Matchbox 20 cover

nicka

Hello all.
Here is a cover of Matchbox 20 of a song called unwell.
Its not of the quality of most of the songs i have heard here as its only recorded on a zoom ps_04 pocket recorder.
Its played and sung by a 16 year old that i tought to play guitar a couple of years ago and its totally recorded and mixed then outputed into the soundcard recording with audacity then converted to an mp3 with a little compression using audacity.
Its one take of accoustic plugged directly into the ps_04 then two takes of vocals with the second panned hard left and recorded in about 15 minutes.
I think it sounds pretty good and would love any suggestions on improving this for my knowledge of recording.
I have also used the internal mic of the ps_04 for the vocals.
Not bad i think for a box not much bigger than a cigarette packet.
I give full credit to Ashley my 16 year old nephew for his rising talents.

Match box 20_Unwell

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
this is pretty good, 16??

I hate when you post a great song and nobody replies, so here..
This is a GREAT JOB!!

vocals are great for a 16 year old, and the guitars are as well.
He is ON TRACK good job teach!!

FatesWebb

fateswebb said:
This is a GREAT JOB!!

vocals are great for a 16 year old, and the guitars are as well.
Well - yes -- good effort and performance, but has a very long way to go sonically... the guitars are thin & distant-sounding, and the vocal is boxy and sounds like it's been recorded through a Green Bullet (bandwidth-limited harmonica mic) from 20-30ft away....

Dig up a couple of recording books and start practicing the recording techniques!

Thanks for listening and replying guys.
I have a long way to go to get my recording skills up to scratch but with feedback from you guys i can only move forward i hope.
As for the teach comment,well i think i call him my teacher now. ;)
Below now is a picture of the 4 track recorder that was used for this complete recording.

Thanks.
Nick

Great performance for Ashley, grats. If you didn't record the reverb with the vocals try reducing it, alot. The recording sounds over processed.

Back