was lost in the bass, etc., so it could be heard clearly. That's why I didn't EQ it either. I probably wasn't clear enough about that, and I hope it wasn't too annoying. As some of you know, I've had real trouble with hyped midrange doing major damage to my mixes, a major problem especially for mixing vocals in more aggressive guitar sections. I'm gonna take Tjarko up on his bass offer and I'll give this a proper mix after that. But nobody said the guitar sounded too midrangey, and to me that's groundbreaking. LOL! Thanks...I'll be back. :)

I thought they sounded good. Very modern, maybe too much bass dialed in.

amp stuff:
Most Marshalls after the 70s, most notably the 900s, up until the recent batch that I'm not too sure about, used a circuit to give the amps a bit more bite as apposed to going to a fourth gain stage. As far as I know the boogies are 4 staged. Aside from being a quality amp with it's own unique sound it autta be better in high gain situations where volume is a concern.

Heavy song, tone suited the lyrics. The line about painting black and blue stuck with me.

CanopuS- I was a little nervous about that guitar duet. It sounded right to me, but I could hear how it might sound "off" to others. It's a bit unorthodox, you know. Thanks for the feedback.

Pedullist- You're on. I'll send you the necessary files ASAP. I would have asked you before but I wasn't sure if I'd be making much of an effort with this tune. I guess I probably should. Talk soon...hope work is going better this week.

powderfinger- Man, if you knew how much EQing I've had to do on previous guitar tracks you'd fully understand the extent of my anguish. These tracks here haven't been EQ'd yet, so maybe when i tighten up the low end, the natural mids will shine more. I'm not a big mid scooper, myself, but there was some serious boundary violations happening. :) Thank you Mr. Finger.

Zikes- I know I told you in that PM that you'd hear the drum samples well on this one, but I really needed that guitar tone heard to be sure i was heading in a good "tone" direction. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit that after about 15 years of off and on guitar playing I have never really seriously searched for my tone(s). This clinic here brings a lot of things to attention that might otherwise escape. For some of us, that can be a double edged sword. Anyway, thanks for stopping in. Oh yeah, "newbie" status changes I think at 100 posts. you're 33.3333333333333333333333333% there. ;)

MC Gitarz- I record digitally between -12 and -6dB. I had a thread a while back (search "methods", user: "Sluice", MP3 Clinic if you'd like) and we talked a lot about that. I usually shoot for that range because you get good resolution but also enough headroom to not have to process more than necessary. There were some different opinions, and I don't know what's best. Just do what I do. Glad you dug the tune. One of these days I'd like to lay down some warm clean leads over one of your nice acoustic beds. Let me know if one ever becomes available for something like that. Thanks for listening too.

The Ghost of FM- Definitely, I agree, it is a bit boomy. But I haven't EQ'd anything yet because I wanted to preserve the track for critique. In the mix, a nice low roll-off should do the trick I think. Maybe a small kick in the 4-8K and some 16-20k presence if necessary. And that don't do it, we'll just retrack the whole damn thing. That's the beauty of not paying a studio for time. LOL. Hope the song didn't scare you too much...it's like the complete opposite of your latest tune which was oozing with fun and smiles. Makes me feel morbid even writing about that stuff. Thanks for checking it out for me. Peace.

fprod south-
They might be lacking a little high end. I don't know if you'd want to do that through eq on your software or with the amp...
Of course I'll try it with EQ first, then retrack if necessary. But I think we're only talking a dB or two in the highs, which shouldn't cross that "synthetic" boost line. I think during tracking I may have been a little paranoid about it becoming too sharp or edgy. There are all those hard drums hits stabbing with the riffs too, a lot of percussive sounds to jab the ear. I'll try EQ...thanks Phil. Check your email.

B. Sabbath- As I've been saying to others, you're right about the guitar levels and the boominess. I should be able to fix all the when I EQ everything. I got a tired of not being able to track any detailed low end in the past and just wanted to make sure I caught it all. :) A few small cuts should do it I think. I definitely want those drums more up front in the mix, because they're really a major part of this tune. The keys will definitely come down some with the guitars. I may even do something a little different there. I'm hearing something less "digital" sounding in my head. Thanks Sam. I appreciate it.

