A McCartney Cover

Simman

Here's a cover of the Paul McCartney tune, Young Boy form Flaming Pie. The song was played and tracked by Glazierman in our studio, with a final mix by yours truly. The song was tracked using an HD-24 through a Soundcraft Ghost.

Young Boy

Let us know what you think.

Last edited:
Very nice recording and mix (at least over headphones). I'm not familiar with the original, but I can imagine McCartney using this arrangement and instrumentation. The vocal, while certainly not mimicking him, also has the same general character. The slow down at 3:00 is a good break.

Lead guitar tone can be harsh at volume. Sent me grabbing for the fader ;)

Other than that I think it sounds really good Even great!

Vocals are awsome :)

Ya......... that lead can make you bleed :eek: At least to my ears.

jmasek said:
Very nice recording and mix (at least over headphones). I'm not familiar with the original, but I can imagine McCartney using this arrangement and instrumentation. The vocal, while certainly not mimicking him, also has the same general character. The slow down at 3:00 is a good break.

Thanks jmasek for taking the time to listen and provide feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

The origianl was a duo with Jeff Lynn, which accounts for the ELO feel in the arangement of the harmonies.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Freudian Slip said:
Lead guitar tone can be harsh at volume. Sent me grabbing for the fader ;)

Other than that I think it sounds really good Even great!

Vocals are awsome :)

Ya......... that lead can make you bleed :eek: At least to my ears.

Freudian Slip (great name by the way :D ) Thanks for the feedback. Not exactly sure about the lead but I've listened to the song about a million times now and I'm sure I've lost all perspective :D . Will step away and listen again in a few days with your comments in mind.

Glade you liked the vocals because there was considerable work getting them down. I think there are at least 14 vocal tracks (have to check track sheets) and could have used another HD-24 :) ; had to push some tracks up onto the computer. Equipment is like money, you just never have enough. :D

I do appreciate you taking the time, thanks.

No problem. I'm on my monitors that aren't generally harsh and pretty true but, it may not be an issue on other systems (car stereo, etc)

Once again very cool!

F.S.

Very nice, very enjoyable. This is one of my favorite Paul songs.

Simman said:
The origianl was a duo with Jeff Lynn, which accounts for the ELO feel in the arangement of the harmonies.
:confused: :confused: I thought it was Steve Miller? I know that Steve is on the album and co-wrote with Paul. Anyhoo, nice work, sounds great.

DavidK said:
Very nice, very enjoyable. This is one of my favorite Paul songs.

:confused: :confused: I thought it was Steve Miller? I know that Steve is on the album and co-wrote with Paul. Anyhoo, nice work, sounds great.

Thanks DavidK. I know Steve Miller is playing and singing on I use to be bad. I think the album was Paul an several different aritist. Elvis Costello is another artist on the album as well.

Thanks.

Really enjoyable listen!

I agree with Dr. Frued. The lead guitar could be lowered and EQ'd a tad.

Great vocal harmonies! :cool:

60's guy said:
Really enjoyable listen!

I agree with Dr. Frued. The lead guitar could be lowered and EQ'd a tad.

Great vocal harmonies! :cool:

Thanks for the nice comments.

Good news is I did not zero out the board ;) . I really need to get go and listen with clean ears and fix the guaitar parts.

Like Paulie's grandfather, "it's very clean" (extreme Beatle nerds will get this). Well done.

Great Job

Great job on the vocals/harmonies. I haven't heard this song in a while - loved it when it first came out. Your voice reminds me of George Harrison. Kinda neat, listening to a McCartney song with a George-like vocal.

I agree with Freudian: the lead guitar, although played wonderfully, sounds a little harsh at certain points. Perhaps adjust the EQ. Or retrack using a more friendly tone.

Also, I might suggest using a drum track that sounds a little less "drum machine." Although, yes, I realize that Jeff Lynne touched this song, and you have faithfully reproduced his type of drum sound. I just prefer something a little more "natural" sounding. It's just me.

Great job. Have you done any other McCartney tunes? Would love to hear some more stuff.

- Kevin

P.S. Shit, I can't get this tune out of my head. I hate that.

P.P.S. I really like the vocal sound. What's your recording chain?

Last edited:
Kevin Lowe said:
Great job on the vocals/harmonies. I haven't heard this song in a while - loved it when it first came out. Your voice reminds me of George Harrison. Kinda neat, listening to a McCartney song with a George-like vocal.

I agree with Freudian: the lead guitar, although played wonderfully, sounds a little harsh at certain points. Perhaps adjust the EQ. Or retrack using a more friendly tone.

Also, I might suggest using a drum track that sounds a little less "drum machine." Although, yes, I realize that Jeff Lynne touched this song, and you have faithfully reproduced his type of drum sound. I just prefer something a little more "natural" sounding. It's just me.

Great job. Have you done any other McCartney tunes? Would love to hear some more stuff.

- Kevin

P.S. Shit, I can't get this tune out of my head. I hate that.

P.P.S. I really like the vocal sound. What's your recording chain?

Kevin, Thanks for all the great comments.

I beileve that MaCartney actually palyed drums on the original; which accounts for the overdubs on the drum parts. I can definately relate to your "more natural dum sound" comment especially being a drummer ;)

The signal chain on the vocal tracks are a (Dave Thomas) modified Apex 460 into focusrite preamp, into HD24. Also a MXL V69 on some harmony tracks.

Don't have anymore "solo" McCartney but we are working on retracking a version of The Walrus and are thinking about doing A day in the Life.

Last edited:
Back