Maybe Someday - Please give mixing Critiques

mspin

https://soundcloud.com/renips/maybe-someday

Please take the time to let me know if you hear anything out of the ordinary. This song was the first song I used my new 12 string bass on.

Thanks

Maybe Someday
Written by Mark Spinner

Elvis Presley started
The Beatles sang and shouted
And Pink Floyd said that they wished you were here
Clapton, Beck and Page they played it
Hendrix came along and faded
Then a kid named Van Halen re-wrote the book

Same old song – Just re-born

Baby maybe someday
We’ll take out our favorite records
Listen to our favorite oldies
Turn it up and dance the night away

Baby maybe someday

Ozzy Osbourne ate it
Michael Jackson beat it
And David Lee Roth – well he was just Roth

Metallica they made it
The Rhinesone cowboy rode it
And David Bowie was Major Tom

Baby maybe someday

Baby maybe someday

Is the main guitar ducked or automated behind the lead vocal? I'm guessing you ducked it as it sounds like the compressor pumping at times. In the verses I really noticed that it losing too much volume (and coming back noticeably) between phrases. I think because of this the vocal sounds too loud at times. Bass could be louder.

Is the main guitar ducked or automated behind the lead vocal? I'm guessing you ducked it as it sounds like the compressor pumping at times. In the verses I really noticed that it losing too much volume (and coming back noticeably) between phrases. I think because of this the vocal sounds too loud at times. Bass could be louder.

I think you have a really good ear!!. I did use a fairchild 670 on the master and now that you mention it the compressor is doing what it is supposed to do. I will go back and see if I can adjust that. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

The guitars are definitely going up and down.
The vocal is too loud. It seems sung on top of the track and not with it at the moment.

The song is catchy and well performed. Stop the compressor and level the vocals and you'll already be a lot better of.

The guitars are definitely going up and down.
The vocal is too loud. It seems sung on top of the track and not with it at the moment.

The song is catchy and well performed. Stop the compressor and level the vocals and you'll already be a lot better of.

Thanks to both of you.
https://soundcloud.com/renips/maybe-someday

I went in and fixed the compression issue. Also brought up the bass guitar. I also fixed the aux track send levels. They were all over the place. Visually checking meters is as important as listening LOL.The track has a much more clear sound and is much better balanced. The vocals sound crisp and in the pocket.

You've really got an Ozzy Osbourne like quality to your voice, you know?

This is a lot better than the first mix.
The snare or maybe all the drums are a bit far back in the mix.

You've really got an Ozzy Osbourne like quality to your voice, you know?

This is a lot better than the first mix.
The snare or maybe all the drums are a bit far back in the mix.

I have heard the Ozzy reference before. I love Ozzy. I was always a big fan. Played a lot of his stuff as a kid. I sometimes can hear the similarity in certain phrasings and tone. I have also been told David Bowie also. Not sure I here that one but I love David Bowie voice LOL It is interesting. I will check the drums and see.

Back