Dethska- Thanks...yep guitars are too loud. (See 5 other responses above for explanation.) :) You checked out the "Anxiety" re-track/mix...very cool of you. Thanks for the feedback on that. I didn't want to start another thread on it...I've beaten that song to death. It's still gonna need some work...very difficult song to get right sonically for some reason. I think it's because that lead vocal is so hard sounding. I have trouble getting a guitar sound that sits well with it. I'll get there though. Thanks brotha.

boydrj- Thanks a lot. I give you credit making it all the way through this song drunk. I mean that verse riff feels drunk already in 7/4 time. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Kelly5150-
I like the added vocals at 3:26 to 4:06.. that is new isn't it?..
Yeah that's new. I had a dialogue there before and I guess I just got sick of hearing myself talking, and decide to keep the same basic idea, but make it more musical. Thanks for the rest of the feedback too!

wfaraoni- Thanks Bill. That's good advice about volumes, etc. I must admit things have been pretty loud around here lately. But I smarteend up and isolated the amp again. I appreciate the listen too.

joro-
If you ever get down this way man,
stop in for a jam session...and some pie.....like pie?
:D

Skids- We do love that nice round bottom. :) Thanks man. I've really gotta get to bed after this, my ears are shutting on me, but I'm gonna listen to yours tomorrow after work. Thank you!

dobro- Yep, the guitars will come down a little.
I got a question: the guy getting sung about ('when will he return?') - is he some part of the personality of the guy singing the song? Or is it really two guys?
You do come up with interesting questions. Like most of my songs, this is based on things that actually happened in my life. This one is about Phil and Laura, some friends I made when I was 20 living quite a ways from home and didn't really know anyone. These people were about 10 years older than me, and long story short, ended up really freaking me out. Toward the end of my "friendship" with them I noticed some bruises on her arms. And they had been fighting a lot lately. Before anything really came of it they split for Colorado together and I moved home. This song is basically the drama that was going through my head, but was ever so quiet in reality. Those lines are what I wanted to say, but didn't. Happens a lot in my songs.
Weird time, those days. Thanks Paul.

Doug H- Yeah, the Mark iV is 4-staged. Which has been a big factor in its learning curve for me. It just doesn't work like a Marshall. Which i'm fine with, but wow what a touchy amp! But being able to employ a wide range of tones is important to me. Thanks for the info.

erichenryus- Hey Eric, thanks brotha. "Good purchase" is a good thing to read after taking a risk like that. Boogie's aren't exactly pocket change, especially for me. But I do like the tones so far. Cheers man.

Thanks everyone. Very very helpful feedback as always!

The Marshall upper-mid bite is definately not here.

Not knowing the mic position, or the speakers you're running I'd say it could use just a bit of that bite back. It sounds very well defined for such a dark tone though.

BTW what cab/speakers are you running with that MKIV?

SLuiCe said:
erichenryus- Hey Eric, thanks brotha. "Good purchase" is a good thing to read after taking a risk like that. Boogie's aren't exactly pocket change, especially for me. But I do like the tones so far. Cheers man.

only other guy i know who owned one went in to debt to get it but never regretted it. i think that's always the way it goes with instruments. just buy the best and you'll never have to buy twice.

What the hell are you doing naming this thread "Uhm something about some # mic and # mic vs. mike".

Somebody could think it's all academic, be sure in the future to name threads like this "Uhm.... KICK ASS SONG INSIDE! COME IN A GET YOUR FREAK ON"

That is some freaky good writing. Booooggaaba booogaaabaa!!

I would say yes the guitars sound very good a rawer sound.

just listened again. sorry to post again but, that heavy guitar is exactly how i like it. you may have just usurped the role of my favorite crunchy guitarist on this bbs............B SABBATH (erichenryus ducks)

down with the POD, down with the POD, down with the POD,.....

did you record the part twice? two mics?

someday i'll buy an electric guitar and it will sound exactly like that, except i'll suck at playing it of course.

M.Brane- I can definitely get more of that upper mid bite. I went to extremes on this to be sure I really did have some control over it. That I wasn't just fooling myself into hearing what isn't there. The speaker is the EV Black Shadow, miked using a position similar to the one you described in my last thread. Thanks!

Eric- :eek: Maybe you could have a Mic'd and a DI category. :)

The guitars are tracked twice...same mic, then panned out. I'm really glad you dig it Eric. Obviously I completely agree with your buy-once philosophy. I only wish I had had the presence of mind to put it to work long ago. Cheers!

Khompy- hehe...thanks bro. Booogaabooogaa....nice. A heavy sound that's actually heavy. That's all I ask for in this boy band infested world. :) Thanks man.

nothing like a little violence to get ya going in the morning! (erichenryus pulls splinters of hickory from his left eye) i still love you sam :)

hey sam, what happened to your post? that was funny dude.

erichenryus said:
just listened again. sorry to post again but, that heavy guitar is exactly how i like it. you may have just usurped the role of my favorite crunchy guitarist on this bbs............B SABBATH (erichenryus ducks)

down with the POD, down with the POD, down with the POD,.....

silly eric..

*sam picks up his baseball bat and smashes Sluices amp, then picks up the nearest chair and hurls it at erichenry.. Pedullist gets involved and catches one in his glass jaw.. and any women in the room receive a pimp slap.. sam leaves in cuffs*

:D

B.SABBATH said:
*sam picks up his baseball bat and smashes Sluices amp, then picks up the nearest chair and hurls it at erichenry.. Pedullist gets involved and catches one in his glass jaw.. and any other women in the room receive a pimp slap*

oh, you were making it funnier. (erichenryus curls up in the corner of the showere and starts to sing 'the crying game').

Hey Tom,
....Im havin a bad week at work man. ...so, I havent had a chance/time to listen on my stuff at home..... aaaaaand trying to discern the difference between two mics from the puter here at the orfice is a no workey.
...soooo, just wanted to stop by and say the song smokes, and im sure if the mic sounds good to you, it sounds good:)

...are we still on for this evening..... ....lover...

g:D

Sluice,

Your drum samples ROCK so no problem there.

Listening to this tune, I finally started to get the gist of the lyrics at about the 4th listen. She reminds me of someone very close to me and I'm sure others would feel the same. Good stuff!

"Oh yeah, "newbie" status changes I think at 100 posts. you're 33.3333333333333333333333333% there."

Thanks for the calculation! Maybe I should start posting double replies.;) 33 1/3rd... how vinyl of me!:D

Sam- That'll be $1100, please, sir. :)

Guernica-
...are we still on for this evening..... ....lover...

You had me at hello.

Zikes-
Thanks for the calculation! Maybe I should start posting double replies.
Oooooorrrrr....you could post a song and feed the wolves... :)

SLuiCe said:
M.Brane- I can definitely get more of that upper mid bite. I went to extremes on this to be sure I really did have some control over it. That I wasn't just fooling myself into hearing what isn't there. The speaker is the EV Black Shadow, miked using a position similar to the one you described in my last thread. Thanks!

The EV's have a darker, cleaner tone than the Vintage 30's that I run. I like the added presence, and cone distortion of the 30's.

When you say "the speaker" does that mean it's an open-back combo? If so you might also try miking it from the back.

Bare in mind I completely dumped most of the upper mids on the amp when I tracked this, plus I had my tone knob on the Paul down a couple clicks. It really does have a lot of bite, I just left some of it out.

Yeah, it's a single speaker open back. I do plan on miking the back soon..it actually does sound pretty good back there from what I remember when I was originally trying the amp out at the dude's house. Do you recommend dynamic, LDC, or SDC for that?

SLuiCe said:
Do you recommend dynamic, LDC, or SDC for that?

Yes.:D

Seriously, it depends a lot on the the tone, volume level, and the room. I definately recommend putting the amp up on a chair, or a milk crate (my personal fave) to get some "air" into it. Especially if your on a concrete floor.

For heavy, loud rythym tones the dynamic up close will probably be the ticket although the SDC could also work well. I have some omni dynamics that are great for when you want to mic a loud amp up close without the bass boost.

The LDC farther back would likely be better for cleaner tones & solos if you like the sound of your room.

Ah, experimentation! That's part of the fun of new gear.:cool:

Damn, I cant listen rightnow since one is upoading and I gotta head to work.
I just had a 421 arrive today from someone, its a U5 in fairy nice shape got it for $225.
So you are digging it eh? Too cool. I'll listen later.
Paul

Back